Game Day 2019 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope it's those two. Although, the selection of Gould might have decided Maibaums fate.
Gould and Maibaum are very different players. Maibaum is a one-on-one kind of defender, taking an opponents key position player. Gould plays a more intercepting role.

What’s our senior list at now? 37?
38 according to AFL.com.au, my research suggests 37. I think we've upgraded someone to get to 38 but have no idea who it is (Bell?)

Probably a solid draft by the Swans. From a value perspective it's our first that concerns me the most.
The others look good to great value at their draft positions.
I think we could have dropped down and made a pretty good draft incredible by taking GC's two pics at 15 and 20.
If we'd managed Cooper Stephens/Schoe, Sharp, Gould, Taylor and Warner - could have been an all time draft haul.

Sharp and Dylan Stephens seem to have a similar role, with Sharp's bigger body perhaps ready to impact a bit earlier. Looking at their highlights on afl website Sharp looks more composed in traffic and stronger.
Anyone know enough of the two players to rate DS this much higher than Sharp?

I hope it's those two. Although, the selection of Gould might have decided Maibaums fate.
Defensive depth is still a little thin IMO. For talls it's Aliir & Rampe as the only solid best 22s while Brand & Melican are fighting for a spot. Gould shouldn't be expected to play next season so Maibaum would be a good selection but you're right. A strong chance he wont get selected now that a similar player has been drafted

Didn't know much about our draft picks before (apart from Gould) but they all sound like the right picks. From all reports, they're all talented players but most have question marks around the physical powers in one capacity or another. Would back our club to fix those aspects - could all be very good pickups

Defensive depth is still a little thin IMO. For talls it's Aliir & Rampe as the only solid best 22s while Brand & Melican are fighting for a spot. Gould shouldn't be expected to play next season so Maibaum would be a good selection but you're right. A strong chance he wont get selected now that a similar player has been drafted

I'm expecting Gould to play a lot next year. Though I guess with Rampe and Mills in his obvious positions it's a big ask for him to break into the team I guess.

I'm expecting Gould to play a lot next year. Though I guess with Rampe and Mills in his obvious positions it's a big ask for him to break into the team I guess.
He probably can and will play a lot next year but no draftee should be expected to play the following season after they are drafted. It's a huge jump from junior footy to AFL level. Gould has played a bit in the SANFL which is great but all drafted kids are long term prospects in the end.

True....I am hoping my man Jackson Davies snares a rookie spot......Smokey who I think he adds to the defensive stocks with his intercept marking, courage and leadership as well as his distribution to get the ball moving...and a year impressing in the NEAFL should see him right.

Probably a solid draft by the Swans. From a value perspective it's our first that concerns me the most.
The others look good to great value at their draft positions.
I think we could have dropped down and made a pretty good draft incredible by taking GC's two pics at 15 and 20.
If we'd managed Cooper Stephens/Schoe, Sharp, Gould, Taylor and Warner - could have been an all time draft haul.

Sharp and Dylan Stephens seem to have a similar role, with Sharp's bigger body perhaps ready to impact a bit earlier. Looking at their highlights on afl website Sharp looks more composed in traffic and stronger.
Anyone know enough of the two players to rate DS this much higher than Sharp?

D Stephen's body ( slight frame) seems to bother a number of posters.
However, his best BOG game in carnival he played inside mid winning contested possessions against the so called bull Tom Green Allies. Others have posted the stats including tackles. He was playing SANFL against men , very well.

So, he has a huge (greater potential development ) upside. He knows he has body development to do quote "I'm a late bloomer". There is no rush but he has the speed run and carry and ability to kick goals from a wing. Reminds me of a young Keith Greig or Barry Robran. (showing my age)

Get excited. Long way to go yet. The pressure even to get into the best 22 next year is astounding. Most spots have several competing options. Even so I reckon Stephens will debut at some stage next year,

Gould is a lock potential round one, if they want to use Mills elsewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Before the draft: "It is a thin draft this year, not as much talent"

After the draft: "Amazing sliders, how did those players fall so far, everyone is a future star"

We only have picks 4 and 19 in the rookie draft.

That would indicate no player has been promoted and that we weren't taking any academy players as our Cat B slots are full

3 gun interception players across hb is good

look at eagles defence

Given the way we set up behind the play under Horse, and of course given the midfield has not covered itself in glory lately leaving a lot of work to do down back, 3 intercept players that use it well will be a boon.

Given the way we set up behind the play under Horse, and of course given the midfield has not covered itself in glory lately leaving a lot of work to do down back, 3 intercept players that use it well will be a boon.

It is amazing how often our midfield gets pantsed by midfields that are rated considerably worse. It puts a lot of pressure on our defenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back