Analysis General Player Discussion Thread (formerly 'breakout year' thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 11, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yes he seemed to thrive over the last part of last year.
Hope to see Durds get another crack at Kennedy next year, he looked absolutely filthy after losing one or two contests and having Taz switch onto him.

For the OP, im looking into the crystal ball and I see Ahern pushing his way into the side, LDU taking the next step and Turner getting his game back on track

This thread really illustrating that we’ve got a shitload of upside on our list.

Yes. At one point I had about 5 or 6 names that could go in this thread.

I didn't mention LDU but I think he will have a strong second half of next year.

northbergs

All Australian
Dec 24, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think this will finally be the year that the football world is shocked by the quality and strength of our list.

Plenty of upside in these under performers who I believe will go to the next level under Rhyce:

Ahern
Wood
LDU
Garner

I also expect these youngsters to emerge as best 22 contenders at various points during the season:

Scott
Crocker
Murphy

Zurhaar, Simpkin, Larkey and Thomas all gathered attention for their performances last year, with Thomas being the one I feel will jump out the most.

Just hope that for Larkey, Zurhaar and Simpkin they can build consistency of effort to support the obvious talent demonstrated in patches by each of them last year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kangaroo Cat

Club Legend
Jun 2, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
NM stock market
Larkey Buy
Scott Buy
McDonald Sell
JMac Sell
Durdin Buy
Turner Buy
Hayden Buy
Thomas Buy every possible share. sell house if need too

Crushing hard on Perez too
I mostly agree except for McDonald, i thought he was on a good upward trend before his injury and I think he has some stuff to prove

Feb 26, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Crazy to say but I actually see JZ free of Scott’s reign taking ownership of the team more and imposing himself. His first pre season in 5 years surgery free. He can be an All Australian if he improves those set shot misses.

Crazy to say but I actually see JZ free of Scott’s reign taking ownership of the team more and imposing himself. His first pre season in 5 years surgery free. He can be an All Australian if he improves those set shot misses.
If he'd kicked straight in 2018 he would have been AA I reckon. People would be comparing De Goey to him and we'd have played finals. (So we'd still have Scott coaching.)
If he walks his talk and improves his kicking and fitness the way someone who wanted to win (not make up numbers,) would he'll be a great player for us.
The will call it a resurgence or say he's finally reached his potential.

Kangas_11

Club Legend
Nov 14, 2013
Toronto
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Colts, Raptors, Milan, FU Crabs
Maj, Wood and Scott for me.

I would absolutely love for Shaw to swing Wood down back on to a hbf. Simplify the game for him like we did for Ahern and watch him flourish.

FB: Marley / Tarrant / Pittard
HB: Ahern / Daw / Wood

That's an extremely explosive backline and I reckon Rhyce would love the idea of 5x potential attacking options on the field at once. Would keep opposition forwards on their toes all game.

I also firmly believe if Bailey gets a good run at it this year he will lock up the wing spot opposite Polec. Lots to be excited about next season.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hall: big disappointment last year but mainly due to off field stuff. Has got all that sorted now and Shaw has said he wants him to play as a genuine mid rotating across half forward. If he can get his confidence back he can have a similar impact to Higgins with his run and carry out of the midfield.

Ahern: been told he tested really well with his 2km time trial and Yo-Yo. Spent heaps of time at the club in the off season doing extra weight sessions. Shaw loves his kicking and vision so I get the feeling he’ll back him in.

LDU: Despite having a shoulder deco he has come back in ripping nick. Looks a bit bigger through the back and hips, taken his running game to another level. It’s just a mental game now with LDU, if Shaw can get him to believe he is a gun then look out.

Back