State Focus WA 2019 - Western Australia's junior footy talent

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't had enough exposure to the elite private school system in WA but the Colts systems is very professional, sub elite if you were to catergorise it. Every club should now be on a standardized volume of training of at least 3 days a week. They should all be performing similar training strategies (video analysis, skills, S&C, recovery) and every club should now have a minimum number of coaches which I assume is at least 4 - 10 depending on how well resourced they are.

Can the elite school system in WA be ahead? If so, what else could the WAFL be doing? During the season, WAFL Colts players would be in the footy environment up to 5 days a week.

I haven't had enough exposure to the elite private school system in WA but the Colts systems is very professional, sub elite if you were to catergorise it. Every club should now be on a standardized volume of training of at least 3 days a week. They should all be performing similar training strategies (video analysis, skills, S&C, recovery) and every club should now have a minimum number of coaches which I assume is at least 4 - 10 depending on how well resourced they are.

Can the elite school system in WA be ahead? If so, what else could the WAFL be doing? During the season, WAFL Colts players would be in the footy environment up to 5 days a week.

Yeah I don't think it's down to the WAFL vs PSA system, more the fact that privilege breeds opportunity and money breeds success.

PSA kids tend to be from middle-to-upper class families with better educated parents and better support structures in place growing up. Plus add in talented players from lower socioeconomic backgrounds being given scholarships (I presume this still happens). And country kids (where a lot of the talent come from) who need to be sent to Perth for schooling often end up as PSA boarders. It all adds up. Plus PSA kids still do WAFL preseasons so they get the best of both worlds.

Obviously the schools have good programs in place, but I believe it's as much a case of the PSA attracting talent as them creating it.

Last edited:

And country kids (where a lot of the talent come from) who need to be sent to Perth for schooling often end up as PSA boarders. It all adds up. Plus PSA kids still do WAFL preseasons so they get the best of both worlds.

Yep. There was a time when boarders didnt have access to the junior footy comps.

Aquinas College 4 boys drafted this year, 3 last year. Place is a factory.

On SM-A705YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
pretty amazing for a WA school. I reckon the WA kids have it slightly tougher to get viewed. Im pretty sure all of the WA kids were in the WA U18's (over last two years) but Vic had a few outside picks today from kids who didn't play U18 for Vic but were watched in other comps. SO this even makes it more impressive to have 4 from one school today.

pretty amazing for a WA school. I reckon the WA kids have it slightly tougher to get viewed. Im pretty sure all of the WA kids were in the WA U18's (over last two years) but Vic had a few outside picks today from kids who didn't play U18 for Vic but were watched in other comps. SO this even makes it more impressive to have 4 from one school today.
I can tell you that the Lions recruiters watch a lot of WA football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aquinas, Trinity, and to a lesser degree Wesley are the traditional footy schools in the PSA.

Hale is usually stronger than Wesley in the last 5/6 years i have been paying attention.

Every school bar Trinity has the advantage of country boarders, Trinity may put up a couple of indigenous kids on scholarships, but they rely on city kids, they do come from as far away as Mandurah and Yanchep but usually around Dianella, Morley, Swan Valley and many Italian families from those areas, hence sometimes the footy teams look like an Italian world cup soccer team with the names.

OK, i am on my hobby horse again.

!6(?) WA boys drafted from the under 18 winning team, but apparently no one good enough outside that team to be drafted, yet 4/5 Vic boys from outside the Met and country teams good enough ?.

WA is the second largest market for AF in the WORLD.

It has double the population of the 3rd biggest market SA, it has double the amount of colts teams and double the participation, it has a higher % of the population playing the game than Vic.

Not good enough AFL, WA needs a second under 18 team.

If three quarters of the existing team aren't getting drafted, why would a second team diluting that talent help?

(Also, I count at least 9 - Jackson, Henry, Robertson, Sharp, Rivers, Taylor, Jamieson, Warner, Garcia)

Think it was 16 under 18's.

If a second team dilutes the talent, why bother with 2 Vic teams and why not combine the TAS, NSW, ACT, QLD and NT team into one.

A second team would increase the talent options not dilute it in WA for reasons i have pointed out.

!6(?) WA boys drafted from the under 18 winning team, but apparently no one good enough outside that team to be drafted, yet 4/5 Vic boys from outside the Met and country teams good enough ?.

It has double the population of the 3rd biggest market SA, it has double the amount of colts teams and double the participation, it has a higher % of the population playing the game than Vic.

you guys got i believe 16 draftees from the u18, i think thats plenty, i think 1 or 2 were lucky to be drafted.

Vic Players who didnt play at the champs:
Sam Philp - this was a pick that was athlete over footballer
Cooper Stephens - injured, would have been a good player for VC, in VC squad (similar situation to Georgiades)
Flynn Perez - injured would have been a good player for VC, in VC squad
Francis Evans - no idea who he is, played 2 games of nableague and was a real Geelong Smokey
Sam Ramsay - had a solid year especially last half of the year, probably should have played for VM, but VM selectors made bad choices
Lachlan Gollant - another odd selection, not sure on this one, has some talent especially in the air as a tall mid, but doesnt seem likely to make it
Lachlan Johnson - Bris F/S that went to Ess, didnt think he was good enough, but they took a chance on Chris Johnsons kid
Leo Connolly - played well enough in the last half of the year to be a chance to be drafted

*i dont think you can count C.Stephens and Perez
*Ramsay, Philp and Connolly earned a chance late in the draft, Philp being taken first round was poor by Carlton imo
*Evans came from nowhere, mystery smokey
*Gollant and Johnson both from Calder are big question marks for me

Think it was 16 under 18's.
You're right, 16 under 18s plus Treacey from the WAFL. The typo in your first post threw me off.

If a second team dilutes the talent, why bother with 2 Vic teams
Because the Victorian talent needed diluting after they steamrolled the competition as a combined side, and still win it more than half the time while split in two.

why not combine the TAS, NSW, ACT, QLD and NT team into one.
They do, the Allies, and it's still so weak they are lucky to win a game and get more than a handful drafted - 8 from those states all up. Playing in a weaker side doesn't get you drafted if you aren't good enough.

You're right, 16 under 18s plus Treacey from the WAFL. The typo in your first post threw me off.

Because the Victorian talent needed diluting after they steamrolled the competition as a combined side, and still win it more than half the time while split in two.

They do, the Allies, and it's still so weak they are lucky to win a game and get more than a handful drafted - 8 from those states all up. Playing in a weaker side doesn't get you drafted if you aren't good enough.

OK, i was thinking more the individual state under 18 teams (northern states and Tassie) that play each other during the course of the year and getting them a bit confused with the Allies.

My point is - i think the depth of players in WA would enable it to have 2 decent under 18 teams, i would have thought simple demographics are making it more viable, players step up when given the opportunity.

you guys got i believe 16 draftees from the u18, i think thats plenty, i think 1 or 2 were lucky to be drafted.

Vic Players who didnt play at the champs:
Sam Philp - this was a pick that was athlete over footballer
Cooper Stephens - injured, would have been a good player for VC, in VC squad (similar situation to Georgiades)
Flynn Perez - injured would have been a good player for VC, in VC squad
Francis Evans - no idea who he is, played 2 games of nableague and was a real Geelong Smokey
Sam Ramsay - had a solid year especially last half of the year, probably should have played for VM, but VM selectors made bad choices
Lachlan Gollant - another odd selection, not sure on this one, has some talent especially in the air as a tall mid, but doesnt seem likely to make it
Lachlan Johnson - Bris F/S that went to Ess, didnt think he was good enough, but they took a chance on Chris Johnsons kid
Leo Connolly - played well enough in the last half of the year to be a chance to be drafted

*i dont think you can count C.Stephens and Perez
*Ramsay, Philp and Connolly earned a chance late in the draft, Philp being taken first round was poor by Carlton imo
*Evans came from nowhere, mystery smokey
*Gollant and Johnson both from Calder are big question marks for me

Great post, and a couple more than what i thought, it seems for WA they pick these players not from the under 18's but mature WAFL players, clubs seem more than happy to speculate on younger Vic boys outside the metro and country teams - perhaps because of the distance factor in relocation which means $$ and maybe ( a bug bear of mine) they underate WA boys ?.

I think if WA can consistently win the U18's champs for a few years, the draft trend will change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back