Game Day 2019 AFL Rookie and PSD Draft thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

hawkins and duncan (and clark) and we might be an extra 2-3 goals in front at half time which might be enough. sigh...

Not might have been.

Would have been.

Biggest wasted opportunity since 2013.

In the 2014 rookie draft we selected a young Tom Read with pick 14 - a 200cm ruck from SA

But we also seemed to have turned our focus to more mature rucks:
- 2011, Orren Stephenson
- 2014, Padraig Lucey
- 2016, Ryan Abbott
- 2018, Darcy Fort

Add in the trades:
- 2012, Hamish McIntosh
- 2014, Rhys Stanley
- 2015, Zac Smith

It's not like we sat on our hands and didn't look at various options over the past decade
This is what I mean though, we've been unwilling to develop a young ruck under Scott - just want quick, cheap, dirty solutions and it hasn't paid off. I remembered Read being pitched as a forward/ruck but sure, he could be the exception. Still a pretty striking change in approach for mine

We mite have Jenkins and Sav as our ruckman

Savdoesnt have the endurance to ruck 80 % of the game and im not sure if Jenkins has the ruck ability. Blitz as first ruck with Sav or Jenkins as the 2nd ruck is how i expect we will go if Stanley isnt there.

The elite rucks in the AFL are Gawn, Grundy and Natanui (when fit). No flags between them...
I would love us to have a ruckman i
of that caliber but we don’t and they don’t grow on trees like inside mids. It’s disingenuous to say the lack of one cost us a flag. More like the loss of Duncan and Hawkins in the PF and a s**t performance in the QF cost us a flag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plus Clark and Rohan - who were both best 22 and had serious impact (whether through meters gained, running bounces or pressure acts).

At one stage in the season, Hawk, Duncan, Clark and Rohan were in our top 10 players.

Oh give it a rest. Let's just ignore the fact that we went hard for Goldstein and offered him 4 years, shall we? I guess that doesn't tie in with your narrative though...
While I'm disappointed we are so short (no pun) on ruckmen this year, Goldstein and a draftee would never have had overlapping AFL careers anyway. Young ruckmen usually need a lot of time before they are remotely ready - look at Tim English getting the crap beaten out of him in hitouts every week.

For me, it's a worry that there is literally no ruck on Geelong's list under the age of 26 (Darcy Fort).

This is what I mean though, we've been unwilling to develop a young ruck under Scott - just want quick, cheap, dirty solutions and it hasn't paid off. I remembered Read being pitched as a forward/ruck but sure, he could be the exception. Still a pretty striking change in approach for mine

SDK, with his midfield attributes (was a full-time mid when he was 177 cm at age 16), looks like he could definitely be that 'development ruck' type. Not to mention, Esava is another young player who could also end up as a full time ruckman. I think we just have to accept that with the hand we've been dealt, and the fact that we're always in the 'premiership window', that there hasn't really been any scope to pick up a long term ruckman. Nor have we had the picks to do so. It is what it is. I think a Sav/Jenkins combination this year would be really dynamic, if Sav can build his tank. He's 199CM now (as opposed to what he's listed at 197 - Hawk even said he's a CM/half an inch taller, and you can see that in photos, video interviews with them), so that combined with his athleticism are good attributes for a long-term ruckman.

While I'm disappointed we are so short (no pun) on ruckmen this year, Goldstein and a draftee would never have had overlapping AFL careers anyway. Young ruckmen usually need a lot of time before they are remotely ready - look at Tim English getting the crap beaten out of him in hitouts every week.

For me, it's a worry that there is literally no ruck on Geelong's list under the age of 26 (Darcy Fort).
Didn't Schlensog play full time as a ruck for the Falcons?

With the plethora of picks that we have next year, if there's a decent ruck early on in the draft, then I think we'll grab him if it's another failing this year. I think 2020 is our last genuine shot, and I think Wells and Co. know that. Ablett and Taylor are both certainties to retire, so we've gone all out in getting Jenkins, trying for Goldy, getting Steven etc.

Any long-term ruck we picked up this year, wouldn't have helped us compete this year, so I'd say after Goldy fell through, they left that as a problem for next year when we'll have available list spots and a decent turnover of players who are out of contract.

It is annoying - the predicament we find ourselves in, but there's not much we can do with what we've been dealt. Fort, Stanley, Jenkins, Blics, Sav, Schlensog, aren't the best options, but they're what we have. If Stanley fails again, and Sav builds his tank this pre-season, and splits duties with Jenkins, then it could be a pretty dynamic combination if it works between the latter two.

I think people are under-estimating just how big an acquisition Jenkins is, as it allows us to deploy Sav in the ruck, and throw Kreuger up forward as a third tall. If it falls apart, then undoubtedly we'll address it once our 'window' starts closing in season's end 2020. It could open again in 2022, with some astute moves, who knows. But the ruck situation doesn't really matter for the 'now' in 2020.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stanley, Sav, Fort, Blic Jenkins- we have plenty of options. They will NOT all be injured at once.

Ruck isnt why we lost the prelim cos blitz played on a wing. Not in the ruck.

There are 3 finals we need to win. Not one. Blitz can maybe hold his own aganst another mediocre ruck for a half. Not 6 halves.
You are naive if you think that's why we lost the prelim.
We were smashed in the second half, impotent, and collectively, noone stood up. We were soundly beaten, eventually, by easily the best team of the past 3 years.

Wells got his usual couple of 180's so at least he's happy.
How many can we play all at once l'm not sure about that?

Dont know if anyone has mentioned it but its looking more and more likely that its career over for Dan Menzel, wasn't picked up, If so wish him all the best in life and he will always be welcome at Geelong.

There are guys from earlier eras considered legends of the game and there are current players called superstars who would NOT have put themselves through what Menz did just to play footy. What rewards he failed to achieve being devastated by injuries he made up for with his strength of character. I wish him well.

There are guys from earlier eras considered legends of the game and there are current players called superstars who would NOT have put themselves through what Menz did just to play footy. What rewards he failed to achieve being devastated by injuries he made up for with his strength of character. I wish him well.

I just really wish he had made it through 2011 and got that flag he so badly deserved.

In the 2014 rookie draft we selected a young Tom Read with pick 14 - a 200cm ruck from SA

But we also seemed to have turned our focus to more mature rucks:
- 2011, Orren Stephenson
- 2014, Padraig Lucey
- 2016, Ryan Abbott
- 2018, Darcy Fort

Add in the trades:
- 2012, Hamish McIntosh
- 2014, Rhys Stanley
- 2015, Zac Smith

It's not like we sat on our hands and didn't look at various options over the past decade
Not one was a kid. All rucks bought imn were medicore or past it or second rucks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back