List Mgmt. All Trades and Draft Part 2- Draft edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tomorro - been a long day

If possible, could you shed some light on the aborted pick swap with Brisbane. Looked like we were very close to trading up to pick 38 after Essendon bid on one of their academy prospects that they matched but ultimately they dealt with Sydney instead

Did we pull out because we didn’t like what they were proposing or did Sydney trump us with a better deal at the last minute?

I suspect that Brisbane wanted Geelongs future 3rd in return for an upgrade of 49 to 38 and we weren’t happy with that so they approached Sydney

Was surprised / not surprised we went a ruck and defender when needing mids for the future. These boys look class and im happy theyre on the list. For mids the coaches must be pretty happy with oneill and ainsworths development, and maybe duggan is ready to step up if required... he looked pretty good there in his first few games way back when. Also cole and oscar and hammer and ahchee and even nelson could run through if needed

Was surprised / not surprised we went a ruck and defender when needing mids for the future. These boys look class and im happy theyre on the list. For mids the coaches must be pretty happy with oneill and ainsworths development, and maybe duggan is ready to step up if required... he looked pretty good there in his first few games way back when. Also cole and oscar and hammer and ahchee and even nelson could run through if needed
I would say we need tall mobile rucks (not 198 dwarfs) and fast defenders with a great kick in the future, if you look at outr list and game plan. With what we had we selected very well for the future knowing next season is reasonably well set for a premiership. Mids at 50-60 were not going to get a game.

OK with the guys we picked but think we erred in passing on our later picks. Seems we've valued the flexibility of putting more guys on rookie list more than the downside risk of missing guys still available e.g. Garcia.

Also, it's bullshit that you can trade when facing a bid for an academy player. You already have a theoretical lock on the talent plus get them at a points discount; you don't need further favours. It was a farce when Brisbane were given 10 minutes last night to get out of the pickle from Essendon bidding super early on one of their guys at 37, when Bris had 38.

Also, it's bullshit that you can trade when facing a bid for an academy player. You already have a theoretical lock on the talent plus get them at a points discount; you don't need further favours. It was a farce when Brisbane were given 10 minutes last night to get out of the pickle from Essendon bidding super early on one of their guys at 37, when Bris had 38.
The whole thing seems like such a bloated mess now. I wasn’t watching it but trying to follow on the afl.com tracker, and it was impossible to know what the hell was happening

Other than getting lucky there are 3 ways to get quality midfielders. Have a really bad year to get an early draft pick or give up a really good player to get an early draft pick or give up multiple picks like we did for Kelly. Only the third option guarantees you get a gun, the first two are speculative. I am looking forward to watching TK go to work for us next year.
You could say the same about any position? Generally players taken higher are rated higher therefore are thought to have a better chance of making it.freo took young,not Johnson in the top ten because hes got a better chance of making it.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Very quickly off the top of my head I can think of a number of quality mids who came with late picks.....
Lachie Neale
Worpel
Priddis a rookie
Zorko a rookie
Rockliff a rookie
Barlow a rookie
Matthew Boyd a rookie
Kirk a rookie
K.Simpson
Tom Phillips

Or thereabouts. I'm sure there are others too

A bloke called Marlion Picket went pretty cheap last year as well......

I agree with them but consider those to be lucky. IMO it is very hit and miss with mids outside the top 10 and the list of misses would be much longer.

You could say the same about any position? Generally players taken higher are rated higher therefore are thought to have a better chance of making it.freo took young,not Johnson in the top ten because hes got a better chance of making it.

Agreed, my point was that we rarely get an early draft pick so using a bunch of picks on Kelly was expensive but the only sure way of getting that elite midfielder we need.

Agreed, my point was that we rarely get an early draft pick so using a bunch of picks on Kelly was expensive but the only sure way of getting that elite midfielder we need.
I reckon we still have to try tho.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

H
But if one of our best 6-7 mids goes down over the next 2-3 years, who've we got to come in? Ainsworth/Brayshaw/Ah Chee/O'Neill maybe in a year or so. That's pretty poor depth I think.
And in 2-3 yrs time when Redden and Hutchings especially, and Shuey maybe, are gone or on the wane big time, who do we replace with as a best 22 mid. None of Ainsworth/Ah Chee/Brayshaw would you want as best 22. O'Neill an unknown, but he's got a very long way to go.
Yet in the backline, outside our best 7 (Gov Barrass Shep Hurn Jetta Duggan and say Schoey) we've still got Cole, Watson and Nelson - who have all shown they're adept, plus Rotham who deserves a run at it, plus Allen and Brander who both are capable of being swung back (and Brander may need to go back to get a chance to cut it at AFL), plus even Edwards who people are talking up.
So why draft another HBF!?!?
I've had it up to here with these recruiters/list managers, after drafting flankers for years hoping they'd be mids, then foregoing the opportunity to take Kelly at a cheaper price only to pay a King's Ransom for him later.
Yes this is why I love this time of year, straight up melts!!!

you the real MVP

This year and next years draft picks being so bad will affect us in a few years but I'm hoping we are switching over to the "Poach them Back" mode instead. So sick of our best talent bleeding over east.

Both our boys highlights show they have got the skills if they can get the consistency required.

Johnson's dash and sure kicking looked promising. I'm just not sure if running those subtle angles will be sufficient to keep him out of harms way at the next level where players, generally, have a lot more toe.

The big fellas ruck work looked solid and he looks like he knows how to work into space to get some easy marks. Anyone know how his defensive side is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back