Past #3 Dylan Stephens

Remove this Banner Ad

12SyGW20DC0774.JPG

Dylan Stephens
The Sydney Swans used their first pick five since Jarrad McVeigh in 2002 to lock in a talented midfielder from South Australian club Norwood at the 2019 AFL Draft. Dylan Stephens is a prolific ball-winner and creative user of the footy by hand and foot. He played predominantly on a wing in the early matches of the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships before starring on the inside in the final match, gathering 33 disposals in a best-on-ground performance. A penetrating left-footer, he averaged 23.8 disposals and 4.8 tackles across the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships and was rewarded with All Australian honours. He also played some excellent football at senior level with Norwood, averaging 18.2 disposals and 4.6 tackles in 12 matches. Stephens enjoyed a breakout season for the Bloods in 2020 with a memorable AFL debut in Round 6 against Richmond alongside fellow debutant, Chad Warner. Stephens finished the campaign with eight appearances, averaging 12.5 disposals and 3.4 marks per game, while also kicking two goals.

Dylan Stephens
DOB: 08 January 2001
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #5, 2019 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Red Cliffs (Vic)/Walkerville (SA)/St Peter's College (SA)/Norwood (SANFL)

But it was the work rate of the ‘Josh Kelly clone’ that impressed Dixon the most.

“His work rate is superb. His work rate both ways to defend and assist with what is happening up the field (is outstanding),” he said.

The left footer ended with a game-high 33 disposals and nine clearances to push his chances for All-Australian selection.

“He’s dominated and (his) efficiency is a highlight,” Hawthorn great Ben Dixon said at half time on Fox Footy, with Stephens racking up 17 disposals at 70 per cent.

“He’s got that beautiful little left foot,” Leigh Montagna added.

“He continues to run hard all day, accumulate the footy and kick on both feet, (he’s) just a clever user who can find the footy.”

Here's another interview from earlier this year, seems like a great lad with his head screwed on properly

Ps. that LJ kid should be the only person allowed to interview AFL players ever at any time

Great interview. I like that he's a skinny kid who can play at senior level against men. Fear of being crunched is a great teacher.

Even if he doesn't, a NEAFL apprenticeship would not be such a bad thing for Stephens. His fellow South Australians Hewett and Dawson had decent stints in the NEAFL before getting regular senior games, and when they eventually did they looked comfortable at the level. On the other hand my one qualm with the NEAFL is that I'm not sure it helps outside players with their development, if only because it's so easy for them to dominate at that level and then they struggle to adapt when they don't have the time and space at the highest level. See: Stoddart, McInerney, Hiscox
This is so annoying given he's from Red Cliffs in Victoria. *sigh*

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh. Doing a Commerce degree at Uni.

You‘ve come to the right City, kiddo. And the right team. We got contacts:cool:

Commerce degress are utterly pointless.

But welcome to Sydney!

That's ok... you go for Sydney so you are a NSW in my eyes too then Caesar. ;)

Australia has only 1 state, and the rest of you are just annexed territories we deign with a sense of false autonomy, with vassal rulers.

Commerce degress are utterly pointless.

But welcome to Sydney!
Ted Richards may disagree

While playing for the Swans, Richards completed a Bachelor of Commerce at the University of NSW and a Master of Applied Finance at Kaplan University, completing internships with Citigroup and Airlie Funds Management alongside stockpicker John Sevior. After retiring from AFL football, he joined automated investment company Six Park as Director of Business Development. Via his podcast "The Richards Report"[, Ted regularly discusses finance and investing themes with notable Australian influencers.
He credits his interest in finance to the book “One Up On Wall Street” by Peter Lynch, which he received as a gift from his father at age 17.

Last edited:

While playing for the Swans, Richards completed a Bachelor of Commerce at the University of NSW and a Master of Applied Finance at Kaplan University, completing internships with Citigroup and Airlie Funds Management alongside stockpicker John Sevior. After retiring from AFL football, he joined automated investment company Six Park as Director of Business Development. Via his podcast "The Richards Report"[, Ted regularly discusses finance and investing themes with notable Australian influencers.
He credits his interest in finance to the book “One Up On Wall Street” by Peter Lynch, which he received as a gift from his father at age 17.

Exactly. Contacts:D

Business Development is....sales.

Don't need a high school education for that ,let alone for an automated investment company that relies on simulations / algorithms for doing trades.

Josh Kelly when drafted 182cm 73kg.
Stephens listed as 183cm 69kg (but other reports of up to 73kg as well).

Stephens has been referred to as a “Josh Kelly clone”.

He played 18 games in 2014 for the Giants.

See no reason why Stephens won’t play a fair bit of senior footy in 2020.

Even if he doesn't, a NEAFL apprenticeship would not be such a bad thing for Stephens. His fellow South Australians Hewett and Dawson had decent stints in the NEAFL before getting regular senior games, and when they eventually did they looked comfortable at the level. On the other hand my one qualm with the NEAFL is that I'm not sure it helps outside players with their development, if only because it's so easy for them to dominate at that level and then they struggle to adapt when they don't have the time and space at the highest level. See: Stoddart, McInerney, Hiscox
Jack Hiscox simply was not good enough. McInnerney and Stoddart will both be OK. Yes they get far too much time at that level due to there not being too many that can run them down. Hopefully they can all put together some great senior performances.

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

Would tear the private schools comp apart.
I reckon Dylan would have been pick in mid teens most other years.
I certainly don't see him having the impact of last years 5,6 or 7 in Rozee, King and Smith at Dogs.
And I sure as sheet don't hold much store in looking good in the SANFL.
It'll be up to his dedication and development I guess - and he seems to have the qualities to give that a crack.
Wishing him well.
Really hope he succeeds.
Why don't you hold much value in SANFL? No different to VFL. In fact the standard is quite high.

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back