2019 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah seemed stupid. Heaps of risk in that trade for no guaranteed gain. Shouldn’t trade unless it’s for a clear benefit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's the Saints 2nd round pick that we have got not the Pies so we should expect to improve at least 5 places, possibly up to 10. Not bad for dropping 1 spot in this years order for a player we weren't going to take.

It's the Saints 2nd round pick that we have got not the Pies so we should expect to improve at least 5 places, possibly up to 10. Not bad for dropping 1 spot in this years order for a player we weren't going to take.

SOS would be knighted by the media if he pulled that off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We are very unlikely to draft another player like Dusty. Especially with finishing high on the ladder and lack of early draft picks as a result. What the club needs to do as far as replacing Dusty when he retires in the future is to do via Free Agency or trade.

Regardless I think Dusty has another 3-4 years before his form drops noticably and about 5-6 before he retires.

Legitimately thing Dusty will play at this level until 30-31 until his form begins to drop (As you said)
But injuries aside, would have 8 years or so left at the top. Ablett is playing at 36, although a shadow of his former self. I don’t see why Dusty couldn’t be playing at a similar age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just realised its the rookie draft today.

Who will be a 2020 premiership player you ask? Only Matty Clarke and his team know at this stage.

what about poor SOS, won’t be able to trade down his rookie pick to be just before us. Going to have to rely on his intelligence and research of his recruiters.

and the only thing that one recruiter was researching at U18 was the canteen menu.

Pretty clear we really wanted Martyn so bid on Cumberland expecting Brisbane to match. Meaning they wouldn’t have the points to match our bid for Martyn. U could see Thursfield move Cumberlands magnet up when Brissy didn’t match. Probably cost us Bianco so we did the trade then. A pretty major stuff up. Hope they learn a lesson from it.
Didn't cost us Bianco.If we wanted Bianco we wouldn't have traded with Pies or obviously taken him with the first of our 3 picks.

Geelong have 3 first round picks now. They now have pick 11 (Gold Coast compo), their first, and West Coast first.

They're in pole position.

Well they need to be because this is the last roll of the dice with their current, aged list. After 2020, they're sliding back big time. They might even slide in 2020 itself. They've got a fair bit of rebuilding to do after 2020.

Because we needed that for Ralphsmith
Pretty clear that we didn't rate Bianco as high as we rated Cumberland Martyn & Ralphsmith or we would have taken him before all 3 of them when our first pick of the trio rolled around.

I tell you what Stack, Ross, RCD, Balta, Graham, CCJ and others of that vintage will not be happy. Instead of picking players more ready made like Thayen we went the speculative route for some that are 3-4 years away or not at all.

On top of that Ross and RCD has to compete with the likes of Dow, Cumberland and Marytn for similar spots in the middle at times.

We do not have a ready made Thayen to assist in the forward line without Townsend if we get into a few injuries and so forth either which might be the difference in a final.

I just do not understand the rationale, we have risks and weakness that have not been addressed.

Watching them play I get one of Cumberland and Martyn but not both.

What if we get a significant injury to JR or Martin regarding forward line effectiveness?
How are they 3-4 years away. Nyuon is obviously a project player, but he already a good size with great athleticism, so he may come on quicker than expected. If for example he took Astbury's roll down the back in the future, he is the right size and evidently reads the ball well in the air, much quicker and could be the negating type that Astbury is. Sure the class won't be there, but at the very least you have a player that could play on the Mason Cox monster forwards.

Dow will take a year or two, but none of our mids are going anywhere in a hurry. The other two look like strong bodied players so not that far away physically. Cumberland looks like a half back winger so perhaps destined for Houli's spot in a year or two and Martyn looks class.

It is a bit of a worry that we wanted two players who have been under the noses of Brisbane all this time and they said no to both lol They obviously dont rate them that high. yikes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given both clubs should finish high up the ladder, my point stands.
We slid down a spot today and could well slide down a spot or two next year.
Of course we could slide up a spot as well, but i just don't see any point in that trade at all.
Seems very odd.Might be a case of goodwill too the bank.
Next year we may call in that goodwill favor with Baxter & MJR.(Pies late picks)

It is a bit of a worry that we wanted two players who have been under the noses of Brisbane all this time and they said no to both lol They obviously dont rate them that high. yikes
I think the Lions got ****ed up the date by Dodoro bidding early.

Didn't cost us Bianco.If we wanted Bianco we wouldn't have traded with Pies or obviously taken him with the first of our 3 picks.

Yeh your probably right, however, I stand by the fact we were caught off guard when Brissy didn't match. Which means we were worried they would then match for Martyn or because we had another player we wanted for those 3 picks.

I think the Lions got f’ed up the date by Dodoro bidding early.

I just worked out that Brissy would have been in a points deficit of ~200 points if they matched the bids for Cumberland or Martyn. For example if they had pick 20 next year that would drop to 25.

Makes sense why they didn't match now.

The round 2 pick we got from the Pies is the Saints round 2 pick for 2020 as the Pies had traded their pick to Brisbane already.
Just shows how cheap the draft is run.
They didn't give out that info.Just put up 2020 rnd 2.

:tearsofjoy:

Just spent the last 30 minutes reading the past 15-20 pages of this thread, sadly won't get that time back.

Blimey there are some Tom Browne impersonators with tarot cards in this thread, thinking they know who will cut it and who won't.

Kids are for the future, let them develop. They can't all be your Bellis and Kmac whipping boys.......

Trust the club, they know well more than us......

:tearsofjoy:

Just spent the last 30 minutes reading the past 15-20 pages of this thread, sadly won't get that time back.

Blimey there are some Tom Browne impersonators with tarot cards in this thread, thinking they know who will cut it and who won't.

Kids are for the future, let them develop. They can't all be your Bellis and Kmac whipping boys.......

Trust the club, they know well more than us......
We picked 5 future A Graders if we are doing real talk and not trolling.

Yeh your probably right, however, I stand by the fact we were caught off guard when Brissy didn't match. Which means we were worried they would then match for Martyn or because we had another player we wanted for those 3 picks.
We clearly rated them at that spot in the draft as we wouldn't risk the Lions not matching. Richmond aren't like Carlton who bid on Henry & Green with their first pick to simply buy time to orchestrate a trade down. We bid on players because that is where we rank them and we're fully prepared to take them if their clubs don't match.

We are very unlikely to draft another player like Dusty. Especially with finishing high on the ladder and lack of early draft picks as a result. What the club needs to do as far as replacing Dusty when he retires in the future is to do via Free Agency or trade.

Regardless I think Dusty has another 3-4 years before his form drops noticably and about 5-6 before he retires.

You could have the first 5 picks in the next 10 drafts and you still won’t find another Dusty.
Just enjoy Tigers. There will ever only be one and he's here and now.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back