2019 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's face it noone really knows how these teenagers are going to turn out . There are usually 3 or 4 standouts most years and even then clubs get it totally wrong.

I'm a bit more impressed by Robertson the person than Robertson the player right at this point ,but with his attitude and the football smarts he has he could improve rapidly in an AFL environment. He seems like a really good fit for the club .

I really don't care what we paid for Coleman . Blind Freddie can see he has the X Factor ,who knows whether he ultimately makes it or not but you just love having guys with his ability on your list.

After that it's debatable why we ended up with who we did but we're expertly researched and I'm sure we did the best we could with what was available.

Would've loved to have seen Lachie Johnson up here just for sentimental reasons.

Essendon is toxic in just about everything they do.

I'm pretty happy. I've paid even less attention than I normally do this year, but robertson looks like a good prospect and certainly seems to know exactly the right things to say in interviews. Don't really have an opinion on B. Smith and Jaxxon.

Beyond delighted that we matched the bid for Coleman. He was the highlight of watching the neafl streams and I was fully ready to have a mini-melt if we let essendon of all clubs get him. I won't be surprised if he plays some senior footy next year.

I get good vibes from Brock Smith. We need depth in backs who can do a genuine job on an opponent. He’s a hard nosed defensive competitor with tidy foot skills. Hodgey will take it from there.

I get good vibes from Brock Smith. We need depth in backs who can do a genuine job on an opponent. He’s a hard nosed defensive competitor with tidy foot skills. Hodgey will take it from there.
Seems to be really clean in his attack on the footy from what I've seen. And fearless.

Plus the name . Brock Smith .

Can't wait till we're calling him Brock the Rock.

Good to see us get another WA boy to pair with Robertson. Glass might be a premiership player keen to bring him back but he could be one on his own in a year or two

Just on Darren Glass in the interview they said he is Deven’s uncle and assistant coach at Hawthorn. Probably reason why hawks were keen on him.

Either way, 2 or 3, do we need more defenders?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
The club, through Conole and Noble have been saying that we do since 5 minutes after last years draft.

Listen to last year’s post draft Roar Deal podcast, and every draft related interview since then.

It’s been outside run and carry from defence.

One thing this years draft lacked was outside mids and wingers.

Dylan Stephens to the Swans at 5 was the best and really only outside mid.

Jeremy Sharp to Gold Coast at 27 was the one stand out winger.

So we drafted a taller lock down defender and a running flanker.

Along with a quality small forward and a gun inside mid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coleman looks like he has blistering pace.

I think Prior and Smith with a single preseason are the types that can give you immediate depth cover, may even debut.

Robertson at Pick 22, bargain of the year. Joel Selwood clone, and we passed on him twice. Lot of Cats fans scratching their heads.

I think you guys did alright considering the draft hand you had.

Is Archie Smith going to be rookied with your first selection tomorrow? I wonder if the Cats are looking at him, I think we will add a ruck in the rookie draft somehow.

I really didn't do much draft research this year and I can't say I knew a whole lot about Robertson before we took him.

But just looking at that interview, he is one hell of an impressive young man.

And unless he's one almighty great actor, he already looks to be a committed Lions man.

Leadership, commitment and skill. Reminds me a bit of J Berry

Looks like a good pick to me

The only disappointment of the night for me was that the Demons took Trent Rivers at pick 32 immediately before our selection, I uttered some expletives and slapped the couch when the Demons took him... although who knows Conole, Ambrogio and co may have still decided to go with Brock the Rock at 33.

I was super proud of our recruiting team last night.
We gave away a super late 2nd round pick (40-45 probably) to ensure we nab who was clearly the biggest slidder of the draft. Devon Robertson loves the idea of Brissy and is already used to living away from home. Current club and state Captain. Bargain. Perfect.

Love everything I read about Brock. Defender. Strong overhead. Super tough. Good ball user. We're thinking about life after Rich and others. Might free Whitho to move up the field... or atleast compliment Whitho with the hardness Whitho is still developing.

We definatley hoped to have another selection before Coleman.... but 100% knew there was a chance we wouldnt. Do you Dylan12 honestly believe we manufactured the pick swaps on the spot??!!

No... that was a fall back plan executed perfectly to ensure we get Jaxon or other talent we wanted. Our backup plan even had a backup plan.... couldnt get a deal done with one.... had another club waiting. We knew who to talk to and when. Bravo.
We paid market value for Coleman and ensured he's a Lion. People that know better than I say he's a steal.

Jaxon Prior the exact player our team have been looking for. A run and carry defender who is good overhead and has a strong link to another draftee we selected. Dont be suprised if it emerges Jaxon and Devon are mates.

Our team under Swan, Noble, Fagen is so good.

To the doubters. Broaden your thinking here. We we not caught off gaurd at all.

When you then combine the above with the mature talent and experience we've brought in.... and and 2 first round draft picks to trade or select more highend talent...

Take a bow again Lions. You did everything possible here. Only time will be the judge now.

Last edited:
I was super proud of our recruiting team last night.
We gave away a super late 2nd round pick (40-45 probably) to ensure we nab who was clearly the biggest slidder of the draft. Devon Smith loves the idea of Brissy and is already used to living away from home. Current club and state Captain. Bargain. Perfect.

Love everything I read about Brock. Defender. Strong overhead. Super tough. Good ball user. We're thinking about life after Rich and others. Might free Whitho to move up the field... or atleast compliment Whitho with some hardness Whitho is still developing.

We definatley hoped to have another selection before Coleman.... but 100% knew there was a chance we wouldnt. Do you Dylan12 honestly believe we manufactured the pick swaps on the spot??!!

No... that was a fall back plan executed perfectly to ensure we get Jaxson or other talent we wanted. Our backup plan even had a backup plan.... couldnt get a deal done with one.... had another club waiting. We knew who to talk to and when. Bravo.
We paid market value for Coleman and ensured he's a Lion. People that know better than I say he's a steal.

Jaxon Prior the exact player our team have been looking for. A run and carry defender who is good overhead and has a strong link to another draftee we selected. Dont be suprised if it emerges Jaxon and Devon are mates.

Our team under Swan, Noble, Fagen is so good.

To the doubters. Broaden your thinking here. We we not caught off gaurd at all.
It's Deven Robertson. Not Devon Smith.

100% we manufactured the pick swap on the spot. That was very clear on the live coverage.

100% we manufactured the pick swap on the spot. That was very clear on the live coverage.
No... we had a final discussion on the night.... and closed the deal on the night. However conversations had already happened with these clubs as a fall back plan. Thats why we immeditaly rang to 2 clubs who we knew would be willing to do it.

They didnt just start cold calling teams in the hope someone would bite. It was a fallback position planned out that worked.

I don't believe that would be the case, but let's assume it was. Kudos to Ambrogio who was clearly leading the deal making. He was able to extract an excellent deal under pressured environment with significant time constraints. He got us the points, extracted perhaps a better future third and we still managed to secure Coleman and Prior with our last pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back