Ants, ants, everywhere!!

We have had an influx of ants in our flat recently and it is driving me up the friggin WALL!! :mad: (Pun not intended)

Does anyone out there have some EFFECTIVE ways of eliminating these annoying pests, out of your home for good? Already they have destroyed one packet of Coco Pops, one block of chocolate and packet of chips. I have tried the usual sprays inside and out.

Please help!!

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
We have had an influx of ants in our flat recently and it is driving me up the friggin WALL!! :mad: (Pun not intended)

Does anyone out there have some EFFECTIVE ways of eliminating these annoying pests, out of your home for good? Already they have destroyed one packet of Coco Pops, one block of chocolate and packet of chips. I have tried the usual sprays inside and out.

Please help!!

We've had a lot travelling around outside the house of late, big congalines of them. Exceedingly dry year here this year, and fortunately we've not had an infestation inside (touch wood).
During the 90's and early 00's we had a hell of a infestation problem with them getting into everything in the house, you literally couldn't leave so much as a crumb on the bench or they'd be swarming it in quick time.
The Argentine ants were the worst culprits, first identified in the State here in around 1994 as coming from a shipment of stock to a fruit warehouse behind the houses just over the road from us.
It was around then that the troubles really started and firstly every house in the immediate area had infestation, then the problem became more widespread not long after.

Problem has eased a lot since then, we just had to basically seal all our foods, and be diligent in cleaning up mess.
I'll never forget the sight of and entire wall of our back shed covered with ants just after a storm back in 1999/2000 - looked like tea-leaves scattered everywhere :eek:

Problem has eased a lot since then, we just had to basically seal all our foods, and be diligent in cleaning up mess.
I'll never forget the sight of and entire wall of our back shed covered with ants just after a storm back in 1999/2000 - looked like tea-leaves scattered everywhere :eek:

The thing is, I've just moved into this place. At my old house we would have trouble with ants many years ago, but probably for the past six years, not one ant!! I feel like I'm back to square one. :mad:

Anyway, one time the buggers got inside a variety packet of chips. Im talking about INSIDE the sealed, individual packets! They were having the time of their lives in there!

God I hate ants.

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
The thing is, I've just moved into this place. At my old house we would have trouble with ants many years ago, but probably for the past six years, not one ant!! I feel like I'm back to square one. :mad:

Anyway, one time the buggers got inside a variety packet of chips. Im talking about INSIDE the sealed, individual packets! They were having the time of their lives in there!

God I hate ants.

Ewwwww :thumbsdown:
Time to call a fumigator in I feel. Pain in the arse, but worth a try nevertheless.

Dec 7, 2001
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
MIx a paste of cocoa and borax, leave it on the benches where you see them.Kills them.
or honey and borax.
find where they are coming into the house and put the mix there.
clean all benches etc.you obviously kn ow the drill.

we only gt a hint of ants when its going to rain.So thats a bonus for you.

shaz63

Club Legend
Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Magpies, 36er's
Those ant baits that you buy from the supermarket work.

My mum had them all through her cupboards so I bought a couple of packs and placed them all around the kitchen and in the window sills.

Couple of days later, no more ants.

Worked a treat.

fryingpan

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Sep 16, 2004
Al Jumahiriyah al Arabiya
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team van Berlo, Sturt
The ants are crawling up the walls... they are driving me up the wall... i dunno.

I.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................see..

If that doesnt work, I think we'll have to concede defeat and let the ants have the run of the house. :D

A friend of my co-workers had the same dilemma her way of dealing with it was to keep throwing water on them her reasoning was if she drowned them all...the message would get out to the other ants that they would all drown if they ventured in her house...Ohhh, I absolutely laughed so much I was in tears as the story was relayed to me.

A friend of my co-workers had the same dilemma her way of dealing with it was to keep throwing water on them her reasoning was if she drowned them all...the message would get out to the other ants that they would all drown if they ventured in her house...Ohhh, I absolutely laughed so much I was in tears as the story was relayed to me.

LMAO... I will add it to the list "Drown ants, so other ants see what happens and get scared and therefore do not enter house"

Got it :thumbsu:

Constipated Duck

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2006
Neuschwanstein
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat
Those ant baits that you buy from the supermarket work.

My mum had them all through her cupboards so I bought a couple of packs and placed them all around the kitchen and in the window sills.

Couple of days later, no more ants.

Worked a treat.

I've used Antrid, both the liquid in the small bottle, and those spiral-type things you stick on your wall where they're supposed to crawl in and die. Bollox. The liquid just attracts more and more of the buggers, and those wall things don't do anything at all.

My house is usually spotless, so I don't know what these bastards are looking for... usually in the bathroom and upstairs bedroom. WTF??? They don't touch my empty stubbies, or hang around my kitchen, just the places you'd never expect.

Farcanal

Debutant
Sep 5, 2001
Approx 28km From Arden St
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
I've used Antrid, both the liquid in the small bottle, and those spiral-type things you stick on your wall where they're supposed to crawl in and die. Bollox. The liquid just attracts more and more of the buggers, and those wall things don't do anything at all.

If you read the packet it will tell you they consume the ant rid and take it back to the nest - where its supposed to kill off the nest.

im having the same problem. ive got a small crack in the skirting where they seem to get in from. i vacuum every few days (cause i also have a heap of jumping spiders and other bugs around), and yes i know it wont stop them.

i was thinking of sealing the crack, but knowing those little preeks they'll get in some other way.

i guess i dont help the situation either. whenever i find a fly, spider etc inside the house ill smash it to an inch of its life, then take it outside and dump it on a line of ants. nature at its finest!

If you read the packet it will tell you they consume the ant rid and take it back to the nest - where its supposed to kill off the nest.

Yeah I know.. want a more quick fix so left the ant rid and went for this Mortein Powder, which is meant to "kill the ants before they come inside"... Ya supposed to use half a pack, but I ended up sprinkling the whole contents around the house. Forming this kind of "barrier". So far so good. :thumbsu:

im having the same problem. ive got a small crack in the skirting where they seem to get in from. i vacuum every few days (cause i also have a heap of jumping spiders and other bugs around), and yes i know it wont stop them.

i was thinking of sealing the crack, but knowing those little preeks they'll get in some other way.

i guess i dont help the situation either. whenever i find a fly, spider etc inside the house ill smash it to an inch of its life, then take it outside and dump it on a line of ants. nature at its finest!

:D :D

It seems like a terrible year for ants and pests in general. Went outside the other day and literally was attacked by this huge wasp. Luckily I could kill the bugger, through the screen door, with the mortein.

then fed it to the ants? :D

No I got the heck outta there!! Went back outside later on, but it was gone, so I assume it died.

Why would you want to feed the ants anyway?? You are just making them bigger and stronger and giving them more energy to invade ya house!!!

No I got the heck outta there!! Went back outside later on, but it was gone, so I assume it died.

Why would you want to feed the ants anyway?? You are just making them bigger and stronger and giving them more energy to invade ya house!!!

BRING IT ON ANTS!!

Back