Toast Welcome to Freo Hayden Young – Fremantle’s 1st 2019 National Draft Pick [Pick #7]

Remove this Banner Ad

Liked this line from one of the other club's recruiters...

He's not just a good kick – he doesn't force the ball into bad areas, ever.

Watching the footage it seems pretty bang on.
I'm honestly frothing at the thought of him in our backline next year, he seems worst case Birchall, best case Pendles with a better kick.

Its no wonder so many clubs had him at 3, what a steal.

He's a lock for round 1

I'm honestly frothing at the thought of him in our backline next year, he seems worst case Birchall, best case Pendles with a better kick.

Its no wonder so many clubs had him at 3, what a steal.

He's a lock for round 1
Yeah I can see us debuting him Rd 1 as well. Just need Wilson to get back to his best (latest surgery wasn't ideal) and our back line could be incredible next year. Hill getting back on the park would be nice as well - whether we play him half back or wing and release Aish or someone to half back it doesn't really matter.

Liked this line from one of the other club's recruiters...

He's not just a good kick – he doesn't force the ball into bad areas, ever.

Watching the footage it seems pretty bang on.
Being able to see it in the first place is elite, let alone the ability to execute the kick

fun fact: if you made a list of all of the players (male & female) to have played at least one game for Fremantle and sorted it alphabetically, Hayden Young would be at the very bottom.

anyhoo, welcome to Freo Hayden. may your career in purple be awesome!

Six recruiters say Fremantle nabbed the third best player in the 2019 draft, admitting they would’ve taken Hayden Young with pick three
Melbourne’s pick three was widely considered the first ‘live’ pick of the 2019 AFL Draft, with Gold Coast’s pick one and two all-but assigned before the night.

The Demons went for East Fremantle ruckman Luke Jackson with their selection, making him the first top 10 pick ruckman since 2011, but six recruiters believe the Dockers ended up with the third best kid in the draft.

Fremantle used pick seven to nab Dandenong Stingrays defender Hayden Young, but half of the recruiters asked by AFL.com.au said they would’ve taken him with pick three if they had the choice.

AFL DRAFT HUB: See profiles and highlights for WA’s 20 top contenders and read the latest draft news
"Hayden Young by the length of the Flemington straight,” one club told AFL.com.au.
“He might end up the second-best player from this draft, and maybe even the best. He's not just a good kick – he doesn't force the ball into bad areas, ever.
Hayden Young poses for a photo during and AFL Draft media opportunity at Marvel Stadium on November 25.

“He opens up the ground with his disposal. His game in the midfield late in the season saw him compared to Scott Pendlebury and although it was only one game, it was spot on."
Another club said: "I'd pick Hayden Young. That's what I would do for my team, and if I was in Melbourne's position as well. They could do with a beautiful kicker off half-back.”
AFL DRAFT: WHO IMPRESSED AND WHO DIDN’T
INTEL HELPS DOCKERS SET UP FUTURE WITH DRAFT HAUL

The praise for the young gun continued – and understandably so with his CV boasting the following: Dandenong Stingrays captain for 2018, first ranked general defender at the National Carnival, All Australian at the NAB AFL U18 Championships, as well as winning the National Combine agility test.
"(We’d pick) Hayden Young,” another club told AFL.com.au.
“He's an elite ball user and there's a premium on that these days.
“If there's any knock it's maybe his real genuine leg speed, but he gets away with it through elite agility. He takes metres with his ball use and kicking rather than with pace. He's a jet."

Six recruiters say Fremantle nabbed the third best player in the 2019 draft, admitting they would’ve taken Hayden Young with pick three
Melbourne’s pick three was widely considered the first ‘live’ pick of the 2019 AFL Draft, with Gold Coast’s pick one and two all-but assigned before the night.

The Demons went for East Fremantle ruckman Luke Jackson with their selection, making him the first top 10 pick ruckman since 2011, but six recruiters believe the Dockers ended up with the third best kid in the draft.

Fremantle used pick seven to nab Dandenong Stingrays defender Hayden Young, but half of the recruiters asked by AFL.com.au said they would’ve taken him with pick three if they had the choice.

AFL DRAFT HUB: See profiles and highlights for WA’s 20 top contenders and read the latest draft news
"Hayden Young by the length of the Flemington straight,” one club told AFL.com.au.
“He might end up the second-best player from this draft, and maybe even the best. He's not just a good kick – he doesn't force the ball into bad areas, ever.
Hayden Young poses for a photo during and AFL Draft media opportunity at Marvel Stadium on November 25.

“He opens up the ground with his disposal. His game in the midfield late in the season saw him compared to Scott Pendlebury and although it was only one game, it was spot on."
Another club said: "I'd pick Hayden Young. That's what I would do for my team, and if I was in Melbourne's position as well. They could do with a beautiful kicker off half-back.”
AFL DRAFT: WHO IMPRESSED AND WHO DIDN’T
INTEL HELPS DOCKERS SET UP FUTURE WITH DRAFT HAUL

The praise for the young gun continued – and understandably so with his CV boasting the following: Dandenong Stingrays captain for 2018, first ranked general defender at the National Carnival, All Australian at the NAB AFL U18 Championships, as well as winning the National Combine agility test.
"(We’d pick) Hayden Young,” another club told AFL.com.au.
“He's an elite ball user and there's a premium on that these days.
“If there's any knock it's maybe his real genuine leg speed, but he gets away with it through elite agility. He takes metres with his ball use and kicking rather than with pace. He's a jet."

Don't know if it was posted, but this is the actual piece it refers too. I'm genuinely excited.

The highlights package on our website!! Besides that left boot, the game awareness, from knowing when he's running out of space to knowing when to make the late attempt to tackle or smother. The half-knock has apparently been outright pace, but the smothers suggest that's not a problem.

Last edited:
Gee i hope to see a lot of this from him. What a kick.

and the fact that this kick followed a chase down tackle when the game was on the line with less than 3 min to go in a grand final putting his team in front at the time makes like 100000 x impressive!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's funny how the universe works. The club makes a massive change to emphasize skills and instincts, and all of a sudden the perfect recruit, who inexplicably slides in the draft, lands straight in our lap.

Last edited:
I just keep watching his 5 minute highlight video on the website...left foot, right foot, smothers, high marks...jeepers

He doesn't seem slow to me which was the partial knock. Looks willing to break away after a mark etc... I am amazed he dropped so far. He looks the whole package and is by far the recruit I have been most excited by over the past few years.

Boy oh boy...

Do we put him straight into the midfield or start him at half back and push Wilson into the midfield?

I think he easily takes Duman's spot at half back/pocket to begin with, then let's see how he develops. But I would be happy for him to play his career at half back with that kicking and for depth

Last edited:
The trajectory of his kicks is sublime. There's so little 'hang time'. Very similar to Mundy. It makes him very difficult to intercept. Even, as we've seen from his highlights, on long kicks.
He could be the Duffield replacement we've found so hard to replace. We were never the same team once Duff left.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back