Player Watch Lachlan Gollant - Contract Extension to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

And? We had 4 picks prior.

If you think the kid has a very high ceiling, but needs a lot of work, your last pick is the time to take said player.
And? That’s a crazy comment. What if your first four pick were top 20, does that make 25 a project player?

Scholl a project player? Or someone who could get a game in his second year? Butts a rookie could get a game next year in his second year.

It was a pick in the 40s, you’re making out it was a pick in the 80s where project players tend to go.
Sholl is a project player and came on very nicely this year, exactly what you can hope for this early. Butts is another project player who could get games next year, great result. No one is restricting the timeframe on when they can play, just being realistic about his chances based on limited info.

It was pick 48 in a draft that lasted about 60 live picks, that’s a late pick in this draft. All drafts are relative.

The local player talked about as being in first round contention last year who had an injury hampered year yet still managed to average 2.5 goals a game in the SANFL versus the guy nobody has heard of who may well have been available in the rookie draft. That's why.

I will also say, that Gollant does look to fill our needs better than Taheny.
Fair enough mate.

Why would someone make that up? You still can’t explain it.
He didn’t even have to make it up, we are talking about 4th hand info. It could easily have morphed from “we rate you and would like to pick you up” to “we are definitely picking you up”. That bloke has no idea who else GWS had lined up and who was their preference.

Sholl is a project player and came on very nicely this year, exactly what you can hope for this early. Butts is another project player who could get games next year, great result. No one is restricting the timeframe on when they can play, just being realistic about his chances based on limited info.

It was pick 48 in a draft that lasted about 60 live picks, that’s a late pick in this draft. All drafts are relative.
By that definition all draftees are project players.

Scholl and Butts could play in their second year, that’s the point, at 191cms and 73kgs he doesn’t have the body to play for years, he will he snapped in two.

He didn’t even have to make it up, we are talking about 4th hand info. It could easily have morphed from “we rate you and would like to pick you up” to “we are definitely picking you up”. That bloke has no idea who else GWS had lined up and who was their preference.
It’s a heck of a lot more info than you have on the subject. Obviously the poster knows Gollant personally, I’m not sure why you can’t at least take his info on board and just move on.

Scholl and Butts could play in their second year, that’s the point, at 191cms and 73kgs he doesn’t have the body to play for years, he will he snapped in two.
You do realise Will Day selected at pick 13 is a stick twig too?

It’s a heck of a lot more info than you have on the subject. Obviously the poster knows Gollant personally, I’m not sure why you can’t at least take his info on board and just move on.
You could easily stop quoting me and guess what, the subject has moved on.

I’m not going to change my opinion based on anything you or he has posted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zac Butters looks barely physically ready for year 10 school footy but did just bloody fine at AFL level this year.

You do realise Will Day selected at pick 13 is a stick twig too?
When do you reckon Day will play? And ones a highly rated junior the other a “project” player, who you going to be patient with?

When do you reckon Day will play? And ones a highly rated junior the other a “project” player, who you going to be patient with?
You spoke about his weight being a problem at AFL level, I just pointed out that’s a load of s**t. Of course someone selected at pick 13 is a better chance of making it, but that wasn’t the point of your post. I never brought up weight.

I mean only 65 picks this year so well and truly in the back half of the draft, I'm not massively fussed. Over the moon with our first three picks, and that's probably what's going to matter going forward

Yeah, kind of get the feeling this draft dropped off the cliff a bit around pick 30ish.

O’Conner has the feel of a 50+ pick and Gollant a 70+/rookie type selection.

I gather there was a significant something putting us off Taheny, as pure, exposed talent wise he has these 2 covered by a country mile.

He was talked about a lot as a potential first round pick last year, so yes.

I'm happy to give Ogilvie the benefit of the doubt and if he pulls this one off, he's a genius. However, the comparisons with Taheny are going to start immediately and rightfully so.

Im happy to back Ogilvy also, but sometimes I wonder if we get a little too clever. It’s almost seems a source of pride to not select “the favourite” player or take the “obvious” option.

I’m not against picking non-SA based talent, but we could very easily have picked Stephens, Schoenberg, Gould and Taheny and it still would have looked a very good draft, 3 of them even.

For me it’s not the “go home” factor. I believe our soul, our origin, our identity is as a pseudo state of origin team. The “team for all south Australians”... “kick a Vic”... Yet at best a quarter of our list had any significant links to our state pre getting drafted.

Would we get a greater buy in, greater passion, greater ownership of the club by the players if they were predominantly SA boys. Certainly cap and retention issues would be easier with a greater portion of local lads.

Instead we’ve effectively become a pseudo Victorian club. Rucci and the PAPs have always accused us ofbeing this soulless, plastic, corporate organisation. I hope I’m wrong, and this is probably the wrong thread for this, but I worry they right than we know.

Individually, or in isolation, our selections and decisions around recruiting/list management make sense and are sound, but I think we lose out on the “bigger picture” and that’s not just to do with picking SA lads.

All I'm gonna say is GWS had shown interest in Lachie prior to you guys showing interest. He tore a school footy grand final up for Essendon Grammar and got best on ground. That's when he caught Adelaide's eye and then went back to Calder and nearly won the b&f there.

He was going to play school soccer in a lower team before the year starting to focus on studies before the school footy coach convinced him to play school footy and then Calder picked him up when they saw a few of his school footy games. Adelaide must think there is so much upside with how raw he is.

He is a kid which high character and unbelievably smart as well.

If you don't believe me, thats fine. Good luck in 2020 :thumbsu:
I’ve never said GWS didn’t show interest, but to state categorically a player will he picked up at a certain pick just doesn’t happen.

You spoke about his weight being a problem at AFL level, I just pointed out that’s a load of s**t. Of course someone selected at pick 13 is a better chance of making it, but that wasn’t the point of your post. I never brought up weight.
Of course it’s the point, a highly rated skinny player you can be patient with, a player who is a speculative pick who will be 2-3 years before he has the necessary weight should be a rookie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back