List Mgmt. Carlton's 2019 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I will say that the AFL allowing that Jeremy Sharp trade to go through as is makes an absolute mockery of the draft. Practically the one pick in the draft that is locked in regardless of what happens for a mid-second round pick this year?

It's the type of trade that I feel arbitration was made for. 16 other AFL clubs have a right to be fuming at the disgrace of the Suns rescue package.

It’s all ok, just as long Carlton weren’t able to access any similar compensation package.

I wonder if the GC list managers will be held accountable by the media and their fans after some of the most mind boggling and downright stupid decisions made this trade/draft period.

Probably not as the AFL gave them every handout possible and wouldn’t want to ruin the narrative that they might improve slightly in 3-4 years if these kids don’t go running home the first chance they get. For Gold Coasts sake, they would hope the AFL open their chequebook again like they did for Coniglio, King and Lukosius.

Just got a text from my Geelong Falcons source. Most Teams were very active at the start of Round 2, but the prices were too high for us. He finished with two gems. 1. You turned 4 into a cache of assets, and 2. Lucky SOB’s for getting Martin for nothing. Big winners in the eyes of others.

I’d really love the club to give Sam Fisher a shot as a rookie. Don’t histime, deserves a chance.

I think the bidding was great. Overdue really, Melbourne should have bitten on Green at 3.

The trade down was smart, and clearly something that had been on the cards for a while. Whoever we were excited about at 9 must have been gone.

Kemp is great at 17. Take the sliding top talent. Risk, sure, but look at the lad. He LOOKS like a star. Worth the go, for sure.

Only thing I’d do different is when you take the “risk” with 17, you take the “sure thing” at 20. Dunno anything about Philp, but feels a reach. Whatever Stevenson’s shortcomings may be, there’s a strong case for take the player for what he can do, not avoid him for what he cannot.

Anyway. It’s all done now. Reckon we played it pretty well. Probably wasn’t plan A coming in, but looked like a well considered plan B.

you will him in here.
looks like a massive upgrade on Deluca.
Weird, but hmmn

TerryWallet The Smoking Gun Arr0w LemmingMaster as our avid U18 watchers I’m really interested in your post draft thoughts (if you don’t mind) on the Philp selection/Robertson non-selection at that pick.

Personally I would have taken Robertson 10/10 times (plus a few others) over Philp, but this is where the pro’s earn their money and you have to trust your draft board.

That speed of Philp really is something though, cant wait to see him in a professional program.

TerryWallet The Smoking Gun Arr0w LemmingMaster as our avid U18 watchers I’m really interested in your post draft thoughts (if you don’t mind) on the Philp selection/Robertson non-selection at that pick.

Personally I would have taken Robertson 10/10 times (plus a few others) over Philp, but this is where the pro’s earn their money and you have to trust your draft board.

That speed of Philp really is something though, cant wait to see him in a professional program.

There were a good handful of players I would have taken ahead of Philp, namely Rivers, Robertson, Taylor, O'Neill, even Gould

Although at least it was a player with a point of difference, ball winner with speed who has reasonably high ceiling

There were a good handful of players I would have taken ahead of Philp, namely Rivers, Robertson, Taylor, O'Neill, even Gould

Although at least it was a player with a point of difference, ball winner with speed who has reasonably high ceiling

Yeah I agree, not my preference but no issue as they seem to have had a good eye at this 20-30 point in the draft since I started following in 2015 when SOS and co came on board and we started rebuilding.

Not sure if you’re the same, but it has inadvertently resulted in me having a small interest in other games/clubs as I watch my preferences develop alongside who we actually picked....must say our team has done pretty well but I unexpectedly haven’t been a total bust
  • 2015 we selected Cuningham - I liked Tucker, Bonner, Balic and Matheson (when he slid)
  • 2016 we selected Fish - I liked him too but behind Drew and Atley
  • 2017 we selected TDK - I liked Constable and Worpel
  • 2018 N/A as we had nothing in that range
  • 2019 we go Philp - I liked Robertson, Williams, Rivers
Hope my fellow Taswegian O’Neill gets a rookie gig, would be harsh to make dual AA and miss out altogether.

Any chance we might actually rookie an X factor small fwd...at least ONE on the list outside of Eddie would be nice

Anyways...another year almost over, thanks for posting all your draft thoughts this year, I really appreciate it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hoping we draft a few smalls in Lowson and co in the rookie draft surprised we didn't nab one yet

I will say that the AFL allowing that Jeremy Sharp trade to go through as is makes an absolute mockery of the draft. Practically the one pick in the draft that is locked in regardless of what happens for a mid-second round pick this year?

It's the type of trade that I feel arbitration was made for. 16 other AFL clubs have a right to be fuming at the disgrace of the Suns rescue package.

Yep the Suns basically traded Martin 17 & 22 for 11 with us and then 27 for a mid first round pick with the Cats, if anyone else did those deals the media would crucify them but the Suns have so many concessions (not having to bid on their academy players is massive) that they can afford to light their cigars with $100 bills.

Blaine Boekhorst has nominated himself for the draft.... :sick:
So has DVR :O Lobbe / Schu / Deluca / JGM also have apparently, can't see any of them getting another gig, possibly Deluca?

Come on people, it was a good start with Kemp but it turned a bit scant and whimsical from then on, too much thinly spread icing and not enough cake. We've been there before (2017).
We have a need for class and outside run. We got some who are 18 year old kids. Can't expect much to begin with but they have an opportunity.
Jack Martin will add to the class.
We did just fine, now it's up to the kids to take advantage of the opportunity they will be afforded. Let's not kill them before they have a chance to show their stuff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back