Player Watch Ben Crocker (Delisted 2019, Pies VFL 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Good on him.

hope he plays a bit and goes fine.

great guy great team man.

Probably the worst 1v1 player I have ever seen play for our club but good on him for getting to another club as he obviously trains hard, says a lot when a player more talented like Murray doesn't get picked up
Besides playing on at every opportunity Murray wasn't really that talented really, terrible disposal and not a damn given about being an afl footballer. Give me 100 crocks before 1 Murray good luck to the lad.

Good luck to him.

Wonder how he'll feel about moving interstate with his carers role with his father.

Murray was easily the more talented player.. he pissed an AFL career away
Tom Browne lamenting that Sam Murray didn't get picked up

I tweeted him that if any AFL player goes out during mid week and hits the Coke, then that is a sure sign to recruiters that this guy might not think Footy is all that important....no response from Tom

Given the culture vacuum at the Crows getting in a really solid citizen on the track and off-field makes a lot of sense.

Let's hope he can make more of the opportunity than that - you can be sure he'll leave everything out there on the field and won't hold anything back irrespective of how it pans out in the end.

Tom Browne lamenting that Sam Murray didn't get picked up

I tweeted him that if any AFL player goes out during mid week and hits the Coke, then that is a sure sign to recruiters that this guy might not think Footy is all that important....no response from Tom

What really got him in the end was living the party lifestyle while he was out with the ban and showing up in poor shape when he did reappear - doesn't really speak of someone desperate to make amends and do it right this time when that's how you put yourself out there.

He still might make it onto a list as an SSP pick, but he's going to have to bust his arse and keep the off field stuff 100% locked down to even be looked at from here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi pies fans. Just looking at your comments there seems to be lots of positive comments about Crocker - i know very very little of him. What was the reason he was let go and what can we expect from him - is he likely depth or does he have the ability to push for first team and was he just denied game time behind your better mids?

Hi pies fans. Just looking at your comments there seems to be lots of positive comments about Crocker - i know very very little of him. What was the reason he was let go and what can we expect from him - is he likely depth or does he have the ability to push for first team and was he just denied game time behind your better mids?
Play him on a wing, he's not a forward.

He is a carer for his dad who has early on set alzeihmers, by all reports a super good kid and very popular at the club.

The knocks on him are he just has no afl relevant weapons. His skills are okay, he isn't particularly tall or fast. Has good endurance and gives 100% though, while also has good leadership.

He will be one who everyone loves. Brings the fun and humour to a group. You’ll adore him. Great bloke who is dealing with a bad family situation.

Works the hardest. If played in the right position he could slot into the seniors. Knows where the goals are. He only needs opportunities to grow and get better.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He’s a small/medium forward without any real weapons. Played okay on a wing at VFL level but still behind the likes of Aish/Mayne/Phillips not to mention players with silk like Sidebottom. Played a few games this year and was a role player only, suspect one on one which was evidenced in the match against the Eagles at Optus where he made some critical errors. I’d describe him as a poor Brent Macaffer.

Very good trainer, fantastic on the track and seems to be one of those guys that can make a group more cohesive though.

Awesome stuff...…….all the best Crock.

He's a good fringe HFF-type player. Skill-wise he's pretty decent across the board, but not really one single area that stands out as clearly best-22 quality. Does seem to have a very good head on his shoulders, and is apparently well liked and respected by his coaches and teammates.

On the face of it, you would say that he's no more than a depth player who might rotate into the squad for a few games a year when needed and be adequate - but very occasionally guys like this can really step up and cement a spot.

I think the majority of Pies fans will be happy he's got another chance. (Whilst also understanding why he was delisted)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back