Player Watch #27 Thomson Dow - signed to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

With all due respects kind sir youre questioning the recruiters that have compiled a list that just won the AFL/VFL double versing your phantom hunch ,,,if that sounds ridiculous,,it probably is

they are good but not beyond fault

peoples can question whatever they want

was not high on dow personally but hes a tigers lad now lets get around him

His mum teaches my kids. Music I think. They drive down from Swan Hill to every blues game in Melbourne to watch Paddy. Now they gotta do tigers games too lol.

A young fella I know who has played against him said he plays a lot like Paddy but better hands and much higher ceiling. Pretty much what other reports have said.

Confident our development will get the best out of him. No pressure to debut, just develop for a few years.

We’ve certainly picked him earlier than where most people predicted him to be drafted and I’ll be honest I was also hoping for a different player at the time of our pick (Either Robertson or Worrell).

However the club and recruiters now deserve to be trusted. I know when Callum Coleman-Jones was drafted I thought we could’ve tried picking him up at a later pick, I know there was comments that selecting him was a stretch. Obviously he still has to prove he can make it at this level but he’s now one of our most highly touted youngsters and I don’t think anyone would now even consider changing that selection.

I can certainly see the mindset behind the Dow selection and I get excited with his high ceiling. I cannot wait to see how he looks after a couple of seasons in the VFL!

I could not understand why they didn’t chase him.

Yes Brando got a lot of s**t from Richmond supporters but he’s a damn good wingman.

Ah well Melbourne’s loss is Gold Coasts gain.

I know it's the wrong thread. But when you have a major weakness, but are otherwise a genuine contender you should go all out to fix it. A dual premiership player that directly addresses your main weakness seems an obvious choice to target. Perhaps it's symptomatic of why the Dees are where they are that they didn't go for that high end fix - like the Hawks, Geelong, RFC and now Eagles have done. The other teams win premierships and/or are contenders. The Dees aren't.

Maybe Sheds being there was no coincidence!! It's been mentioned a few times. If this is the case and he is considered Shed's replacement, he may avoid what was one of the biggest knocks on Sheds in the first few years. That being that Shed's team mates were not on the same wavelength as him and a lot of his passes didn't go to hand. Coming into a team where the players expect the unexpected and sometimes near impossible, young Thommo shouldn't have that problem. Lets hope this is so. :)

Welcome Aboard Thomson. All the best!! Go Tiges.

That's my thought. When Sheds was drafted some of the better draft watchers said he was so much faster by mind and hand than the other kids often he looked bad. I think it was KM that actually replayed tape to see what Sheds was doing and realized he was seeing the best option way ahead of everyone else and so his amazing bit of play was missed because the kid it was aimed at just did something stupid.

I don't expect another Sheds. But the package of evasiveness, amazing hands, and being a bit hit and miss might well signal that same combination as Sheds.

Once again completely outfoxed by SOS and Carlton. According to their fans and one of my mates, they've swooped us again and played the situation perfectly. They haven't made a bad decision in 10 years. Just hard draws and unlucky to finish in the bottom 4 every year despite getting every decision right. Staggering bad luck...:drunk:

Wonder which club Blair was on the phone too?
Was it a club trying too go up the order or us wanting too drop back ?
And why the F *** didn't the broadcaster have a split screen so we could who Blair was talking too?

On SM-A520F using BigFooty.com mobile app
He was on the phone to the kitchen
Balmey ate all the monte carloes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What i really like about this draft selection is that it proves to us that our recruitment team has a clear eye on the future structure of the club rather than just aiming for the now. When you start to see what players we have drafted recently and where they fit across the ground, you can see that our recruiters are making sure we have diversity of talent and roles developing. Dow is another example of this.

Last year we drafted, inside midfielder bulls who can win the contested ball and bulldoze their way through congestion and into space. Dow is not that type of midfielder. Dow is the type of player who wins the balls, somehow spots a player in space and handballs to them before the opposition even registers what has happened. Based on his highlights, he really does have that Edwards-eque skill set.

Dow is the sort of player that makes other around him better. He's the type of player who won't ever shine, gain all the pulpits or get 40 possessions. He's the type that all his team mates love to play with, the type that is a important cog in the machine.

Let's not tar him with the same brush as his brother or expect him to be the next star in our team in his first season - we are not that type of club or supporter group any more. Dow will become an important player for us in the future and he has a skill set we value and which makes a uniquely powerful club. Many of our premiership players were not even taken in the draft yet our recruiters still saw something in them that the other clubs did not. This is what makes us Richmond. This is what makes us the best. Dow is just another example of this.

What i really like about this draft selection is that it proves to us that our recruitment team has a clear eye on the future structure of the club rather than just aiming for the now. When you start to see what players we have drafted recently and where they fit across the ground, you can see that our recruiters are making sure we have diversity of talent and roles developing. Dow is another example of this.

Last year we drafted, inside midfielder bulls who can win the contested ball and bulldoze their way through congestion and into space. Dow is not that type of midfielder. Dow is the type of player who wins the balls, somehow spots a player in space and handballs to them before the opposition even registers what has happened. Based on his highlights, he really does have that Edwards-eque skill set.

Dow is the sort of player that makes other around him better. He's the type of player who won't ever shine, gain all the pulpits or get 40 possessions. He's the type that all his team mates love to play with, the type that is a important cog in the machine.

Let's not tar him with the same brush as his brother or expect him to be the next star in our team in his first season - we are not that type of club or supporter group any more. Dow will become an important player for us in the future and he has a skill set we value and which makes a uniquely powerful club. Many of our premiership players were not even taken in the draft yet our recruiters still saw something in them that the other clubs did not. This is what makes us Richmond. This is what makes us the best. Dow is just another example of this.

furthermore, some junior analysis websites had Dow ranked at 30

drafting him @ 21 might have been a bit disappointing last night but its hardy the end of the world in the grand scheme. like has been said numerous times the powers that be have been going alright in recent times; if they rate him so be it .

Once again completely outfoxed by SOS and Carlton. According to their fans and one of my mates, they've swooped us again and played the situation perfectly. They haven't made a bad decision in 10 years. Just hard draws and unlucky to finish in the bottom 4 every year despite getting every decision right. Staggering bad luck...:drunk:

Absolutely staggering...plenty of practise though at being sheet...

download.gif

Except that he has real toe, so in theory can break into space. But agree with getting a good variety of mid's.

Disagree heavily with those statements.

Yes we are in a real good position, and have won the premiership again (believe me I am still on a high) but that doesn't mean we can just pick whoever..
I'm not doubting they haven't done their research, however I along with many others are very shocked with the decision and have reason to be.... considering Robertson has been rated by many including almost every phantom as a top 10/12 pick. He also won the Larke Medal and his results are far more consistent.

I would have preferred a potential A Grade star with a first rounder. I know it doesn't happen every year, but it's certainly what you would hope for.

Hoping I am proved wrong. Will be interesting to see what we do with our 3 picks in the early 40's.
Don't forget, every other club passed on him, we were just the last. His kicking action is suss and being Darren Glass' nephew and a mad Eagles supporter, the go home factor must have scared clubs off during interviews.

Agree Dow looks like they really assessed him for 4 years from now. And they looked for key traits (agility, speed of hand, vision, imagination/speed of mind) and that we can develop the things he's not good at (physical development, consistency, presence of mind). Looks like we've decided on a guy that we see as being potentially another Sheds quality player. If we get that we've won so BIGLY it's not funny.

Actually it'd be hilarious if he was as good as Sheds.

people should calm down with the titch comparison

edwards is super special and its a big ask to expect some kid to be that standard

especially in regards to handball ability, titchj off the charts
Still, it took Shedda years and years to become the player he is now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back