Draft Review 2019 - Revisit the 2019 AFL Draft

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
If the Blues have a bid player in the future, Fremantle, Gold Coast and Giants won’t play nice.

Adelaide, and North Melbourne already bid on players.

I still think it was totally unnecessary and pointless to bid on a player that won’t going to get.

You're really not comprehending how the bidding system works.

SOSforPM

All Australian
Oct 20, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
The word is incorrect... Interesting that you seem to think Carlton base there recruiting on who they think Richmond will pick..if that were true and I'm absolutely sure it isn't it would indicate that they have no faith in there own abilities as recruiters

Come on mate it’s pretty obvious Richmond had some interest. It be Naive to think otherwise.

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Name the picks SOS has burnt on these types of players.

Jon ORourke (too small, constantly injured)
Pat McKenna (cricketer recruited from country leagues, not good enough, no exposed form against top players)
Liam Sumner (too short and small in his draft year)
Patrick Dow (too small to play inside mid)

Ill leave out Pickett because he is not a centre square mid but same story, too small.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Jon ORourke (too small, constantly injured)
Pat McKenna (cricketer recruited from country leagues, not good enough, no exposed form against top players)
Liam Sumner (too short and small in his draft year)
Patrick Dow (too small to play inside mid)

Ill leave out Pickett because he is not a centre square mid but same story, too small.

Comp is littered with good inside mids who aren't particularly big, and calling a 187cm Paddy Dow "too small to play inside mid" is laughable. Kid's still developing, he'll get there. Few kids can come straight in to that role at AFL level, takes time for their frame to develop properly.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Is there a thread somewhere discussing GC trading next year's pick 11? Can't believe that was allowed. Their approach since the AFL charity leaves a lot of questions.

The real question is why they were allowed to package it up with a pick in the 60s and only get Pick 27 back.

Relative strength of each draft and yada yada yada - it still flies in the face of the draft index the AFL put together. They've effectively allowed the Suns to throw away the equivalent of Pick 25.

If that's "OK", then I'm not sure why there's any need for an AFL official to be assessing and ratifying trades, just let the clubs do what they want.

Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
images

Ok boomer

irish

Premiership Player
Sep 20, 2002
hobart
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NHFC demons & SH/SB sharks
so did the tigers out smart themselves ? bidding on lions academy boys to get more negotiating time and thinking the lions would match ?

interesting approach from the tigers

Drewie11

Premium Platinum
Oct 15, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Carlton wanted one of Stephens or Young.

The disagreement came about as SOS thought it was 9 + next years 2nd for 6, while Reid thought it was 9 + next years first. Adelaide wanted something more than a 2nd round next year as security, because of the chance Freo would do the deal with Geelong allowing them to move up to get McAsey before what would now be the Crows pick at 9.

I hadn’t seen that article. Hefty price to pay for Carlton to shift up 3 spots. Can understand why the deal didn’t get done

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
There was talk they were after DeKoning who came off the board just after you traded up which was unfortunate. Not sure Philp was Richmond’s target.

The smart move would have been to hold the start of second round pick, take the offer from Brisbane to trade down one spot and take the additional second rounder and Philp at that spot.

Also would’ve been a smart move.

Happy to back them in if they like the kid. The most explosive player available it seems. A theme with our picks.

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
so did the tigers out smart themselves ? bidding on lions academy boys to get more negotiating time and thinking the lions would match ?

interesting approach from the tigers
Yes because after the lions passed on the first academy pick we thought we’d bid again thinking for sure they will match this time... for a recruiting team that had 7 players in a flag winning team picked no lower than 67 they really have no idea....

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Why do people get pissed off with other clubs placing bids on their academy players?

It's strange, you don't have to match, just trust your recruitment team to make the decision, I have no problem with the Bombers bidding on Keidean Coleman or the Tigers making back to back bids on Noah Cumberland and Will Martyn. We decided Coleman was the only one worth matching, we've decided not to match in the past and it hasn't come back to bite us..... yet, eg. Declan Watson, Corey Wagner, Mabior Chol(maybe still time for him), Wylie Buzza.
I'm just annoyed we didn't get to use pick 38 before the bid. I don't understand why Freo fans are annoyed, they got to use both their first round picks.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
In all honesty, Essendon will be the massive losers in all of this, if as expected Joe Daniher leaves as a FA at the end of the year. Part of their recruiting strategy seems to have been finding a KPF replacement for JD, bur they could have added Young and Flanders (hypothetically) if they traded JD to Sydney.

Although part of me has a suspicion that Dodoro was happy to do that deal, but was overruled by the Essendon board (I just have a feeling that is what actually happened, so I think Dodo has probably been thrown under the bus in this instance)

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
If the Blues have a bid player in the future, Fremantle, Gold Coast and Giants won’t play nice.

Adelaide, and North Melbourne already bid on players.

I still think it was totally unnecessary and pointless to bid on a player that won’t going to get.

When do you think was a reasonable time to bid on Henry? Any club.

Before 7/8 was too early, anywhere after was seen about right. That’s why you set up your picks that way.

Dragonfire

Senior List
Oct 5, 2004
Hell
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tigers
Come on mate it’s pretty obvious Richmond had some interest. It be Naive to think otherwise.

I can confirm that Richmond had interest in Philp but only for one of our second round picks.

They were never going to take him at 21. Dow was rated significantly higher than Philp.

I can also confirm that we were about to trade our pick last year when SOS jumped ahead. We thought SOS had traded in to get Collier-Dawkins. When he took Stocker we held our pick and grabbed RCD.

How do I know this? I attended the draft preview night that the club holds for exec members

If you don't believe me check who I tipped for some of our picks under the 'Who do you want' thread

Last edited:

SOSforPM

All Australian
Oct 20, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I can confirm that Richmond had interest in Philp but only for one of our second round picks.

They were never going to take him at 21. Dow was rated significantly higher than Philp.

I can also confirm that we were about to trade our pick last year when SOS jumped ahead. We thought SOS had traded in to get Collier-Dawkins. When he took Stocker we held our pick and grabbed RCD.

How do I know this? I attended the draft preview night that the club holds for exec members

SOS is a dud and that's why your club has sacked him

In what world would a club hold a predraft meeting for exec members that details exactly what they plan to do?

Especially with a pick as far out as 20 where so many variables can occur.

Back