2019 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Bell said we still have a deficit heading into next year - it kind of looks like we've chosen to carry over some deficit and keep that 60s pick (I didn't know you could do that but that's the only explanation I can think of). Someone on here calculated it as around 250 points sitting against our rd 1 next year (think it is a 2 pick downgrade equivalent - assuming we will just wear it against our current first pick). Bell also said we'd look at our remaining future currency (eg Melb's 2nd) to see if we can get up the draft order today.
No that's news to me.
Happy about us considering our future second for this year.

Interesting that the AFL highlights of Serong make him look like a FWD/Mid, whilst Freo draft highlights have him looking like a small inside mid.. almost like a better version of Lachie Neale.

Still a midget, but if as someone suggests that a midget cull might happen at the end of the year.

If he is the second coming of Lachie Neale I’m ok with it.

Some of our best ever players have been smallish, Son Son, Lachie Neale, so this obsession with height is all good, but you don't let awesome footy players go past because of one deficiency. fyfe couldn't kick well for a long time as well.

Caleb Daniel was unlucky to miss out on All Oz squad last season.
Height is good, but its not everything.
Good disposal under pressure is better, and Caleb Daniel has that in spades, probably better than 20 of our best 22

Caleb Daniel was unlucky to miss out on All Oz squad last season.
Height is good, but its not everything.
Good disposal under pressure is better, and Caleb Daniel has that in spades, probably better than 20 of our best 22

Let’s just say a midget as a lead up forward is a problem, too easy to shut down.

Opportunistic small crumbing forward, yes..

I don’t think they got Serong as a winger, or a crumbing forward.. lets put it that way.

Let’s just say a midget as a lead up forward is a problem, too easy to shut down.

Opportunistic small crumbing forward, yes..

I don’t think they got Serong as a winger, or a crumbing forward.. lets put it that way.
They got him as a Lachie Neale replacement (not a winger or a crumbing forward). Fail to see your point here

They got him as a Lachie Neale replacement (not a winger or a crumbing forward). Fail to see your point here

That’s what I was implying.. he’s not a crumbing fwd, not a lead up forward, not a wingman... quick hands in tight, and someone to stand his ground in the clinches.

His position will be to climb firstly over North, then Blakely, then Valente, then Rock Paper Scissors with Mundy, Brayshaw, Cerra, Conca for a role in the middle with Fyfe.

Taylor - you don't work for Melbourne do you?

Re Jackson :)

“We see him as the guy that could potentially become the first player that plays in the midfield at 200cm (199cm)."

You and MFC are either innovators or loons. I can relate - it's a fine line between the two.

Taylor - you don't work for Melbourne do you?

Re Jackson :)

“We see him as the guy that could potentially become the first player that plays in the midfield at 200cm (199cm)."

You and MFC are either innovators or loons. I can relate - it's a fine line between the two.
The office would be awkward with people looking for Jason calling my name and we both stick our head out the office door.

That’s what I was implying.. he’s not a crumbing fwd, not a lead up forward, not a wingman... quick hands in tight, and someone to stand his ground in the clinches.

His position will be to climb firstly over North, then Blakely, then Valente, then Rock Paper Scissors with Mundy, Brayshaw, Cerra, Conca for a role in the middle with Fyfe.

I think you'll find he's already in front of North (?), Blakely, Valente and perhaps Conca. He's a consensus top 10 draft pick who's AFL ready. The new coach won't have plans to play any of last night's haul at Peel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully that's the last time for a long while we have that many high picks bar a gift NGA or 2 , it's all exciting around draft time but don't forget you only get that sort of a haul by being crap at football and losing players you probably don't want to

I think you'll find he's already in front of North (?), Blakely, Valente and perhaps Conca. He's a consensus top 10 draft pick who's AFL ready. The new coach won't have plans to play any of last night's haul at Peel.

He has never played against Men, so he isn’t above any of them right now... forgot he is probably behind Crowden as well.

Playing U18’s is one thing, stepping up to bigger bodies, experienced hands is a totally different game!

Ok. Have missed all that, and definitely doesn’t sound right from what I was originally told in regards to trading in picks while having a current deficit.
That is because the information you were told was incorrect.

We have 67 which was pick 73 (worth 9pts) at the time of the bid. Apparently based on list spots available and then bringing two more picks in and one going out to Port we had too many picks and 73 slid off temporarily but was reactivated when the other picks 49-58 we held we’re pushed back to the end of the draft.

We can trade our second to get back into the 2019 ND and the pts deficit we currently carry (ie 265pts) won’t impact on any new 2019 picks we bring back in.

The bid was done in round one and will affect our round 1 in 2020. If it was such a large deficit (ie >1000) pts then it would also affect subsequent picks we carry thereafter.

The AFL have told Fre they won’t be able to trade their 2020 1st pick as we don’t have the full allotment of picks in the 2nd/3rd/4th rounds.

I wondered at the time (of the Langdon trade) what the point of the 2020 4th rounder out and pick 79 in was. It has turned out to be an unexpected master stroke. That pick 79 will end up being pick 62/63 (even lower again because some clubs in the late 50’s and early 60’s according to Fox are expected to pass). Without that pick our 4th and 5th draft picks would be in the mid 70’s.

Has anyone doubting a Serong pick watched more than the two minute video of him?
Im miles off being a doubter obviously, but ther reason why I like him more than most is because ive at least seen him play once in a full game. I saw one game on the afl app. Vic Country versus South Australia. Below is the summary of that game.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-06-28/u18-champs-vic-country-downs-reigning-champs-to-stay-unbeaten
Serong was fantastic. His kicking under pressure still needs work, but his long kicking in space is terrific at times. He is also great on his non preferred left foot. Had ten tackles in the game I saw and applies wonderful pressure. I know he has been compared to Grey, but at underage level he reminds me more of a cross between Devon Smith and Lachie Neal. He has Smith's terrific pressure, long kicking, decent speed and Neale's in and under work. Too early to tell if he will be able to do that at afl level, but the impressive thing Ive noticed is how hard he pushes himself to win contests at underage level. Also think he will end up a better athlete than plenty in the draft. He moves well now, but hell drop a bit of weight and become more explosive once he joins in afl training.

Meanwhile apparently Young was the most popular choice to be taken at pick 3 according to a survey done on the head afl recruiters with the names being withheld of who had what opinion. He can kick both sides as well .Actually so can Henry. Im seeing a pattern developing here.

Last edited:
He has never played against Men, so he isn’t above any of them right now... forgot he is probably behind Crowden as well.

Playing U18’s is one thing, stepping up to bigger bodies, experienced hands is a totally different game!
Leave that decision to the selectors and coaches mate. You can set whatever arbitrary standards you like, they don't mean a thing. I'm sure preseason will sort that all out

Yep, but every year that's exactly what happens. First year players step up and play against men. I could see him playing for Matera if Brandon has an inconsistent start to the year. Already applies better pressure and was the leading tackler at underage champs. Not sure on the negativity here, most experts had Serog in the top 4 picks for a lot of the year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back