Votes: 38 11.4%
  • No, not them. This guy

Votes: 22 6.6%

• Total voters
May 9, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Not a good look that Jonas comes out saying no change to co-captains yet Hamish speaks to the media wanting to be captain. I smell internal problems with the playing group

Hinkley Voss Davies Kochie KT Vanstone have taken us completely backwards
Have you ever come the conclusion that the list of players we have had the last 5 years wasn't as good as we all thought? You are on every social media platform bagging the club non stop and hierachy, but not once have you realized that the list of players we had share as much blame as Hinkley, Koch and everyone else.

We get it you don't like Hinkley, or Koch etc. No worries but blame the senior players for their failures as well, it isn't all on the coaches and board. The players have had every tool available and achieved nothing.

Jul 17, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Have you ever come the conclusion that the list of players we have had the last 5 years wasn't as good as we all thought? You are on every social media platform bagging the club non stop and hierachy, but not once have you realized that the list of players we had share as much blame as Hinkley, Koch and everyone else.

We get it you don't like Hinkley, or Koch etc. No worries but blame the senior players for their failures as well, it isn't all on the coaches and board. The players have had every tool available and achieved nothing.
Which crop of senior players do we blame? which of the 50 that we have turned over since he got here do we blame?

May 9, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Which crop of senior players do we blame? which of the 50 that we have turned over since he got here do we blame?
Nearly all of them basically. Besides Boak, Westhoff and Robbie Gray who have performed consistently and above or to expectation out of the whole heap we've had. You can't really say that about many of the others, they've all had a good season or two but consistently they don't perform, hence we've always been a middle rung side since 2014.

But at some point the players have to cop some of the heat as well, they never seem to. Ken is far from a perfect coach everyone knows that, ditto with Koch who I'm not a fan of in anyway shape of form.

You look back on it and we sit where we should with our list and their performances.

I'm more optimistic for our future with the under 24 group we have and the new draftees, whoever coaches them will have a lot to work with. But that's likely 3-5 years away for the kids to become consistent AFL footballers.

The coach/board debate is just old now, we all know the parameters for next season for it to change.

Ilias M

Club Legend
Mar 22, 2015
Port Adelaide, Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls

So the same Hinkley that has missed finals in 4 of the past 5 years despite having a fully funded footy department and the players he’s wanted. If you've under performed for 5 years in a row while being on around $800k a year, you deserve to be criticised on every day of the year.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Every tool available?

How about a competent coach?

If we change coaches and then we still struggle I will be willing to put more heat on the players.

Just like I do with Ken as he has changed players and is still getting the same result.

May 9, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So the same Hinkley that has missed finals in 4 of the past 5 years despite having a fully funded footy department and the players he’s wanted. If you've under performed for 5 years in a row while being on around $800k a year, you deserve to be criticised on every day of the year.
So do the players that's my point. They aren't paid 50 grand a year either....

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
So how long has Vanstone been on the board? Gavin five minutes I’d say those I’ve mentioned have far more accountability to be questioned
Wanganeen has been on the board since February 2019 so he would have been able to have just as much say in not sacking Hinkley at the end of the 2019 season as Vanstone.

What about all of the other board members who have been around for years? Why is it that you think Vanstone is the only one who should be held accountable for accepting mediocrity?

Wanganeen has been on the board since February 2019 so he would have been able to have just as much say in not sacking Hinkley at the end of the 2019 season as Vanstone.

What about all of the other board members who have been around for years? Why is it that you think Vanstone is the only one who should be held accountable for accepting mediocrity?

My guess is that he doesn't know who they are.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Good post. I have Ilias on ignore for that exact same reason.

May 9, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Every tool available?

How about a competent coach?

If we change coaches and then we still struggle I will be willing to put more heat on the players.

Just like I do with Ken as he has changed players and is still getting the same result.
I don't disagree with the sentiment about Hinkley at all. He has under performed as a coach with what he's had to work with, and the recruits we have given him and everything else. That's not my issue

My point is the senior players get away with what they've dished up the last 5 years. Facts are they aren't that good, they're average at best besides Boak, Robbie and Westhoff on exposed form. We overestimated how good we were or should've been. 5 years of results says that, we turned into Fremantle post 2006 after 2014. It's been a grand failure from coach through to the players.

I have no doubt after the next season Hinkley won't be at the club as I can't see us making the 8, we are clearly rebuilding now, our trading and recruiting the past two years says that. I'm expecting anywhere between 8-12 wins max in 2020, the main focus should be fast tracking the kids mixed in with Boak, Robbie and co. to guide them.

What are everyone's expectations for next year? I'm just facing facts Ken won't be sacked over the summer, nor early next season.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
My point is the senior players get away with what they've dished up the last 5 years. ....
Who has let them get away with consistently underperforming for the last five years?

Whose job is it to make the players accountable?

May 9, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Who has let them get away with consistently underperforming for the last five years?

Whose job is it to make the players accountable?
When do players push themselves? The top level of players are coached well to a degree but they have personal drive and elite standards in themselves to get to the top and stay there. Besides Boak, Robbie and Westhoff who amongst our senior group has that drive and determination you can see? The list after those three drops off significantly.

It seems it's always someone or something else's fault with this group. Oh we had ASADA suspensions this year, we've had injuries that year, we're coached by Hinkley, the fans are to hard on us and whatever else has been used and said over 5 years. That's as big of a part of the reason we are middle of the pack, on top of Hinkley. But it's never mentioned.

I never saw Hawthorn in their run whinge about anything, they had elite standards amongst the playing group and in their leaders on field that drove them, on top of Clarkson, ditto Geelong, Sydney were the same.

We've failed in that regard.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
When do players push themselves? The top level of players are coached well to a degree but they have personal drive and elite standards in themselves to get to the top and stay there. Besides Boak, Robbie and Westhoff who amongst our senior group has that drive and determination you can see? The list after those three drops off significantly.

It seems it's always someone or something else's fault with this group. Oh we had ASADA suspensions this year, we've had injuries that year, we're coached by Hinkley, the fans are to hard on us and whatever else has been used and said over 5 years. That's as big of a part of the reason we are middle of the pack, on top of Hinkley. But it's never mentioned.

I never saw Hawthorn in their run whinge about anything, they had elite standards amongst the playing group and in their leaders on field that drove them, on top of Clarkson, ditto Geelong, Sydney were the same.

"we're coached by Hinkley," - The constant throughout. Alyx's list of players in and out shows it's not a lingering core of slackers. Sure the players aren't faultless or the best in the AFL, but have been top 4 (end of Home and Away season) worthy more than once and should have been in the 8, even if the bottom part, every season.

Last edited:
May 9, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
"we're coached by Hinkley," - The constant throughout. Alyx's list of players in and out shows it's not a lingering core of slackers. Sure the players are faultless or the best in the AFL, but have been top 4 (end of Home and Away season) worthy more than once and should have been in the 8, even if the bottom part, every season.
I'm not disputing any of that, I agree with the whole Hinkley sentiment.

I'm saying there is blame on under performing players as well as a under performing coach as well. That's what I'm saying.

I'm just as fed up with Hinkley and just as fed up with the players excuses over basically everything in the media you hear the past few years.

No one would've heard Ebert, Cahill, Ginevar, Hodges, Wanganeen etx and the 2004 heroes like Tredrea, Carr, Chad Cornes etc trot out the excuses that his group the past few years. That's the difference between that group of players named (forget their talent levels) with the drive they all had to achieve the ultimate as compared to the group we had post 2014 when the footy world was there for the taking and it all got to hard. Hinkley included.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams

Players push themselves when they know that anything less is not acceptable. The players certainly aren't blameless but a culture were coasting along and being gifted games and new contracts is the norm is not the players fault.

It's quite a coincidence that despite turning over almost the entire list under Hinkley there are still so many of the players you criticise on our list.

Players like Wingard and Polec on the other hand had to be moved on because of their poor attitude.

May 9, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hinkley hasn't accomplished anything and his choices are baffling. 2015-2019: Five years without a finals win yep we should ignore Ken? We should just accept excuses of player blaming
No one said we should ignore Ken. Not everyone that doesn't share your opinion is a Hinkley apologist or something of that ilk.

There's other factors there on top of Hinkley as well, that's the point.

Ilias M

Club Legend
Mar 22, 2015
Port Adelaide, Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
No one said we should ignore Ken. Not everyone that doesn't share your opinion is a Hinkley apologist or something of that ilk.

There's other factors there on top of Hinkley as well, that's the point.

Yes Kochie KT are just are just to blame for extending a contracted coach and supporter who clap way accepting excuses. Now the rebuilding is in full swing. 2020 I’m hopeful will be the end of Hinkley Voss

StrappingTape

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It's hard to move past the diabologically poor game plans that the players have had to play in and the complete lack of game day adjustments and when they are made the completely wrong ones. The changing of Dougal from a forward to defender to forward to defender etc. The baffling selections at key times including the elimination final in 2017.

Back