Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben - re-signed until end of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched the draft on delay late last night and had the common visceral reaction based on the negative prognosis of this kid's prospects from roos_fanatic08 et al yesterday.

Watching his highlights and reading the articles he seems like he has a bit to offer.

It's interesting that because we have 2 tall youngish-young senior performed key forwards it felt there wasn't a need for more. But the sheds are empty when you actually look at the list.

Add to that the fact these types of players typically take 2-3 years just to be in a position to debut and we might've fixed up a structural depth hole before it appeared.

Watched the draft on delay late last night and had the common visceral reaction based on the negative prognosis of this kid's prospects from roos_fanatic08 et al yesterday.

Watching his highlights and reading the articles he seems like he has a bit to offer.

It's interesting that because we have 2 tall youngish-young senior performed key forwards it felt there wasn't a need for more. But the sheds are empty when you actually look at the list.

Add to that the fact these types of players typically take 2-3 years just to be in a position to debut and we might've fixed up a structural depth hole before it appeared.

Bit of an over reaction on my behalf mate, but more so because I wanted other players around our pick. I’m of the opinion that he would’ve been available later than what we took him.

I also have concerns as to what his actual position will be. He is undersized for a ruck and hasnt been overly dominant as a permanent forward.

There is however, no doubt that he has some elite raw athletic potential. He also does fill a need on the list (tall forward) but I would’ve thought a developing ruck (genuine size) later in the draft would’ve been more of a priority.

Bit of an over reaction on my behalf mate, but more so because I wanted other players around our pick. I’m of the opinion that he would’ve been available later than what we took him.

I also have concerns as to what his actual position will be. He is undersized for a ruck and hasnt been overly dominant as a permanent forward.

There is however, no doubt that he has some elite raw athletic potential. He also does fill a need on the list (tall forward) but I would’ve thought a developing ruck (genuine size) later in the draft would’ve been more of a priority.

That read like a crack at you and that wasn't how I intended it.

What I forgot to post above was that its his injury that has me concerned as a supporter. That's a hell of a lot of growing pains (literally) he's endured in his short career.

Hopefully not another one cut from the Garner-Wood cloth of flashes of brilliance followed by 10 weeks off for a dislocated toe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got some very good attributes for a tall already, solid 1 grab clunker of marks, nice bit of toe for chasing/following up, probably not finished growing yet too, plenty to develop there, prototype Ruck/Forward or even swingman, of the modern game. Upside is enormous.

Respect, what a horrible run of injuries.. seems really brave to stay so committed after all that , a real shinboner type quality
I read about them and loved that never give up attitude, same with Perez. These kids that have long term injuries which they have to work hard to get back from, show an inner strength of character that comes in handy at crunch time. Wish them all the best. Another Roo boy with that never beaten attitude, we are racking them up.

I reckon we need a 'game day thread' for draft nights; somewhere where all the blood boiling happens.

Having watched a lot more tape of this kid in the last 24hrs (sorry can’t upload as it’s from a NAB League club).

I can’t shake the thought that he moves like Harris Andrews.

Harris is 202cm vs Comden at 199.

It will be interesting to see how we are planning on developing him if forward or ruck or defender.

He’s definitely got the pace, agility and vertical to play behind the ball really well.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back