Opinion Unpopular opinions

May 29, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
AFLW can GTFO.

PC campaigners can be right behind them.
AFLW is objectively good for the game wrt growing the market in grassroots footy. It's the best thing Gil has done over his entire tenure - and even then he's put his special Gil the Dill spin on it.

On G8141 using BigFooty.com mobile app

DoItForCaptBlood

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2008
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Richmond
Why does it bother people though?

I don’t watch it either, I also don’t like golf but I don’t complain that it exists like some do with AFLW. I just don’t watch it

Exactly how I feel actually. My point is 'take it to the other room and close the door'.
Just as you said, you don't have to watch it, but women's basketball, soccer, golf, and even cricket to an extent, don't seem hell bent on combining the women's and men's games. The seem to be happy to stay separate entities. While the AFL seem hell bent on doing the exact opposite. I'm happy for the women to grow their game and develop it into the premier women's sport. Just as long as I'm not having to watch, listen, read news and results because it is all getting combined with the men's game.

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond

I don’t watch it either, I also don’t like golf but I don’t complain that it exists like some do with AFLW. I just don’t watch it
Got my membership, and the envelope, membership card, fridge magnet, all 50/50 boys and girls. (absolutely no idea who the girls were)
Do you think that's disproportionate?

Good on the girls, but seriously give me a break.

Virtual signaling at its finest.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Not sure if unpopular but I would have preferred Robertson over Dow and Bianco over Cumberland or Martyn in this year's draft. But hey, if I get proven wrong then it's a win for Richmond!

would have been a great result

im guessing richmond think robertson cant kick and bianco is too small

Feb 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Got my membership, and the envelope, membership card, fridge magnet, all 50/50 boys and girls. (absolutely no idea who the girls were)

Sabrina Frederick (2xAA) and Katie Brennan (former Bulldogs premiership captain).

And if some faces on a membership pack frustrates you this much, probably best to swap that Yellow sash for a red one.

Not sure if unpopular but I would have preferred Robertson over Dow and Bianco over Cumberland or Martyn in this year's draft. But hey, if I get proven wrong then it's a win for Richmond!
Think with Robertson we basically have Graham and Ross who play the same role. Who knows though im more than happy to back the recruting dept in. They haven't had too many misses of late

Oct 20, 2007
Cranbourne, Vic
AFL Club
Richmond
Not sure if this has already been mentioned but I dislike the fact that Richmond award Premiership players instant life membership of the club. They receive a Premiership medal in front of the football world and obvious adulation from the Tiger army. To me, Life Membership should be awarded to those who have given long term, significant contributions/service to our club, either on field, off field or both.

I have no intention of offending any of our recent Premiership stars, but to put them up there with the likes of Richo, Matty Knights, Wayne Campbell, Benny Gale, Joel Bowden & Brett Deledio, all of whom missed a flag, but spilt their collective guts over many years, just doesn't add up in my opinion.

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
Not sure if this has already been mentioned but I dislike the fact that Richmond award Premiership players instant life membership of the club. They receive a Premiership medal in front of the football world and obvious adulation from the Tiger army. To me, Life Membership should be awarded to those who have given long term, significant contributions/service to our club, either on field, off field or both.

I have no intention of offending any of our recent Premiership stars, but to put them up there with the likes of Richo, Matty Knights, Wayne Campbell, Benny Gale, Joel Bowden & Brett Deledio, all of whom missed a flag, but spilt their collective guts over many years, just doesn't add up in my opinion.

It's not something I stress over at all, but I agree with you.

However, I can see the argument for both sides (the ultimate aim of the club is winning premierships, therefore those players etc.....). As I said - not stressed - just my opinion.

Hank Heavenly

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Apr 10, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
East Fremantle

Exactly how I feel actually. My point is 'take it to the other room and close the door'.
Just as you said, you don't have to watch it, but women's basketball, soccer, golf, and even cricket to an extent, don't seem hell bent on combining the women's and men's games. The seem to be happy to stay separate entities. While the AFL seem hell bent on doing the exact opposite. I'm happy for the women to grow their game and develop it into the premier women's sport. Just as long as I'm not having to watch, listen, read news and results because it is all getting combined with the men's game.

I think the issue is that AFLW is kinda being forced upon people, and anyone who says the don't like it, or challenge the comp, is immediately branded a sexist...

Me personally, I'm not a big fan. The standard is terrible, its unattractive footy and even though I have tried a few times, I just can't watch it.

I certainly appreciate what pathways and opportunities it is opening up for future generations of females across the country and I'm excited by that (I coached junior footy the last few years and young girl in my side was living her dream playing footy). So I actually support the concept and what the future holds, I think it's doing wonders for growing the game as a whole.

What I think also annoys people, well it does me and some others I have talked too, it the automatic promotion of AFLW footballers to "Superstars" and "greats of the game", when reality is, all of them are below State League level footy. Erin Phillips is the ONLY one at the moment that comfortably call her self a footballer. And before people jump on the Daisy Pearce bandwagon, she is massively overrated IMO...

The WNBA works because it did it's time, the girls are so skilled at their craft, and its a competitive competition, and AFLW will get there one day, just don't force it upon me and tell that day is now, because it is not.

Infamy

🐯🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Oct 1, 2004
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
Richmond
I think the issue is that AFLW is kinda being forced upon people, and anyone who says the don't like it, or challenge the comp, is immediately branded a sexist...

Me personally, I'm not a big fan. The standard is terrible, its unattractive footy and even though I have tried a few times, I just can't watch it.

I certainly appreciate what pathways and opportunities it is opening up for future generations of females across the country and I'm excited by that (I coached junior footy the last few years and young girl in my side was living her dream playing footy). So I actually support the concept and what the future holds, I think it's doing wonders for growing the game as a whole.

What I think also annoys people, well it does me and some others I have talked too, it the automatic promotion of AFLW footballers to "Superstars" and "greats of the game", when reality is, all of them are below State League level footy. Erin Phillips is the ONLY one at the moment that comfortably call her self a footballer. And before people jump on the Daisy Pearce bandwagon, she is massively overrated IMO...

The WNBA works because it did it's time, the girls are so skilled at their craft, and its a competitive competition, and AFLW will get there one day, just don't force it upon me and tell that day is now, because it is not.
I really don't understand how its forced on you

Back