Recruiting Draft Watch - Jones, Bryan, Johnson, Cahill, Hibberd in

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

All those baying for blood last night when we didn't pick up a midfielder have gone suspiciously quiet the last hour or so...
But everyone here definitely knows better than Dodoro

* me dead

He said we'll take a player in the SSP, guessing that's Townsend.

What role do we see him playing?
Leader in the VFL and protection for some of the youngsters like mozzie. Should bring a high intensity to training. Also should be ready for any AFL cameos, most likely in the forwardline due to limited tank required for midfield.

All those baying for blood last night when we didn't pick up a midfielder have gone suspiciously quiet the last hour or so...
Picked up an inside mid most would have been happy with in the ND in the rookie draft. Maybe the club knows what they’re doing 🧐

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching the interview of Dodoro after the draft, they asked if he was happy.

He seemed genuinely miffed. He said he was happy with the boys we got but said that with no first rounder and no NGA boys it made it really hard to do anything of note to improve our position.

Said that you could see how the 1st round was manipulated by clubs with NGA prospects (Freo and Port etc) and with no first rounder we were on the outer. Noted we haven't had any NGA guys so it makes it hard to be involved in. Also said they just had to nail our early picks and set up for next year.

MY Analysis:
We probably had a bunch of guys we had targeted who went earlier than we thought (Philp, Dow, Schoenberg) and a bunch of guys who slid (Kemp, Robertsen) that we wanted but no one wanted to trade for our picks which ended up being late 2nd rounders.

All in all any plans we had - midfielders or not - probably went out the window after the first round and despitr desperately trying to move up for Robertsen or Schoenberg (as claimed by Mick Ablett last night) we couldnt. So we loaded up on talls and will hit the draft next year. Brand and Eyre probably dictated the late picks swaps for futures to get points. all in all a frustrating night where we just had to make lemonade out of lemons.
Fair summary, although midfielders were still available if thats what Dodo wanted. He obviously didnt rate them. Will be interesting to watch the careers of Rantall, Bianco and Ralphsmith. Also Riccardi, even though he's a forward.

That's hindsight speaking isn't it?

Also, this makes it two inside mids in 3 years.
No, it's analysing a draft strategy once the whole thing is actually complete.

I am pointing out the fact people went early and were plugging the recruiting team for not recruiting an inside mid, before the entire draft process had been completed.

it's not me benfefitting from hindsight as much as highlighting the fallacy of criticising a draft crop before we had used all our picks

No, it's analysing a draft strategy once the whole thing is actually complete.

I am pointing out the fact people went early and were plugging the recruiting team for not recruiting an inside mid, before the entire draft process had been completed.

it's not me benfefitting from hindsight as much as highlighting the fallacy of criticising a draft crop before we had used all our picks
Well ******* said mate.

I see our 4 primary needs as:

Big Inside-Mid
  • Cooper Stephens (20-35)
  • Sam Philip (35-65)
  • (Mitch Hibberd) Rookie
Developing Key Position Forward
  • Sam de Koning (20-35)
  • Harry Jones (30-45)
  • Jake Ricardi (40-65)
Small Forward
  • Elijah Taylor (25-40)
  • Kysiah Pickett (40-65)
  • (Ned Cahill) 56
Developing Ruck
  • Nick Bryan (30-65)
  • Charlie Comden (60-Rook)
  • Riley Bowman (rookie)
Well done Dodo, addressed our needs for the future in the ruck and KPF and brought in a mature rdy-to-play big bodied mid which is arguably our most pressing issue. Will watch Hibberd with interest given I wasn't a big fan when he was at north but looks to have improved this year at Willy.

Big Nick Bryan fan, 4th-midfielder type ruckman who will take plenty of time to develop but has the attributes to be a premier ruck.

When is SPP ?

I figure we are still looking to add Townsend plus Bennell+ Brown heading to Melbourne etc

When is SPP ?

I figure we are still looking to add Townsend plus Bennell+ Brown heading to Melbourne etc
I don't think they've announced it yet, but It lasts for quite a while, a bit like the pick-only trade period just goes for weeks and there's a bit of news occasionally. Don't expect anything imminent.

Well done Dodo, addressed our needs for the future in the ruck and KPF and brought in a mature rdy-to-play big bodied mid which is arguably our most pressing issue. Will watch Hibberd with interest given I wasn't a big fan when he was at north but looks to have improved this year at Willy.

Big Nick Bryan fan, 4th-midfielder type ruckman who will take plenty of time to develop but has the attributes to be a premier ruck.

eDPS were you this close with our picks?

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back