2019 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

How is it heaps of risk? Both teams are likely to finish top 4, so late 30's picks. Then even more academy kids next year will push those picks into the mid to late 40s. Even if we were to finish below them, it will make FA difference.

Having said that. I am confused by the trade. It didnt seem to serve any purpose. Mind games?
Except it’s st kildas 2nd round pick.

Personally i like it. We backed our boys in to top the pies for very little loss, and the pies backed their team in to be better. Adds to the rivalry and narrative.
It's tied to St Kildas finishing position though, so that will probably be a 6-10 spot upgrade in next year's second round.

So let's say we finish top 4 at a minimum and the Saints miss the finals and finish 10th? We would have picks 15 and 27? Either way it should be 2 picks inside 30. It's a good spot to be when lots of clubs will be after academy points.

Could see us bundling points for a top 10 pick easily. Good thing to have if we want to trade for a good player.

So let's say we finish top 4 at a minimum and the Saints miss the finals and finish 10th? We would have picks 15 and 27? Either way it should be 2 picks inside 30. It's a good spot to be when lots of clubs will be after academy points.

Could see us bundling points for a top 10 pick easily. Good thing to have if we want to trade for a good player.
And that's what should have happened this year with the Ellis compo. AFL have tried to screw us but we are too smart to bend over.

Possibly not, hope so.

I think the best chance is Ralphsmith.

Because the scope is there and its more foreseeable.

I doubt Martyn will even if he improves will likely be superseded.

Cumberland, you never know might be a bit like the Lions captain.

The tall Sudanese is a hail mary, possible but the trouble is he has our ruch division to compete against and has to get size for KPP. Anything is possible but will not be easy for him.

If the Sudanese beats the odds he will have to become a hell of a player.

I hope they all make it but they are speculative even Dow

You know I had a look at RFC website highlights of Bigoa. His visual physicals are off my charts. He could be anything. I actually would not play Bigoa in the ruck KPP until he develops more size in his body and he needs to take care not to put too much weight on his legs. Still 195 cm is a nice size for someone of his athletic profile even for ruck. Look I would play him on the wing in a Richo role initially and see what happens. His compactness and apparent balance for a guy his height looks unbelievable. If he has great hands look out Chol might be able to help him. I can see why RFC took a punt on him in the draft.

The other thing is Ralphsmith is listed as a forward although he looks like a winger. He has a long boot on him to so he has some versatility in his game which will help him

🤣 Reading your post makes me feel better about my thoughts that Martyn is going to surprise quite a few. Has been playing along side Andrew Swallow and a few other fringe AFL boys (one who I know well) and they say he is going to be good, and the if is, if he settles in OK. His footy ability is undoubted, it's the above the shoulders stuff. By being at Tigerland he will have every chance given the way do everything with respect. Leppa will look after Martyn, of that I am sure.

The round 2 pick we got from the Pies is the Saints round 2 pick for 2020 as the Pies had traded their pick to Brisbane already.
How sure are you about this? AFL.com.au doesn't say it's tied to St Kilda yet other clubs moves do say when it's tied to a different club (as per Hawthorns trade)...

Screenshot_20191129-003258.jpg

🤣 Reading your post makes me feel better about my thoughts that Martyn is going to surprise quite a few. Has been playing along side Andrew Swallow and a few other fringe AFL boys (one who I know well) and they say he is going to be good, and the if is, if he settles in OK. His footy ability is undoubted, it's the above the shoulders stuff. By being at Tigerland he will have every chance given the way do everything with respect. Leppa will look after Martyn, of that I am sure.

Hope he does.

I was thinking Mcrae and Leppa would have an idea what is happening up there. Looks like he has a bigger bum which L Mathews will like. He might surprise like you say. Seems to do the simple things well like Ross so who knows and apparently has some versatility inside and out.

The fellow I am warming to is Cumberland. His don't argue in his highlights was a classic as well as his ball and all tackle, leftie with nice agility and speed, looks raw to and rough. Scope for further improvement there to apparently. He took a few strong marks to and apparently can go forward. I think this is one guy I would not mind RFC fast tracking if possible. There is something about him, plays without fear, he is a bit unique and the left foot and his way is something different. He looks comfortable at speed with a bit of composure. Might be able to provide forward support and a chop out for Cotch. You never know what this guy might achieve off the reigns!! He is a bit agricultural but that jus makes it harder for oppositions to read and a potential valuable point of difference for us. You could play Cumberland off half back to so his versatility could be quite valuable. Imagine Cumberland along side Vlastuin, what a hell combination for opposition forwards!! :D

Last edited:
Hope he does.

I was thinking Mcrae and Leppa would have an idea what is happening up there. Looks like he has a bigger bum which L Mathews will like. He might surprise like you say. Seems to do the simple things well like Ross so who knows and apparently has some versatility inside and out.

The fellow I am warming to is Cumberland. His don't argue in his highlights was a classic as well as his ball and all tackle, leftie with nice agility and speed, looks raw to and rough. Scope for further improvement there to apparently. He took a few strong marks to and apparently can go forward. I think this is one guy I would not mind RFC fast tracking if possible. There is something about him, plays without fear, he is a bit unique and the left foot and his way is something different. He looks comfortable at speed with a bit of composure. Might be able to provide forward support and a chop out for Cotch. You never know what this guy might achieve off the reigns!! He is a bit agricultural but that jus makes it harder for oppositions to read and a potential valuable point of difference for us

I said to U2 earlier in the night, Cumberland is a Dusty protege. That is not to say he is the same, no one is. But Cumberland has traits that Dusty will respect and visa versa. They will understand each other, despite being different off the ground. I think Martyn is the one we wanted most of the two, just a bit surprised we went in boots and all for mids and flankers. I'm concerned now, we are nearly agreeing :tearsofjoy:

I tell you what Stack, Ross, RCD, Balta, Graham, CCJ and others of that vintage will not be happy. Instead of picking players more ready made like Thayen we went the speculative route for some that are 3-4 years away or not at all.

On top of that Ross and RCD has to compete with the likes of Dow, Cumberland and Marytn for similar spots in the middle at times.

We do not have a ready made Thayen to assist in the forward line without Townsend if we get into a few injuries and so forth either which might be the difference in a final.

I just do not understand the rationale, we have risks and weakness that have not been addressed.

Watching them play I get one of Cumberland and Martyn but not both.

What if we get a significant injury to JR or Martin regarding forward line effectiveness?

We do exactly what we did this year when Rance went down and everyone wrote us off. We change our structure and give opportunities to others who deserve it. do not forget that this year we won a GF with the worst injury list in the league for 12 rounds. We played 40 different players, which 35 will return/ Of the 5 that left only 1 (B.Ellis) was a starter.

I cant say i know squat of these kids overall, but i read our recruiting to be very much a blueprint for the future and where we see the game heading. Speed and quick hands. We won 2017 based on style over talent and i think we are already planning our next game changer. When drafting in from the top, on top of ridiculously compromised drafts - rebuilding without bottoming out will continue to be very hard. The only way you will maintain it is to evolve in style and be ahead of the curb. I think this draft shows a glimpse of that

Prudent planning.
Ralph was a good acquisition, ranked from 15 onwards, Dow was estimated 20 onwards.
They would probably retain one of Biggy or Chol in the medium term, cannot see both retained, major year for Markov.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We do exactly what we did this year when Rance went down and everyone wrote us off. We change our structure and give opportunities to others who deserve it. do not forget that this year we won a GF with the worst injury list in the league for 12 rounds. We played 40 different players, which 35 will return/ Of the 5 that left only 1 (B.Ellis) was a starter.

I cant say i know squat of these kids overall, but i read our recruiting to be very much a blueprint for the future and where we see the game heading. Speed and quick hands. We won 2017 based on style over talent and i think we are already planning our next game changer. When drafting in from the top, on top of ridiculously compromised drafts - rebuilding without bottoming out will continue to be very hard. The only way you will maintain it is to evolve in style and be ahead of the curb. I think this draft shows a glimpse of that
Nailed it right there boyo.......that's exactly what's happening

I come in peace lads. So a mate of mine is friends with Tassie boy Mitch O'Neill. Apparently your recruiting team was at his house last weekend telling him that the club was planning on taking him with your third rounder. He's got no idea what is going on at the moment.
Sounds like BS. I doubt the club would have guaranteed selecting him as the wouldn't who else was available.

What’s with all this negativity guys??? Highlights from all players
are impressive or solid enough... super upside to all imo..

No doubt the fact we bid on these players that means we did thorough research on them.. makes me way more confident..

You are all acting like these players are 25 year olds that should come straight into the afl team next year..
They are 17-18 year old kids that landed at the best development club in all areas physical and mental in the league

In Richmond we trust!!
🐯

no pressure Cumberland... but f.ck me I love the look of him, could be anything imo

RICHMOND
Who they picked:
21. Thomson Dow (Bendigo Pioneers), 43. Noah Cumberland (Brisbane Lions Academy), 44. William Martyn (Brisbane Lions Academy), 46. Hugo Ralphsmith (Sandringham Dragons), 54. Bigoa Nyuon (Dandenong Stingrays)

TIGERS' DRAFT HAUL Highlights and bios of your club's newest players

What the club says:
"Why not? That's what we're paid to do. We never sit at the start of the night planning to bid on a player, we have a ranking and if they come up at our picks and they're still available, we're paid to pick the best players for the Richmond footy club. If they're our picks, we bid, and if it's matched, we go to the next one on the board. It's pretty clear-cut for us." - Richmond national recruiting manager Matthew Clarke on bidding on Academy players

Verdict: It was a draft littered with bids for the reigning premiers. But before they came, the Tigers were after a versatile midfielder and secured that with Dow to end the draft's first round. He's athletic and explosive, with his burst out of stoppage a real asset. However, he's still raw and may take time to develop and improve upon his consistency. From there, it turned into a bidding fest on the second night. The Tigers had two successive picks to end the second round and used them to snare a pair of Lions Academy players in Cumberland, a smooth-moving 183cm forward, and Martyn, a prolific 183cm midfielder. The Tigers won access to both of those players after the Lions passed up the opportunity to match bids on either. Later, it forced the Saints' hand on Nyuon, with the versatile and athletic 195cm prospect also being passed on. He might find his role in the ruck at Punt Road, but can also swing into either line. In among that, it secured Ralphsmith, an elite endurance athlete who will add plenty on a wing in years to come. - Riley Beveridge

Reigning premier Richmond added Thomson Dow to their midfield stocks. Picture: AFL Photos

725229_ll.jpg

Yeah, it’s about time we did. We need to focus on high ceiling types rather than immediate impact players from this draft onwards as we really need to start looking at the next rebuild. Our core players are starting to become older now and we need replacements for them.

Graham, Ross, Balta, Garthwaite, Naish, Eggs, Stack, Higgins, Chol, RCD, CCJ, and Markov are all banging on the door for senior spots. How many replacements do you want?

We already have a lot of competition for 2020 spots, this draft was always going to be about developing players for the mid term

Remove this Banner Ad

Back