Player Watch #36: Kozzy Pickett – Signed until 2027! 🎉

Remove this Banner Ad

they've been pulling one since
2000 granny pissed me off majorly. Not because I was expecting to win or the final margin, but because we allowed Essendon to belt the s**t out of us.

When you're starting a 6 goal underdog I feel it should be you who's doing the thug acts to try and put the top dog off their game. Guys like Ox should have been swinging haymakers before the first bounce. Nothing to lose as their career was drawing to an end.

2000 granny pissed me off majorly. Not because I was expecting to win or the final margin, but because we allowed Essendon to belt the s**t out of us.

When you're starting a 6 goal underdog I feel it should be you who's doing the thug acts to try and put the top dog off their game. Guys like Ox should have been swinging haymakers before the first bounce. Nothing to lose as their career was drawing to an end.
I don't care what the bombers did as back in those days you did what you needed to do to win but * did we take that like limp dogs. Poor Brad Green getting belted by Dean Wallis.

Not sure if we had anyone on the list at the time in the 2s who had some fight about them but Daniher probably should have read the room and knew what was coming. We should have turned that GF into something resembling closer to 85' rather than just letting em smash us. Ah well. s**t happens

I don't care what the bombers did as back in those days you did what you needed to do to win but fu** did we take that like limp dogs. Poor Brad Green getting belted by Dean Wallis.

Not sure if we had anyone on the list at the time in the 2s who had some fight about them but Daniher probably should have read the room and knew what was coming. We should have turned that GF into something resembling closer to 85' rather than just letting em smash us. Ah well. s**t happens

Yea, was a different era than today.

Michael Long bulldozing Troy Simmonds just before half time another.

I also remember Wiz was wearing some sort of protective vest under his jumper coz he had cracked ribs, and I remember Mark Johnson giving his ribs a work out whenever he got the chance. Not one player went up and tried to stop him.

Loved the 2000 season but that granny made me long for Todd Viney and Rod Grinter.

I was sitting near the players race in the Olympic stand, I had a decent hissy fit and crack at them all as they came off at half time, called them a bunch of soft campaigners etc etc , got up and left to beat the traffic. Sold my pass out to a Bombers supporter for $150 on the way to my car. .Was a nice profitable day in the end as I got my gf ticket for free coz my brother made the gf with the Falcons that year A good time was had by all. ☺

Yep, and that rat bastard Michael Long should've never got back up after what he did to Simmo.

Yep, and that rat bastard Michael Long should've never got back up after what he did to Simmo.

Michael Long is a treasure and a monument to our game. How dare you.

That was a real “it’s already dead!” moment. Wallis and Hardwick etc had already bashed the s**t out of us. The most deflating thing I remember about that game was how our brilliant match up for James Hird was... Alistair Nicholson. Says it all really.

I'm the only one who watched the All Australian under 18 side and there were 3 blokes who stood out. 2 of them went 1 and 2

The other I'm happy to have saved here for posterity, Pickett.
Will be a ******* star lads. He's got everything and more that you want in an exciting small forward.
He's Cyril Rioli.
More explosive than Cyril. More like Wizz and Byron.

Great pick at 12.

Was a huge fan of his uncle both Norf and Port days, enjoyed him finishing his career here but hated that he was the sacrificial lamb for trying to take effective bumping out of the game. He had the best hip and shoulder I’ve ever seen, ridiculous tackler too.

So purely on that there’s some bias from me but it looks like Kysaiah has a bit of that aggression too, keen to see what he can produce at AFL level.
I reckon Byron actually had pretty good timing with his bumps. I remember one time watching him at port and he cleaned up one of our players, it seemed a bit dirty and late. After a booing that went around the mcg which I took part in, they showed a replay on the big screen. After seeing it on replay my dad and I agreed that it was actually quite clean and well timed bump. He wasn't perfect but I think unfairly had the dirty player tag on him.

Yea, was a different era than today.

Michael Long bulldozing Troy Simmonds just before half time another.

I also remember Wiz was wearing some sort of protective vest under his jumper coz he had cracked ribs, and I remember Mark Johnson giving his ribs a work out whenever he got the chance. Not one player went up and tried to stop him.

Loved the 2000 season but that granny made me long for Todd Viney and Rod Grinter.

I was sitting near the players race in the Olympic stand, I had a decent hissy fit and crack at them all as they came off at half time, called them a bunch of soft campaigners etc etc , got up and left to beat the traffic. Sold my pass out to a Bombers supporter for $150 on the way to my car. .Was a nice profitable day in the end as I got my gf ticket for free coz my brother made the gf with the Falcons that year A good time was had by all. ☺

I remember seeing a neale daniher interview and on reflection on the grand final he felt the team was too young. So you're right we really needed a few more mature blokes to give us some physicality. I'm too young to remember 88 but on paper seems like the same thing we just were too young and this was Hawthorn's 6th consecutive grand final appearance.

I reckon Byron actually had pretty good timing with his bumps. I remember one time watching him at port and he cleaned up one of our players, it seemed a bit dirty and late. After a booing that went around the mcg which I took part in, they showed a replay on the big screen. After seeing it on replay my dad and I agreed that it was actually quite clean and well timed bump. He wasn't perfect but I think unfairly had the dirty player tag on him.

I remember seeing a neale daniher interview and on reflection on the grand final he felt the team was too young. So you're right we really needed a few more mature blokes to give us some physicality. I'm too young to remember 88 but on paper seems like the same thing we just were too young and this was Hawthorn's 6th consecutive grand final appearance.
2000 specifically we were a 14-8 team playing a 21-1 juggernaut full of experienced aggressive players.

We played a couple of awesome finals but ultimately we weren't a premiership list

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2000 specifically we were a 14-8 team playing a 21-1 juggernaut full of experienced aggressive players.

We played a couple of awesome finals but ultimately we weren't a premiership list
We were actually having a losing season by round 13. Then after that our form was the same as Essendon 13-1 coming into the gf the loss being a one point loss to north where they kicked 10 in a quarter and powell missed from the goal square. Anyway 98 was more of a missed opportunity.

We were actually having a losing season by round 13. Then after that our form was the same as Essendon 13-1 coming into the gf the loss being a one point loss to north where they kicked 10 in a quarter and powell missed from the goal square. Anyway 98 was more of a missed opportunity.
13 and 1? We went 10-1 till the Grand final which is still impressive but not against Essendon.

13 and 1? We went 10-1 till the Grand final which is still impressive but not against Essendon.
You're right 10-1 I don't know where I got 13 from thought I read it somewhere. Anyway was listening to sen and they had robbo on this is your sporting life and he was talking about the clubs lack of facilities, the fact preason training was all over the place. Would have to go from balwyn or wherever to train then to st Kilda for weights. The junction oval wasn't available until april. He then mentioned how he felt there wasn't a lot of support for the players but felt daniher was a great support.

This and his familys reaction when he got drafted just make me so happy after an incredibly dismal season.

How good was Flash! And how good was this! Geez, he still looks fit enough to play. Even though i feel we took him a bit high in the draft, it's exciting having Kossie on the list. Hopefully he can shake our fairly dull forwardline up a little next season..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back