List Mgmt. Carlton's 2019 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
That doesn't sit in line with what you put forward though.

Of course we're after talent but it was clear to me for the reasons we targeted certain players, I mentioned.
Let's agree to disagree that we took on Betts, prioritised Papley, hunted Martin and got him to bolster our forward line..
Hell, even Coniglio is a goal-kicking mid and which is why I wanted him above Wines and many others, although there were other reasons involved.

On another note:
This is what you just said - "So speed and footskills as a priority? That was our glaring needs after all"
So you sort of agree that needs to play out no matter whether one doesn't want to say. :)
I think needs always play a part in the draft because I've seen it over and again and we saw it again in recent days.

All in all, the CFC did very well. That's all that matters

Martin and Newnes are more than just a forwards and you know it. We targeted talent in the trade period, no matter the position

I will never deviate from best available, and I have stated I had others ahead of Philp

But none were glaring overreaching for talent and the like of Kemp is a deadset steal

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Yes, after I posted I realised I was just stating the bleeding obvious. Look, not all my posts can be 24-carat gold.

P.S. I’m stoked.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Haha, all good!

My first thought was that you were complaining we'd gone too heavy on the youth, but I wasn't completely sure and didn't want to start a discussion on it if that wasn't your view anyway :p

Bamboo Harvester

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2018
Shark Bay
AFL Club
Carlton
Not interesting at all. In fact not even worth noting.

KM does a sensational job with draft profiles but his draft ratings are, and always have been, completely laughable.

The ratings are when he removes his scout hat and replaces it with his Collingwood fanboi one.

I haven't read his piece but I'll bet everything I own that he had Collingwood near the top of his ratings, and Carlton near the bottom. Am I right?
Oh yeah, Woods got an 'A' of course....but the one that really questions his credibility with his ratings is St Kilda...

1574991235971.png

He also gave them an 'A' 🤪

Martin and Newnes are more than just a forwards and you know it. We targeted talent in the trade period, no matter the position

I will never deviate from best available, and I have stated I had others ahead of Philp

But none were glaring overreaching for talent and the like of Kemp is a deadset steal

That's fine locking down in ones own position, but one can't say that clubs don't look at needs.....because they do. It shows up time and time again.

Let's put a lock on that discussion, because we clearly see, or want to see, two very different things.

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Speed helps the spread

I think the tweaking of Teague's plan will be obviously in the NY
They should but none of those guys are really known for it from my understanding. Dow is quick and is a guy who doesn’t add much outside the contest for instance but that hopefully is just a fitness thing.

it’s no coincidence they all have speed

Not interesting at all. In fact not even worth noting.

KM does a sensational job with draft profiles but his draft ratings are, and always have been, completely laughable.

The ratings are when he removes his scout hat and replaces it with his Collingwood fanboi one.

I haven't read his piece but I'll bet everything I own that he had Collingwood near the top of his ratings, and Carlton near the bottom. Am I right?
He picks and chooses when to include the recruiters haul of picks into the grading
How can anyone give GC an A? Of course they've selected good players, but really not too hard with #1, #2, #11 and #27. There trading was anything but shrewd e.g. they traded 2020 pick #11 for Sharp; in which world is that a great trade?

Last edited:
Reality is most of these 'sliders' /'guns'/'bargains' won't be heard of again. Good luck to them all though and hopefully time will show we had a good haul.

Which will prove to be true but at least we didn't hunt down slow, plodding midfielders just because they could find the ball, or poor ball-using HBF'ers

More of a chance employing this method, than to really never give a guy a chance in the first place.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
That's fine locking down in ones own position, but one can't say that clubs don't look at needs.....because they do. It shows up time and time again.

Let's put a lock on that discussion, because we clearly see, or want to see, two very different things.

Okay Harks, riddle me this....

If we were in such a desperate need and or your opinion/thoughts of small forwards being our number 1 priority, why didn't our recruiting team not draft one?

Newnes is not a small forward, neither is Martin. Butler and Gray we walked away from, Eddie has 1, possibly 2 years left

The only small forward, who has also shown to do stints in the middle is Papley

I respect your opinion, but the facts are, the area of small forwards was not even close to the club's number 1 priority and am happy with what was our real stategy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
They should but none of those guys are really known for it from my understanding. Dow is quick and is a guy who doesn’t add much outside the contest for instance but that hopefully is just a fitness thing.

it’s no coincidence they all have speed

Wasn't talking about Dow, who will be better after the hip issue he had last year

The likes of Fisher, Cunners, Walsh, Martin, Newnes LOB, Ramsey, Honey, Gibbons, Cottrell, will help with spread

We've gone from a slow list to a list built for speed and pressure. Even most of our medium sized players are on the upper echelon. Now to ensure they maintain that advantage while adding strength and bulk to their frames.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton

If we were in such a desperate need and or your opinion/thoughts of small forwards being our number 1 priority, why didn't our recruiting team not draft one?

Newnes is not a small forward, neither is Martin. Butler and Gray we walked away from, Eddie has 1, possibly 2 years left

I respect your opinion, but the facts are, the area of small forwards was not even close to the club's number 1 priority and am happy with what was our real stategy

Hypothetically - the club might have their eye on a few next year, and were happy enough to leave it to Betts + part-timers in 2020.

Don't know enough about next year's draft, but it's entirely possible the club intends to trade into a position where we can draft Small Forward A or B, who we rate higher than the small forwards available this year. Also don't know what discussions were had around Papley, or other opposition small forwards. Based on Sydney's recruiting, I think it's pretty likely they'll be willing to trade Paps next year, Lewis and Elijah Taylor both coming into the club as small forwards.

Funk

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 6, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Missed that, not suprised telecast tonight was bloody ordinary if their fairdinkum, for a start, Tom Morris needs to be replaced immediately he's about as bad as you can get. Listening or watching him makes my ears and eyes bleed...

It could have been worse.

eg - listen to SEN tennis commentator doing his best on something he clearly had very little clue about........

Arr0w - I said..... :)

Sometimes we have to concede that we simply see things differently and maybe...maybe...we're both right to varying degrees and wrong to some degree also.
Nothing has to be black and white but to answer your question and sorry but I have to be on repeat for doing this, as there's no other way.

You said (paraphrasing): At the end of the year we won't be talking about small forwards.
The CFC said: Papley, Betts, Martin and we'll kick the Butler tyres, but it's Papley we really want.

Like I said earlier and many times over (many times) I don't care for the size but the types and for the ability to manufacture goals and all those guys with the exception of Butler to a degree, are capable of that.
i.e Papley would have been a better bet than Gibbons. Martin is a better bet than Polson. Betts is a better bet than ECurnow. The forward starting grid next year will be better than the starting grid this year....without a doubt.
Not getting Papley didn't have any effect on attaining Betts & Martin. all three would have been at the club should have everything gone to plan.

Re Newnes: Not every player we bring to the club can be a forward-of-centre player. Not sure why Newnes would even come into the discussion.

Why didn't we draft one? One what? A small forward?
Like I said again: I don't care for the size of the player but for types that play their roles in the forward line and can manufacture goals.
I wouldn't say no to Stephenson, Rozee etc just because they don't fit into a stereotypical box. That would crazy.

We did though draft: (I haven't seen these guys, so feel free to correct me if wrong)
1. Honey - "High half-forward" who kicks around a goal a game.
2. Phillips - "An incredibly talented forward with high upside" who kicks around 1.2 goals a game.

We did target types. This is what I see and why i like it and if they fail - At least we tried and backed our development team to make good.

What is crazy to me is to load up on the same types just because they're seen to be the better player and especially so deeper in drafts and rookie drafts.
Some may be disappointed that we didn't get Roberston or Rivers or Gould or....etc. I don't care. I'm happy that we addressed need in the main.

Funk

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 6, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Sorry people for my mini meltdowns that I have at roughly a rate of every second year at this time of the year. It really has more to do with my expectations than any objective appraisal of who we've picked up at this stage. It just seems unfinished and narrow focused to me, only having three selections and all of them being midfielders. I like Kemp at our first pick and would have jumped at the chance of drafting Philp if it had have been a Williamson kind of selection, it had actually came to mind that he could be a target with our final pick, whatever it was originally touted to have been. I had no idea he had been rated anywhere near high enough to be targeted as a late first rounder. As for Ramsey, I don't know, it's just seems like midfielder overkill. Just to show you where my head's at, Cooper Sharman or Callum park for our first Rookie, I don't think we'll get both.

3 x mids? I think you’re being a bit harsh.

Kemp - has played forward/back and only recently rolled through the midfield.
Philp - mid
Ramsay - played first half of season at half back. Only played mid for last 6 games. (And still won team B&F).

And all have size and speed.

Hope this makes you feel better.......

Funk

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 6, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
I know his back half was brilliant as an insider.

But i think Ramsay has a lot of potential as a lock down then rebounding half backer. His work rate and foot skills would be huge in the back half.

Id be positioning myself in Simmos back pocket all pre season if I was him.

Ramsay and SPS off half back sounds good to me.

Stephens would have been a good get, but was gone early

Fell out of love with Sharp this year, certainly talented, but he knows it.

Seemed to just go through the motions when it suited him

Have heard this from lots of people.

That's what makes me angriest about that trade.

It's not like they traded up to get a Deven Robertson who slid but is regarded as a young uber professional. They got someone who albeit talented seems to be happy to go missing. It sums up lots of what's been wrong with the Suns since inception.

If it were a Robertson you could say "yeah they've identified him as a mid first round talent who is ready to rock and roll from round one."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back