2020 best 22 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

cannot see any of the new draftees playing Rnd 1 except perhaps Serong. The other two need to fill out a bit.

Ryan - Hamling - Logue
Wilson - Pearce - Hughes
Aish - Fyfe - Hill
Walters - Hogan - Sturt
Matera - Lobb - Switta

Darcy - Conca - Brayshaw

Cerra - Acres - Cox - Mundy

I really want to see early games for Sturt

cannot see any of the new draftees playing Rnd 1 except perhaps Serong. The other two need to fill out a bit.

Ryan - Hamling - Logue
Wilson - Pearce - Hughes
Aish - Fyfe - Hill
Walters - Hogan - Sturt
Matera - Lobb - Switta

Darcy - Conca - Brayshaw

Cerra - Acres - Cox - Mundy

I really want to see early games for Sturt
Reckon Young is every chance. Half back is the easiest position and he is probably already in our top 3 kicks.

We'll have injuries too. Serong and Young for round 1. I want Sturt too but not sure it happens.

Aish, acres, Conca, hill, Logue, Cerra, Brayshaw, Henry, young, Serong and if you count the preselected Matera, hogan and Wilson as top 10 picks, freo could potentially start round 1 with 13 top 10 picks as part of the 22.

unlikely I know...but we are slowly building a list with some top end talent

Ryan - Hamling - Logue
Wilson - Pearce - Young
Aish - Fyfe - Hill
McCarthy - Hogan - Walters
Henry - Lobb - Sturt

Darcy - Blakely - Brayshaw

Cerra - Acres - Tucker - Mundy

The 3 youngest and Cam are my main question marks. But stuff it, I'm putting them all in. Talent/skill wins.

The backline writes itself. My main concern is that it's full of gun rebounders but lacking in defensive accountability. Still you can't go past these 6.

Ryan - Hamling - Logue
Wilson - Pearce - Young

The midfield is a work in progress. It's still a weakness but if even two of Cerra, Brayshaw, Serong and Tucker can step up a level and become the players we want them to be then it can become a strength. Cerra has not had the opportunities in there yet so I'm giving Tucker the starting role because of the time we've put into him, but he needs to get more involved.

Hill Fyfe Aish
Darcy Brayshaw Tucker

Some decisions to be made on the makeup of the forwardline with a lot of talls waiting in the wings. I hope to see Henry first up, Walters and Matera if he continues his form are good for balance and then 3 talls. I hope Sturt can step up and put his name forward. There are opportunities for Cam Mac and Cox too but they're 4th and 5th in line for me.

Henry Hogan Walters
Lobb Taberner Matera

There's some good talent on the bench but ultimately guys who need to prove themselves (except Mundy). Blakely was hugely disappointing last year but hopefully he can still become a good mid for us.

Cerra Mundy Blakely Serong

Emg: Acres McCarthy Sturt (Conca, Cox, Switta, Hughes on the fringes)

I really like our list, you'd have to say it's definitely still developing but getting very close to what we want now. I think we bite the bullet and play all 3 of our draftees regularly this year. Anything is possible in 2020 but I think we realistically look to challenge for a flag in 2-3 years, while Fyfe/Walters/Hill can still contribute strongly, Brayshaw/Cerra move into their prime as 5th years and our draftees get a couple years experience. Most other key players will be in their prime 25-28 yrs too.

FB: Ryan Hamling Logue
HB: Wilson Pearce Young
C: Hill Mundy Aish
HF: Walters Lobb Hogan
FF: Matera Tabs Serong

R: Darcy Fyfe Acres

I: Brayshaw Cerra Tucker Henry

I generally prefer young players to play 5 or more games at wafl level before being introduced unless they have shown compelling pre-season form. And I really want Peel to be an academy/training ground that prepares our players for that kind of opportunity. Sometimes it has felt like we don't get the maximum return from the Peel relationship, and I realise that as a wafl club they have their own needs and agenda. I can see our best 22 at the start of the year being significantly different from the end of the year.

The emerging player I most want to press up is Valente; Big body, football smart and good disposal. Would love Sturt to be pushing in but he sounds like he may still require some bulking up unless he can be protected a little in our game plan.

I generally prefer young players to play 5 or more games at wafl level before being introduced unless they have shown compelling pre-season form. And I really want Peel to be an academy/training ground that prepares our players for that kind of opportunity. Sometimes it has felt like we don't get the maximum return from the Peel relationship, and I realise that as a wafl club they have their own needs and agenda. I can see our best 22 at the start of the year being significantly different from the end of the year.

The emerging player I most want to press up is Valente; Big body, football smart and good disposal. Would love Sturt to be pushing in but he sounds like he may still require some bulking up unless he can be protected a little in our game plan.
I agree re Valente, that"s why it's quite troubling he still appears hampered by that groin issue

Switta over Serong? What's your thoughts there?
Big fan of Switta's field kicking, awareness and pressure. Think he is going to be a good player.

I was actually more weighing up Serong v Acres v Blakely. I didn't select Serong because I can't see us having three debutants come Rnd 1 and Serong has the most competition for a spot out of the new kids.

In the backline we haven't really nailed the 6th defender spot so can easily see Young getting a crack ahead of Hughes, Duman, Carter.

Forward line is still a big work in progress so spots are up for grabs. Henry with his skill and speed is a good chance. Whether they think his body can hold up against men is another question though.

Serong to me looks like more like a midfielder to me so he has quite a lot of competition. Fyfe, Mundy, Walters, Brayshaw, Cerra, Tucker, Blakely, Acres, Conca.

I had Blakley and Acres ahead of Serong because they are physically ready to go big bodies to protect the younger mids. I choose Acres over Blakely due to the new toy feel.

I'm sure Serong will play, just not straight up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blakely looks a lot different this pre-season. Reckon he has realised his football career may quickly disappear if he doesn't focus fully on it this pre-season. He's looked professional and focused when I've seen him at training. I'm expecting him to put his hand up for the inside mid role we thought he might have grabbed post Neale leaving. Going to have to earn it against some quality competition now though.

Not convinced any of these guys debut R1.

Henry will have the easiest time, given our only small forwards are currently Matera, Switta, Walters (if he plays there) and Schultz. But will probably have to climb over Switta to get there.

Young will be climbing over Duman and Hughes. Maybe Carter (doesn't he go back to Cat B) and Logue (depending on whether we can play with 3 key defenders.)

Serong's going to have to surpass Sturt, Valente, and a few others to be in the frame.

That said they'll all make it eventually if they meet their potential, and it's probably a positive that we don't need these guys to debut and play well on day 1 in order to have a competitive team.

Play the kids.

Chaps, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but playing the kids doesn't work. The best players in all teams are aged between 22 - 30. I actually can't remember the last time someone came in and was a genuine star in their first year (Clayton Oliver perhaps and he went backwards anyway).
Look at the biggest improvers last year - Ryan, Tucker, Langdon. All about 22 (Same age as Alex Pearce when he got good, same age as Fyfe when he got good, same age as Neale when he got good and it goes on and on and on).
People on thread that have Sturt, Young and Henry in our best 22 ahead of guys like Blakely are kidding themselves. Even Brayshaw and Cerra are a few years off. We are looking pretty darn good for about 4 years from now though. Based on our current age demographic, I hope our next contending years are 2022 2023 and 2024.

FB: Hughes - Hamling - Logue
HB: Wilson - Pearce - Ryan
C: Hill - Fyfe - Aish
HF: Walters - McCarthy - Sturt
FF: Lobb - Hogan - Serong
FOLL: Darcy - Brayshaw - Tucker
INT: Conca - Henry - Blakely - Mundy

Last edited:
Chaps, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but playing the kids doesn't work. The best players in all teams are aged between 22 - 30. I actually can't remember the last time someone came in and was a genuine star in their first year (Clayton Oliver perhaps and he went backwards anyway).
Look at the biggest improvers last year - Ryan, Tucker, Langdon. All about 22 (Same age as Alex Pearce when he got good, same age as Fyfe when he got good, same age as Neale when he got good and it goes on and on and on).
People on thread that have Sturt, Young and Henry in our best 22 ahead of guys like Blakely are kidding themselves. Even Brayshaw and Cerra are a few years off. We are looking pretty darn good for about 4 years from now though. Based on our current age demographic, I hope our next contending years are 2022 2023 and 2024.
Young should be played in front of Hughes and Duiman.

Blakely needs to go back into the middle. Young is a better defender than Blakely.

Henry and Serong should be selected in front of Shultz,Bewley.

Port played Rozee, Butters and Duuxsma and they performed.

Clark did pretty well at the Cats.

I rather play first rounder kids in front of Colyer and any other crab.

Young should be played in front of Hughes and Duiman.

Blakely needs to go back into the middle. Young is a better defender than Blakely.

Henry and Serong should be selected in front of Shultz,Bewley.

Port played Rozee, Butters and Duuxsma and they performed.

Clark did pretty well at the Cats.

I rather play first rounder kids in front of Colyer and any other crab.

In reality you’re probably right but imo at this stage these kids should not be considered best 22 until they’ve earned it.

These guys were taken top 10 for a reason and may well earn the opportunity by round one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back