2019 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't believe that would be the case, but let's assume it was. Kudos to Ambrogio who was clearly leading the deal making. He was able to extract an excellent deal under pressured environment with significant time constraints. He got us the points, extracted perhaps a better future third and we still managed to secure Coleman and Prior with our last pick.
I wonder what Ambrogio was listening to last night. Hope it was the same tunes as this guy
83988C7C-0649-4645-8122-EDC0DC47B352.jpeg

I'm very glad to get a major talent like Robertson and to secure the academy prospect we rated the most highly.

My only concern is whether we would have taken Trent Rivers over Brock had Melbourne passed on him. If that was the case, then I wish we had used 33 and 37 to trade up with North, maybe getting a later pick back if they had one for bid matching. But the club rates Brock highly and maybe he'll be the better player.

How nice is it to hear a kid say to his manager get me to the Brisbane Lions I want to play for them. The biggest of ticks to the way the club is now run.

Yeah hearing a drafter talk about how good the guys and culture here is is a massive change.

On reflection..

there is an old Johny Walker ad “Would you prefer the whiskey you want to pay for or the whiskey you want to drink”. Noble obviously prefers to pay for the player we want in the team, rather than the player that is the cheapest in terms of draft points. So far it is a strategy that has worked for us.

also liked the fact that the club didn’t fold and pay more than a reasonable price for Academy picks. In the future clubs will know that there is a risk in bidding early on Academy kids to “force our hand”. once again you can see that the club is playing the long game.

And good luck to the two kids who were picked up by Richmond. They are set for a great two years of experience and football development. Albeit that I would prefer we kept them at the club

B.Smith - the best shut down defender in the draft, theres plenty of rebound defenders, tall defenders, intercept defenders, but if you are looking for a shut down defender that can also rebound well, then Smith is the best choice imo
Sounds good to me.

I'm guessing the Richmond game showed we needed another player who can just man up on a premier forward and take them out of the game.

I wonder if Archie is going elsewhere if we’ll draft a ruck backup today

No... we had a final discussion on the night.... and closed the deal on the night. However conversations had already happened with these clubs as a fall back plan. Thats why we immeditaly rang to 2 clubs who we knew would be willing to do it.

They didnt just start cold calling teams in the hope someone would bite. It was a fallback position planned out that worked.
A lot of cold calling occurred on the night. How you can say otherwise is disingenuous.

I don't believe that would be the case, but let's assume it was. Kudos to Ambrogio who was clearly leading the deal making. He was able to extract an excellent deal under pressured environment with significant time constraints. He got us the points, extracted perhaps a better future third and we still managed to secure Coleman and Prior with our last pick.
We had the points. We had the very next pick.

And we upgraded our last pick by two spots.

But yes, Ambrogio did really good in upgrading our 3rd round pick.

Pretty good outcome i think, a lot to like.
Sured up the midfield depth with a top 10 slider and a quality young man in robertson.
We got a cpl of sm/med defenders that suit our needs nicely. I like that smith has been described as tough and hard as a cats head. I love those kind of players.
We also locked in the best of our academy lads.
Im happy with the potential we have invested in.

Also happy that Cumberland and martyn were picked up. They go into a good system at a very good club, and who knows they may want to come home in a cpl of years to our advantage.

Also with Melbourne picking jackson at 3, Preuss maybe more inclined to an offer when Stef retires. Gawn will be no1 for years to come and Jackson could be seen as heir apparent. Knowing we play a 2 ruck set up, he could see us as a great move for himself.

If Archie Smith does get an offer and moves on, we would still have 1 rookie spot to fill wouldn't we? With young Johnson and the two academy lads gone, who would we look at? Would we look at Tozer or Reville, or a delisted free agent? Would we look at another ruck or hope Eagles or Ballenden could pinch hit? Id probably go the pinch hit path for a year and go hard next yr for Preuss or someone. Id have a good look at the delisted free agents before going with a kid. Thoughts?

I've legitimately never heard of Jaxon Prior, listening to Steven Conole's though they were surprised that he got through to that selection and must have rated him pretty highly.

Looking at the afl draft central analysis he reads like a likely type.
https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/player/jaxon-prior/

DRAFT ANALYSIS: "A talented half-back with good size and rebounding ability, Prior has to improve his physicality and defensive pressure in the next phase of his career."
JAXON Prior is a mobile half-back from West Perth. The 18 year-old from the Sorrento-Duncraig junior football club is the son of former Essendon and West Coast defender Michael who is currently a assistant coach at the Dockers. Prior was a member of the WA state U/18 squad and got some priceless league action at the tail end of the 2019 season. The youngster topped off a fine individual season when he was among five Falcons named in the WAFL Colts team of the year.
STRENGTHS:
Athleticism
Rebounding
Reading the play
Foot skills
Vertical leap
IMPROVEMENTS:
Physicality
Contested work
Defensive pressure

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No... we had a final discussion on the night.... and closed the deal on the night. However conversations had already happened with these clubs as a fall back plan. Thats why we immeditaly rang to 2 clubs who we knew would be willing to do it.

They didnt just start cold calling teams in the hope someone would bite. It was a fallback position planned out that worked.

Yep this. I'd say all the clubs with possible f/s or academy players would have contingencies for early bids. But there are so many variables with which player gets taken at which position on the night that they could only really be vague plans. At the time of a bid then you have to nut the deal out, some are straight forward, others take longer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back