Game Day 2019 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeka a good get for Hawthorn. Was talked about as a top three pick in the under 16s.
Happy to have Brady, we have quite a posse of speedsters. Maybe we can lobby to have the Grand Final sprint turned into a relay.

It is amazing how often our midfield gets pantsed by midfields that are rated considerably worse. It puts a lot of pressure on our defenders.
My boys earn every dollar and have saved our arse more often than they should have to
#defendersrule

Glad to have Maibaum back on the list.

Rowles looks a good kick and got a bit of toe. Plenty to work with.

We’ve taken Brady Rowles. Anyone in the loop?

Knightmare had him at 45 in the main draft

• 45. Carlton - Brady Rowles (VIC)
    Height, Weight:
    186cm/75kg
    Profile: One of this year's most explosive line-breakers. Rowles breaks games open with his run, with his speed with ball in hand as good as any in the pool.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brady Rowles. Under 12 possessions a game?
Academy must have very little faith in their process if Thorn, Parkes or Ellem don't deserve a crack, and a 72kg Vic kid does.

The theme for Swans brilliant recruiting this year is clearly related to:
Speed run and carry
Quality kicking skills

BUT most retention. Team mates and togetherness

Rowles is ex Mildura and likely played as a kid with D Stephens. Yet another potential mate to keep them all happy.
Whoever was the Mildura under 13/14 coach encouraged run and carry and taught them skills well ( I have hunch it might have been Richmond great D Weightman?)

My boys earn every dollar and have saved our arse more often than they should have to
#defendersrule
I have cringed and felt sorry for them over the last few years with the amount of work they have had to do.

The pressure on them has been immense.

Academy must have very little faith in their process if Thorn, Parkes or Ellem don't deserve a crack, and a 72kg Vic kid does.

There were no Cat B spaces available to take them. If they were good enough we either make space to take them or we take them last night. But today is down to best available not about making the academy players feel good

Believe we should always draft a local boy but in the end it always comes down to best available.

The truth is with the local kids we can still keep them at arms reach without actually drafting/rookie them. Should we feel they're on par with a kid from interstate it's better we take the interstate kid than the local

The theme for Swans brilliant recruiting this year is clearly related to:
Speed run and carry
Quality kicking skills

BUT most retention. Team mates and togetherness

Rowles is ex Mildura and likely played as a kid with D Stephens. Yet another potential mate to keep them all happy.
Whoever was the Mildura under 13/14 coach encouraged run and carry and taught them skills well ( I have hunch it might have been Richmond great D Weightman?)
Don't doubt that..
But how does the Academy justify a run and carry selection criteria at draft time and not push it there?
How do they explain to those boys who have been playing pretty good footy vs men and not boys, that they picked Rowles because he helps erradicate the go home factor.
Maybe it's time to look at the admin, selection and coaching at the Academy, the selection if the Allies and how the game plan is worked out?
No relation to any of those academy boys, but there is no go home factor to worry about with them.

I’m more curious about how we came to the conclusion that Rowles, who might be OK but only averaged 11 touched, was best available over say Bartholomeus who won was the best player in a state league this year; or Chirgwin who was actually starring for Sandringham alongside kids who were taken as high as the second round.

I get it, maybe they weren’t good enough in our eyes - but a midfielder who averaged only 11 touches in his draft year is? Kinda odd. Not knocking the kid, just don’t get the logic behind it. But he’s a Beatson rookie pick so he’ll probably be our next 250-game captain.

Believe we should always draft a local boy but in the end it always comes down to best available.

The truth is with the local kids we can still keep them at arms reach without actually drafting/rookie them. Should we feel they're on par with a kid from interstate it's better we take the interstate kid than the local
Yep, and how many NDS players get picked up?
They are used as a free hit.
Often played out of position and overlooked by most of the senior players who are playing for their livelihoods.

Before the draft: "It is a thin draft this year, not as much talent"

After the draft: "Amazing sliders, how did those players fall so far, everyone is a future star"
I think Beatson ended up saying that it was turning into a very even draft from late first round onwards. I know that wasn’t his original assessment but that seems to have changed later in the season

Don't doubt that..
But how does the Academy justify a run and carry selection criteria at draft time and not push it there?
How do they explain to those boys who have been playing pretty good footy vs men and not boys, that they picked Rowles because he helps erradicate the go home factor.
Maybe it's time to look at the admin, selection and coaching at the Academy, the selection if the Allies and how the game plan is worked out?
No relation to any of those academy boys, but there is no go home factor to worry about with them.

Good post. Answer I do not know! other than the locals can be observed easily and rookie again later.
Remember B Kirk had 3 goes before finally proving himself.

I was just intrigued that he was ex Mildura same age. Just offering possible reason.

Good on you for support of the academy lads :thumbsu: and disappointment. Some must miss out but they persist they still might make it.

Couple of notable trends this year:

- The swans seem to prefer South Australians and West Australians. No Vics in the main draft. Not sure if you can read anything into this, however I do know, being an ex SA person, that young south australians often love coming to sydney, and do not have the same expectations as vics.
- The swans love prince alfred college, saint peters and scotch college boys from Adelaide. 2 of the four came from these schools to complement hayward, hewett etc. As a princes old boy, great to see.
- the swans have steered well away from players with an injury question mark. Unless I have missed something they have selected players with clean injury records. This years list is looking very healthy, with few players with long term injuries. Hopefully we will have a year similar to brisbanes year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back