Review 2019 AFL National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I figure I/we have 3 options........back the judgement of the media........back the judgment of footy follower.....back the judgement of our recruiting department....I know which one I will back...

Well - interesting draft

It’s hard not to get caught up in the media hype “this player is a top 5 draftee” or “this player is the best available tall in the second round etc” - PERCEIVED bargains that have DROPPED to your pick!!

There were a few and it was hard to see us pass them up as someone who literally knows nothing!! Never heard of or seen a single draft nominated player. No idea.

So - after a good sleep, I’ll trust that the club has watched over a number of years and targeted players they wanted to fit our needs.

Shaw has said they want versatile types and that’s what we drafted so I guess it’s not surprising.

Anyhow - good luck to all of them and we will be able to judge in time. Not now based on perceptions and media hype.

Go Roos!!

It’s probably been said but can’t believe Mitch O’Neill was overlooked by everyone. Was a top 20 pick at the start of the year

Last edited:

I figure I/we have 3 options........back the judgement of the media........back the judgment of footy follower.....back the judgement of our recruiting department....I know which one I will back...

Seems to me as well the judgement of the media seems to be matching the judgement of our recruiters so some of the judgements of the footy follower might be hovering over a bin.

Bonar, Comden, Mahoney, Perez and massively improved our draft hand for 2020.

A dynamic talented mid, a project KPF/ruck, a smart small forward and a project speedster.

It's workable.

Pick up Walker or McKenzie in the rookie/PSD and back the list in.
That seems to be the strategy.

I suppose it can be argued we chose two players coming off serious injuries. Can see a negative side to that, however I think they both may have gone higher up the list if they had been 100% fit last twelve months. Bit of a risk but may just have snared a ripper bargain if they are back to full capability. Very exciting prospects.

After looking over it all now I am happy with who we have picked up in this draft. The only two that got past our picks that I would've liked are Rivers and Rantall, but I can see why we didn't go for them, in particular Rivers as a HBF. On the picks we did take:

Comben - Like this as a project pick, in particular now that have seen several stories that he has had a late growth spurt and chances are he is still growing. If he ends up 205cm he will be genuine ruck size, or a nightmare for opposition backlines if he ends up a key forward. Has a lot of filling out to do, so will probably take 4 years to get there, which will fit in nicely for taking over from Goldy. Brown may even be on his way out by then too.

Mahony - We needed a small forward and took who we thought was best available. FWIW, personally liked him over Taylor anyway - maybe not as many flashes of brilliance, but will be more involved and offer more throughout the game. Looks like he knows how to get front and centre, and delivers well into the forward 50, which will be a welcome addition.

Perez - We needed some speed and skill in the midfield and he certainly offers that. Was hoping for Rantall at that pick, but looks like Perez has him well covered for skills. Obviously an unknown to some extent due to not playing this year, but seems another with a high ceiling and happy to take the gamble. Seems a great, humble kid too, so wish him all the best.

The one need we didn't address was a KPD, but with Gould and De Koning off the board by our picks I was happy enough to wait another year on that. At the end of the day, next year we will have Tarrant, Daw, Durdin, McKay and Walker on the list as key backs, so we certainly don't have a shortage on quantity. The quality and durability is the question mark, but the next 12 months will tell us more and we can make some moves on that front this time next year.

And like how we strengthened our 2020 draft hand again. We are really well placed to get some high quality talent in the door next year. Also, we death ride Essendon all the time anyway, but the extra spice to death riding them because we have their 2020 2nd pick is also a big tick! :)

https://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2019-11-29/mcguinness-to-north

291119_MattLarge.jpg

Welcome to North Melbourne!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there any reason we have opted to go with just 3 category A rookies? Three ND selections in the 30s and zero Category A rookies ... didn't realise how list was so close to contending.

I suppose it can be argued we chose two players coming off serious injuries. Can see a negative side to that, however I think they both may have gone higher up the list if they had been 100% fit last twelve months. Bit of a risk but may just have snared a ripper bargain if they are back to full capability. Very exciting prospects.

Yep. If you’re picking players in the 30s, you’ve gotta compromise on something. I’m very comfortable picking someone who might be a much better player than their draft position suggests if they get their body right - even knowing that might never happen.

Is there any reason we have opted to go with just 3 category A rookies? Three ND selections in the 30s and zero Category A rookies ... didn't realise how list was so close to contending.
4 cat a rookies
Campbell Hosie Murphy and Hayden
40 senior list

Remove this Banner Ad

Back