Radio coverage

10Dulkar

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2013
Kardinia Park
AFL Club
Adelaide
We get the joint BBC/SABC/ABC/Radio Sport broadcasts here in the UK and I have been very impressed with Natalie Germanos on the opening game. Wadds is a legend from NZ as well.

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
Bentleigh, Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I've just noticed that Macquarie Radio are also doing the cricket. I assume just Australian games and maybe 'big' finals. So far I've heard Bruce Eva, Darren Berry, John Hastings, Brad Hodge and Darren Lehman.

Last edited:

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
Bentleigh, Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Ha ha.

From the Herald Sun:

It was early in the coverage of the opening game of the World Cup when the alarm bells started to ring in the studios of Melbourne’s two sports radio networks. Macquarie Sports and SEN had both purchased the broadcast rights for cricket’s one-day extravaganza in England through an Indian company Sports Flashes.

But with each ball that was being broadcast it quickly became apparent that the commentary they were receiving was from a couple of Indians sitting in their garage.

After some frantic phone calls it was revealed that the broadcast they were receiving was “illegal” because their Indian distributor had breached its rights agreement with the ICC. Apparently a dispute over money with a fellow Indian company had caused the problem which they failed to pass on to radio networks around the globe who were expecting their feed.

SEN is now using an international feed provided by the ICC while Macquarie Sports is covering Australian games from its Melbourne studio with a commentary team including Darren Lehmann, Brad Hodge, Darren Berry and John Hastings.

Former Australian spinner Brad Hogg was also caught up in the Sports Flashes debacle. He’d been hired as the company’s anchor for the World Cup coverage and knew nothing about the rights issue when he arrived in the UK. Luckily Hogg didn’t have to turn around and come home as he was able to find some work with another broadcaster.

THE HERALD SUN WHISPER

Which player used a stats loophole regarding tackles to push his case for selection? We hear the move backfired when his club studied footage and exposed the rort of being the token late second man in - which was being classed as a tackle.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...s/news-story/6ebad103957add117eed0dace13bae11

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
Hmm, I'm very surprised there's no analog radio coverage. Macquarie Radio did most of the World Cup, but not The Ashes? WTF?
There's only the BBC coverage on ABC Grandstand. The Aussies I've heard so far are Jim Maxwell and Glenn McGrath
Cheaper for ABC and probably better quality for us.

Win-win.

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Hmm, I'm very surprised there's no analog radio coverage. Macquarie Radio did most of the World Cup, but not The Ashes? WTF?
There's only the BBC coverage on ABC Grandstand. The Aussies I've heard so far are Jim Maxwell and Glenn McGrath

I presumed Macquarie would take live coverage. I can only guess the rights were too much.

Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur

Same. Went to bed at lunch and flicked on the radio once in bed thinking I would have three to choose from... nada. Too lazy to get up and dig out my digital radio so had to stream it through my phone. Commentary was quite good though except for some annoying clicking noise, anyone else hear that? :huh:

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
Bentleigh, Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Couldn't you still stream it through your phone via the CA app?
Can I? :D Thanks.
I'm not the most tech-savvy dude around.
One thing I like about ABC Grandstand on my digital radio is that it's a couple off seconds ahead of the tv; is that the same for the app?
It was back on after the tea break, obviously when the footy was over

Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur
Can I? :D Thanks.
I'm not the most tech-savvy dude around.
One thing I like about ABC Grandstand on my digital radio is that it's a couple off seconds ahead of the tv; is that the same for the app?
It was back on after the tea break, obviously when the footy was over

I'm not sure :think: I only stream the radio commentary when I can't watch.

Generally in an Ashes series over there they combine TMS and ABC grandstand. It's not the first time they've done it. They may have done it in Australia in occasion.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
Good bump.

Was kinda frustrating listening to Alison Mitchell and Jason Gillespie on ABC having no idea what Mohammad Rizwan's first class batting average was, nor where he bats for his province. Would have thought that's fairly basic information to be across if you were commentating a test match.

Sep 20, 2009
Pascoe Vale
AFL Club
Geelong
Good bump.

Was kinda frustrating listening to Alison Mitchell and Jason Gillespie on ABC having no idea what Mohammad Rizwan's first class batting average was, nor where he bats for his province. Would have thought that's fairly basic information to be across if you were commentating a test match.
Hell, they could have just looked up Cricinfo when they were commentating

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
ABC got gutted financially, if you knew how little the guest commentators were paid for a full 5 test & one day summer commitment, Skull "retired" from the ABC for a few reasons but it was more economic for him to do one guest speaking gig a week and he'd still be in front instead of doing a test match.
My understanding was that he was offered a voluntary redundancy, and jumped at the chance of a payday knowing that he could easily replace the income stream.

Back