Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - RYAN BYRNES!

Remove this Banner Ad

Medium midfielder who has had an outstanding year with the Sandringham Dragons with his prolific ball winning ability (particularly at stoppages) a real feature of his game. Has very good game sense and creativity with his hands and has developed his leadership skills across the season, captaining his side in the NAB League. He had a taste of representative football playing one game for Vic Metro, winning 14 possessions and has been an ultra-consistent performer at club level averaging 25.6 disposals, 3.5 marks and 3.5 tackles across 15 games. Another prominent member of St Bede’s which won its first ever Herald Sun Shield final this year.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
200w (3).gif

Aug 15, 2009
Geelong
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Liverpool
Knightmare seems to rate him

"18. Ryan Byrnes

Best position: Inside midfield

Height, weight: 182cm, 84kg

Recruited from: Sandringham Dragons

Projected draft range: 20-50

Plays like: Jake Steven

October Rankings: 18

Rationale: On performance in the NAB League, Byrnes has been one of the most damaging midfielders by winning the ball and hurting the opposition with his acceleration and hurt-factor by foot.

Strengths: Wins first possession at stoppages, wins ground ball on the move, use of speed with ball in hand around stoppages, line-breaking pace, agility, evasion in traffic, impact per possession, hurt factor by foot, places kicks out in front of targets to lead onto, vision to find targets inside 50m

Weaknesses: Scoreboard impact, unclear versatility"

"18. Ryan Byrnes

Rationale: On performance in the NAB League, Byrnes has been one of the most damaging midfielders by winning the ball and hurting the opposition with his acceleration and hurt-factor by foot.

Strengths: Wins first possession at stoppages, wins ground ball on the move, use of speed with ball in hand around stoppages, line-breaking pace, agility, evasion in traffic, impact per possession, hurt factor by foot, places kicks out in front of targets to lead onto, vision to find targets inside 50m

The last bit gave me an image in my head of Harves lace out to Plugger. One can only dream ...welcome to the Saints Ryan

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Atavistic

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Team Coco
Gun player. I wanted him at our pick, but instead we traded it because we hate drafting mids. I've watched some Sandy games and he's always in the thick of things, energetic, good disposal and makes the right decision nearly all the time. I think he could be one of the steals of the draft.

Nutsngum

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 14, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers FC

"18. Ryan Byrnes

Aka, Strengths: Is a pure unapologetic inside mid. Weaknesses: Is a pure unapologetic inside mid.

Gun player. I wanted him at our pick, but instead we traded it because we hate drafting mids. I've watched some Sandy games and he's always in the thick of things, energetic, good disposal and makes the right decision nearly all the time. I think he could be one of the steals of the draft.
I havent followed Essendons trades or drafting at all, did you take any inside mids at all as that still seems to be Essendons major weakness.

mightymalaka

What we have here is a failure to communicate!
May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
I'm still picking myself up from Bergholt's assertion that he has a face like a dropped pie! lol....Harsh but hilarious! 😁
With that a warm and hearty welcome young man to our family!

What i am impressed with are his attributes, has exactly what we need from the sounds of it
Explosive Pace...Especially from stoppages....Wins his own ball and has hurt factor with ball in hand, plus shows leadership qualities!

Dare i say all the strengths of a certain Jack Steven but better by foot apparently which is a super endorsement
Looks to be smart and a real footballer which is a huge tick for me, and from what some of the experts say
He is one of the more likely of all the draftees to be able to have an impact early which is another bonus for us
In an area ( midfield ) Where we need more to run through there at a higher level that what has previously been produced!

Maybe just maybe Clark, Bytel and this lad can really add spark and impact for us next season turning our long time weakness
Into a pleasantly surprising strength! And that's not counting what we hope Hill and Hanners bring to the table!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back