Draft Review 2019 - Revisit the 2019 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

In what world would a club hold a predraft meeting for exec members that details exactly what they plan to do?

Especially with a pick as far out as 20 where so many variables can occur.

Giving away the draft strategy to a bunch of randoms seems like a pretty good idea.

In what world would a club hold a predraft meeting for exec members that details exactly what they plan to do?

Especially with a pick as far out as 20 where so many variables can occur.

Its for exec members only ~30 people and has been held every year for more than 10 years. They don't say who they'll draft just run through a few of the options around each pick. Philp was only an option for one of our 2nd rounders

The more I look at Will Days highlights and read up about him and reading a few recruiters thinking he has a big upside, the happier I am.

Finn also looks a ripper and just watched his highlights Vic V Allies and going head to head with Green while racking up 28 disposals and a heap of contested ball.

Freo and GWS and of course GCS with the picks they had could hardly fail.

If the Blues have a bid player in the future, Fremantle, Gold Coast and Giants won’t play nice.

Adelaide, and North Melbourne already bid on players.

I still think it was totally unnecessary and pointless to bid on a player that won’t going to get.

Which is fine and that's how it is meant to work as all zones and academy's are not equal. It's a way for clubs to make sure everyone gets a fair crack at all players including academy and father/sons.

The real question is why they were allowed to package it up with a pick in the 60s and only get Pick 27 back.

Relative strength of each draft and yada yada yada - it still flies in the face of the draft index the AFL put together. They've effectively allowed the Suns to throw away the equivalent of Pick 25.

If that's "OK", then I'm not sure why there's any need for an AFL official to be assessing and ratifying trades, just let the clubs do what they want.
I am glad the AFL are stupid enough to let that happen..... well this time anyway lol. next time(when it doesn't benefit Geelong ) i will rage

When do you think was a reasonable time to bid on Henry? Any club.

Before 7/8 was too early, anywhere after was seen about right. That’s why you set up your picks that way.

For starters, the bid should have come after Green.

Is there a single person that believes Green shouldn't have been bid in before Henry?

Even just for that reason to me it's apparent that SOS was being petty.

Freo and the Blues were after the same players in the draft. We traded to take them out of the picture and they tried to do the same to us. We were in direct competition and SOS had a bit of a sook imo when you missed you're real targets.

Sure. A Henry bid came when it did. Nothing wrong with that but why wasn't Green bid on first if it wasn't just a middle finger to Freo?

Is there a single person that believes Green shouldn't have been bid in before Henry?

Freo and the Blues were after the same players in the draft. We traded to take them out of the picture and they tried to do the same to us. We were in direct competition and SOS had a bit of a sook imo when you missed you're real targets.

Sure. A Henry bid came when it did. Nothing wrong with that but why wasn't Green bid on first if it wasn't just a middle finger to Freo?

Why didn’t Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide or Fremantle bid on Green? Maybe he just went where he was rated.

Green should of been bid on at 3 or 5 but guessing the AFL told teams not to wipe GWS out of next draft

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cause Carlton targeted quick players in this draft? Bids are made on the basis that the affiliated club may not necessarily match. It's why Melbourne didn't bid on Green at 3, because as much as it might have been a "suitable time", he wasn't a player they actually wanted on their list, at least not over Jackson.

If Carlton were picking one of Green or Henry, Henry was the preferred player. Green over Kemp. Both bids matched, so we traded down to still get Kemp but also pick up another late first.

Think you guys have missed the obvious here. Carlton placed those bids to stall for time to negotiate trades. They knew they wouldn't get the players and didn't really care - they just needed the extra time to get the best deal possible for themselves.

If the Blues have a bid player in the future, Fremantle, Gold Coast and Giants won’t play nice.

Maybe in a fantasy world where clubs are run by emotional fans, but these days AFL clubs are mostly professional.

This is one hell of an entertaining melt, over Henry being bid on before Green. How petty can you possibly get?

Lyon got the arse from Freo
Sos and Lyon are good mates and business partners
Sos places early bid on Freo NGA Henry ahead of touted top 3-5 prospect in Green

You do the maths

Green should of been bid on at 3 or 5 but guessing the AFL told teams not to wipe GWS out of next draft
Swans have consistently said they bid on the player they wanted and only that.

Based on your summation every team wanted Robertson to get to the Lions because surely he should have gone earlier As per everyones prediction.

Very happy with Carlton again this trade/draft period. Addressed major issue of leg speed, run and ball use. Depth is now probably as good as it has been in 20 plus years. Think we will still add someone like Lukas Webb to mature players Newnes Betts Pittonet & Martin plus a fit Docherty.

The only player we missed was Papley and ended up with Kemp & Philp anyway. Kemp will be a star.

With a fitter list and these additions I expect a much improved 2020 for the Blues and the Northern Blues.

Well done SOS & Co. :thumbsu:

My list means just as much.

with respect i dont think your opinion is as valuable as draft central

How's the SOS conspiracy theories on here... bloody hell.

is he getting sacked soon? or staying on now?

hard to get a straight answer reading the carlton board on the sos subject

I'm going to trust Michael Gleeson over a bunch of fan theories on here: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...ght-shenanigans-revealed-20191128-p53f59.html

tl;dr
  • Carlton and Adelaide have a verbal agreement to trade picks 6 and 9, Adelaide think their man McAsey will still be available at 9
  • Jusso Reid does Jusso Reid things
  • SOS switches to plan B, bids on Henry and Green because (a) both players are targets and (b) needs time to deal with GC
  • GC delighted to move up to snatch Flanders, smooths over loss of Martin for nothing
  • SOS gets Kemp at 17 instead of 9 and ultimately Philp at 20
Say what you will about who SOS drafts, but his ability to squeeze maximum value out of pick trades is A+.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back