Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn pick 13: Will Day 2023 PCM!

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll admit, I'm confused by this choice. Don't think he's the type of player we need right now. Time will tell how he goes and what particular plans we have for him.

100% agreed. If he's playing HBF, he's clearly a long way off wing or onballer, and we already have Sicily, Impey, Scrimmers, CJ, Howe, etc that can play there. Thought we'd go a KPP, genuine mid or small forward..

Time will tell...

You think Xavier Ellis was worth a number three pick in a draft, the bloke was a passenger that couldn't turn his child body into a mans, knocked off the ball too easy. Absolutely was of pick and I am sure this will be.

At the time he was drafted every football brain in Australia had X Ellis in the top 3.

What none of us have on draft day is a crystal ball.

Xavier Ellis played well in a grand final the fact that his body let him down after that is irrelevant. I wonder what you would say about Egan who ended up with a career ending injury and didn't play many games for the cats.

must admit when I saw Kemp standing eye to eye with Cripps I shook my head & wondered wtf have we done but Will looks like he is a keeper & the recruiting team don't usually get it too wrong - now for Finn

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If people can’t see how we are list building they either are blind or don’t no football.
Scrimshaw, elite foot skills, tall, good overhead.
Sicily, same.
Day, same.
Greaves, to a lesser extent same.

We are picking elite ball users that can play from half back, through the middle on wings and half forward if need be.

That’s one area since our flag winning years that’s waned, our ball use.
We are looking to rectify that.

Day getting the footy on the MCC wing and hitting Lewis or Patton lace out, it’s gonna happen.
Yes! And elite kicking will easily beat the c**p that Tigers and Bulldogs dish out.

Looks a smart footballer and a good kick on both feet, that's hard to teach.

Muscle is just time in the gym, everyone can do that.

Has time to develop for our Whitfield
I get what you're saying about muscle and time in the gym but Josh Thurgood and Xman say g'day. Saying that i don't thing he needs to be a big bodied mid. Though looks like he could be a taller hbf/ mid by the time he stops growing.

What looks great about him is that he is a natural 2 sided player, makes very quick and smart decisions, reads the play very well, is good above head for his size, has a knack of putting his team mates in a better position and isn't afraid to attack the ball and go when it's his turn. They are all things that are hard to teach. Natural footballer with good athletic ability.

I get what you're saying about muscle and time in the gym but Josh Thurgood and Xman say g'day. Saying that i don't thing he needs to be a big bodied mid. Though looks like he could be a taller hbf/ mid by the time he stops growing.

What looks great about him is that he is a natural 2 sided player, makes very quick and smart decisions, reads the play very well, is good above head for his size, has a knack of putting his team mates in a better position and isn't afraid to attack the ball and go when it's his turn. They are all things that are hard to teach. Natural footballer with good athletic ability.

I do feel as though Thurgood & Ellis were exceptions. While most skinny players never become massive most are able to put on some muscle mass. I think Issac Smith is a good example.

Kicking on both sides and marking seem to be his strengths, nothing wrong with that.

I've seen that many draftees come to hawthorn in one position and play their best footy in another, that i'm not even sure if this bloke's gonna be a defender.

BTW is he a right footer or a left footer? From his highlights I cant tell, either way his kicking is magnificent.

Kicking on both sides and marking seem to be his strengths, nothing wrong with that.

I've seen that many draftees come to hawthorn in one position and play their best footy in another, that i'm not even sure if this bloke's gonna be a defender.

BTW is he a right footer or a left footer? From his highlights I cant tell, either way his kicking is magnificent.
Pretty sure he's right dominant (heard him say it in an interview) but he was made to be a dual sided kick early in his life.

Will Day 189, 76, 18yo, 2 years dev.
Isaac Smith 188, 83, 30yo, 2 years left?

Came here to say this. His style of play reminds me a lot of Smith's. Wouldn't be surprised if we selected him with the aim of him being a long term replacement for Smith seeing as he's turning 31 in December and seems to be on the back 9 in terms of his career.

Anyone who thinks that this kid is just pigeon-holed as a HBF for the rest of his life go and have a proper look at his highlights. His attributes will easily allow him to play on the wing and IMO in the midfield once he adds weight to his frame.

The reason he has been playing HBF as a junior is because of his slight frame and good marking skills. He doesn’t have enough body weight to keep his feet in contests at this stage and so would struggle in the midfield, Fyfe had the exact same issue as a junior. Once he puts on some size he will be better equipped to keep his feet and break tackles which will bring his whole game together.

As I said last night, I can see him eventually becoming a Pendlebury type midfielder/winger. Just imagine Worpel and Mitchell feeding it out to Day who then steps through traffic and delivers it lace out onto Mitch Lewis’ chest.

Do we have a player who’s better dual sided than day on our list? Can’t think of one. As Sam Mitchell showed the ability to be truly dual sided provides extra time, pace and options. Can gain weight in a preason or two, but good luck trying to teach a player to be clean as Day is on both feet.

On the hawthornfc highlights his side-step, acceleration then clean disposal (by hand and foot) looks elite. If he can do that at afl level he’ll fit right it with our midfield. May never have the tank of smith or Scully but could be far more damaging with the ball in hand.

I'm not convinced seems too slight. Meanwhile down Corio way. 186cm and 83kg and pace to burn. Ready made.

1574916451823.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back