Draft Review 2019 - Revisit the 2019 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney and Geelong supporters should be wrapped.

I am feeling quite pleased. I was not sure about Stephens yesterday but after learning more about him I am feeling a lot better about the selection. Always liked Gould so I am very happy to get him and Taylor looks like he could be anything. Never heard of Warner before today but he looks like a good choice and Beatson seemed very keen on him. I have learned that when it comes to later draft selections I should trust Beatson unquestioningly. He is useless with first round selections, but great with 3rd round or the rookie draft.

Also feels weird that opposition fans are saying the Swans had a good draft as the Swans are almost never mentioned in those sort of discussions.

Next year's draft is not as strong/deep as this year's. Unless North have a few Academy and F/S picks next year, their strategy seems bizarre to me

You just have to look at this year with GWS trading three first round picks to get ahead of the Green bid. (12+18 for 6, 6 + 2020 first for 4)

There is going to be a few teams trying to get ahead of picks next year so having a lot of assets might not be a bad idea.

I am not sure what Hawthorn, Essendon, North Melbourne and Richmond are doing today though. They could be proven to be great, but right now those 4 clubs seemed to have made some odd selections.
Didn’t rate this draft, we’ve got a heap of high picks next year and we have Luff/Rawlings/Shaw working behind the draft scenes, zero problem with North’s strategy.

No point comparing kids at this point.

Carlton could’ve turned pick 9 into Kemp and Robertson which would’ve been nearly the craziest (at the time of the draft) haul ever from that sort of a pick.

Instead they drafted 1 gun who slid probably 10 picks too far in Kemp but massively reached on the next pick for what looks to be a meh player.
Massive reach given Richmond would have taken him instead of Dow if we didn't jump them with a pick we never intended to use.

Be interesting in 5 years to look back how the tigers went

Taking Dow over Robertson
and
Martin/Cumberland over bianco could look extremely dumb or work good for both teams

We’ve drafted for the future though so can see the strategy. Dow is one of the youngest in the draft much like turner last year who we drafted for long term

Loved the biggy pick. Can afford to let these guys play 2’s and learn the system the next couple of years where as a lot of other teams are drafting for immediate impact. Can see why people think we have done poorly though

Carlton could’ve turned pick 9 into Kemp and Robertson which would’ve been nearly the craziest (at the time of the draft) haul ever from that sort of a pick.

Instead they drafted 1 gun who slid probably 10 picks too far in Kemp but massively reached on the next pick for what looks to be a meh player.

I reckon getting Martin in the PSD tomorrow offsets all of that. Philp is not a horrible selection anyway. We’ve done okay.

Not sure WTF Carlton were doing. They traded 22 and 25, for pick 20, to draft a bloke that didn't get selected in the U18's and no one else was in a hurry to take.

Crazy Sossy!
55 not 25 and our last live pick was 47 fwiw.

So basically traded a pick we wouldn't use to get Philp instead of Dow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really rate Sydney's haul.

Darymple has definitely helped. Nice range. A genuine inside would have been nice but Gould was just too good to pass at pick 26, and Schroenberg went just prior.

Darymple has definitely helped. Nice range. A genuine inside would have been nice but Gould was just too good to pass at pick 26, and Schroenberg went just prior.

I would have rated anyone who got Gould for a second rounder. He's going to be one of the biggest steals of the draft. I really like Stephens, and Taylor could be incredible.

I would have rated anyone who got Gould for a second rounder. He's going to be one of the biggest steals of the draft. I really like Stephens, and Taylor could be incredible.

Taylor is worth it at that range, could be absolutely anything. You guys did well too, your first rounder helps you immediately.

Happy with ours. Next year we have 3 x First rounders.

Still not sure how we traded 27 for 11 and 63, but I'll take it.
It’s just our loose change. Enjoy. We’ve already got some highly rated academy players for next year. We need outside runners like Sharp now.

I think the Giants have done remarkably well firstly in trade week to keep the players we wanted and bring in enough collateral and then capitalise at the draft with some nice players.

The two young lads tonight might be low profile but both are capable of playing firsts and have given us senior body depth.

Ash and Green are Group 1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back