Player Watch Lachlan Gollant - Contract Extension to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant

THE outside midfielder received a late call-up to the Cannons’ program after impressing for his school throughout the year. He is only a lightly-built player at 72kg to go with his 191cm height, but Gollant has great footy IQ as well as fierce defensive pressure. He is not afraid to lay tackles on much bigger bodies as he showed throughout the finals series, with a couple of great running chases. Averaging just 11.7 disposals as a midfielder, he will want to improve that area of his game, as well as adding more scoreboard impact playing as a winger. He runs to the right places and has the nice 191cm size that will attract clubs with some interest particularly peaking late in the season. He does not have the speed that others might have, recording 3.15 seconds on the 20m sprint, but seems to glide rather than burst around the ground. A long-term prospect for a club who might be looking for that taller midfielder with smarts.

STRENGTHS: Game sense, marking/vertical leap, defensive work, size
IMPROVEMENTS: Scoreboard impact, accumulation, speed

Last edited:

Good on this guy for getting drafted but first impressions are pretty underwhelming.

Guess you can't expect much from a pick 48.

Will this be a Charlie Cameron Hamish special or more a Matty Signorello?
Obviously impossible to tell at this stage but Hamish hits on these types of selections enough to keep backing him in to do it.

Obviously impossible to tell at this stage but Hamish hits on these types of selections enough to keep backing him in to do it.

That's true.

Feel like he really nailed Sholl last year. Will be keen to see some highlights or hear what our recruiters think

That's true.

Feel like he really nailed Sholl last year. Will be keen to see some highlights or hear what our recruiters think
Yeah Sholl's turned out better than I expected so far, so he has recent has runs on the board

Definitely keen to hear what Hamish has to say about him. Completely off everyone's radar...

Surely this type of pick is what the rookie draft is for
I trust Hamish but boy this a gobsmacker, can only think they didn't think he'd last to the rookie draft and that was our last live pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sold on this pick.
Oh well, will just have to wait and see I guess. I’m not sure why anyone gets disappointed at selections after the top 30, we literally have no idea about any of the players, but in reality it’s rare to hit every single selection in a draft.

They showed a stat earlier on Fox in that only 48% of players over the last 15 years to average over 100 ranking points in the U18 champs have gone on to play more than 100 games ie, stats in U18s are just one part of a very complex decision in selecting a player.

Oh well, will just have to wait and see I guess. I’m not sure why anyone gets disappointed at selections after the top 30, we literally have no idea about any of the players, but in reality it’s rare to hit every single selection in a draft.
He’s 191 and 73kgs, he ain’t playing AFL for at least 3 years

Oh well, there’s no need for him to either. You don’t select players at pick 48 to play straight away. If they do it’s great, but not the sole reason you select someone.
I laugh how pick 48 is now deemed a late pick. Plenty of picks in the 40 play early, we had Sloane and Gov.

And we aren’t even talking early, this guy is years away from playing. This has had to be a rookie selection or we move on.

I laugh how pick 48 is now deemed a late pick. Plenty of picks in the 40 play early, we had Sloane and Gov.

And we aren’t even talking early, this guy is years away from playing. This has had to be a rookie selection or we move on.
Why are you talking like such an authority on the matter? Pick 48 is a late pick. Sloane and Gov are the exceptions, not the rule.

A few of you weren’t fans of Gov when we selected him either as he looked a bit fat and unfit and wouldn’t play for ages.

How do you actually know this guy will take years to develop? He could fast track in the AFL system and play within 2 years. Who the * knows?! It’s absolutely a lottery at this point and history suggests not many of these guys make it. Heck, there will be a few first round selections tonight who probably don’t play 50 games, but then some later selections who play over 200.

You all question Hamish when he goes with these left field picks, he’s better placed to judge talent than us.

Pick 48 was a late pick, it was our last pick and if your going to be speculative the last pick is a good one to use.

Why are you talking like such an authority on the matter? Pick 48 is a late pick. Sloane and Gov are the exceptions, not the rule.

A few of you weren’t fans of Gov when we selected him either as he looked a bit fat and unfit and wouldn’t play for ages.

How do you actually know this guy will take years to develop? He could fast track in the AFL system and play within 2 years. Who the fu** knows?! It’s absolutely a lottery at this point and history suggests not many of these guys make it. Heck, there will be a few first round selections tonight who probably don’t play 50 games, but then some later selections who play over 200.

You all question Hamish when he goes with these left field picks, he’s better placed to judge talent than us.
Pick 48 is a mid third round pick, a mid range pick overall, on no level is that a late pick. If that’s a late pick, what’s 63 we used on Scholl? A really really late pick? Or how about the pick 80 odd on Atkins?

Jack Graham played in a flag after going 53. There are plenty of examples.

He’s 191 and 73kgs, unless he is going on the roids he ain’t getting to AFL playing weight for years, if at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back