Recruiting Draft Watch - Jones, Bryan, Johnson, Cahill, Hibberd in

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think they've announced it yet, but It lasts for quite a while, a bit like the pick-only trade period just goes for weeks and there's a bit of news occasionally. Don't expect anything imminent.
Yeah finishes around 2 weeks before round 1 I think

lol we got an inside midfielder with the 9th pick in the rookie draft and now the egg's on our faces for critiquing the national draft strategy

Hibberd is by far the most likely of our recruits to play game for us this year. At our picks there weren't exactly many other ready made inside mids. If we need inside depth for a shot at September this year is value.

If we waste our SSP selection on Townsend and not Hibberd or another mature-aged decent inside mid, then I’ll officially be done.

we have a small chance to actually redeem ourselves somewhat
Turns out he had a strategy. Who'd have thought

Still doesn’t address why we need so many small forwards though

Because that's Rutten and Caracella's game plan. Two talls a medium and a bunch of small tough pressure forwards. We have Tippa and Raz who might leave soon. So yeah I'm keen to get a few in.

Jake Townsend has been playing as an inside mid and floating up to half forward in the VFL, seems Caracalla likes what he brings and got in the recruiters ears. Might be the kick in the arse someone like Langford needs to take that next step.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty happy with the draft overall though to be fair I have no idea if any of the players are good or not. Jones looks like he could be good and good to have a mature inside mid who looks like he could be good.

Would have thought we could have picked up another inside mid in the main draft instead of another small forward, though again, I don’t know whatI’m talking about.

OUT:
Mitch Brown 196cm Forward/Defender
Jordan Houlahan 185cm Forward
Mark Baguley 178cm Forward/Defender

Zac Clarke 203cm Ruck

David Myers 191cm Mid
Jake Long 185cm Mid
Trent Mynott 185cm Mid

Michael Hartley 198cm Defender
Thomas Jok 193cm Defender
Matt Dea 186cm Defender
Ben McNiece 178cm Defender

IN:
Harrison Jones 196cm Forward
Ned Cahill 178cm Forward

Nick Bryan 202cm Ruck
Andrew Phillips 201cm Ruck

Tom Cutler 192cm Mid
Mitchell Hibberd 191cm Mid
Jacob Townsend 187cm Forward/Mid

Cian McBride 197cm Gaelic Defender (not sure what his position will be in AFL)
Ross McQuillan 188cm Gaelic Defender (again not sure about his position in AFL)
Lachlan Johnson 175cm Defender

OUT:
Mitch Brown 196cm Forward/Defender
Jordan Houlahan 185cm Forward
Mark Baguley 178cm Forward/Defender

Zac Clarke 203cm Ruck

David Myers 191cm Mid
Jake Long 185cm Mid
Trent Mynott 185cm Mid

Michael Hartley 198cm Defender
Thomas Jok 193cm Defender
Matt Dea 186cm Defender
Ben McNiece 178cm Defender

IN:
Harrison Jones 196cm Forward
Ned Cahill 178cm Forward

Nick Bryan 202cm Ruck
Andrew Phillips 201cm Ruck

Tom Cutler 192cm Mid
Mitchell Hibberd 191cm Mid
Jacob Townsend 187cm Forward/Mid

Cian McBride 197cm Gaelic Defender (not sure what his position will be in AFL)
Ross McQuillan 188cm Gaelic Defender (again not sure about his position in AFL)
Lachlan Johnson 175cm Defender
Is Townsend confirmed, or speculation?

No, it's analysing a draft strategy once the whole thing is actually complete.

I am pointing out the fact people went early and were plugging the recruiting team for not recruiting an inside mid, before the entire draft process had been completed.

it's not me benfefitting from hindsight as much as highlighting the fallacy of criticising a draft crop before we had used all our picks

Could we guarantee Hibberd would be available?

Surely taking two inside mids in 3 years, as rookie both time, speaks to a distortion of our drafting and list management values.

Remember, the ruck we took at 37 was second choice behind a half back who was first choice.

I'm a big supporter of the haul but that's after the fact and largely because of the player we took as much as the type. The player isn't always available.

It's not like we haven't missed out on picking Tom Campbell, Tory Dickson, Shane Biggs and even Nick Hind in the past.

Did he though or just a pivot after being unable to move up during the draft? Could have easily had him mid year if he was in the plans.

Sounds like Dodoro tried pretty hard to get up to Ports selection to take Robertson, but just didn't have the currency to get it done. No real issue with that, Brisbane had the ability to trade up and got in. I'd have been dirty if we hadn't tried, or had passed.

If Townsend can play midfield then we've got a reasonably balanced draft hand with limited picks, Rantall was about the only midfield prospect still available at our picks that had much talk behind them.

I'm also assuming Townsend comes on in the SSP with the above.

Taking Hibberd seems like it was second choice to drafting a Robertson type, but with none of them left and hearing that we at least tried to move up to get access to him, it was a fairly limited selection. No clear Worpel type that we've passed on.

Could we guarantee Hibberd would be available?

Surely taking two inside mids in 3 years, as rookie both time, speaks to a distortion of our drafting and list management values.

Remember, the ruck we took at 37 was second choice behind a half back who was first choice.

I'm a big supporter of the haul but that's after the fact and largely because of the player we took as much as the type. The player isn't always available.

It's not like we haven't missed out on picking Tom Campbell, Tory Dickson, Shane Biggs and even Nick Hind in the past.
Exactly.

Why make a premature call on the quality of the crop before we have finished, when the sum total of the draft top can be analysed as a whole and we can then evaluate its quality.

My original point was multiple people on this board were ready to riot on the basis Dodoro didnt pick an inside midfielder. Well if they had waited around 12 hours then they would see the guy they wanted at pick 50 odd, we ended getting as a rookie and we pick up another couple of players as well.

We don't know if he would be available, that's the nature of the draft. But we didn't know for sure he wouldnt be, and the fact remains he was so why bother with the hypothetical.

I have criticised Dodoro in the past for not valuing certain positions in the draft (midfielders, traditional shut down defender) but I think it's only fair we wait for the draft to finish before we slam the choices he makes in it.

I have criticised Dodoro in the past for not valuing certain positions in the draft (midfielders, traditional shut down defender) but I think it's only fair we wait for the draft to finish before we slam the choices he makes in it.
So we can slam him now or do we have to wait for all the SPS to be done? I want to get in before the same people saying it's too early start saying it's all "hindsight heroics"

Exactly.

Why make a premature call on the quality of the crop before we have finished, when the sum total of the draft top can be analysed as a whole and we can then evaluate its quality.

My original point was multiple people on this board were ready to riot on the basis Dodoro didnt pick an inside midfielder. Well if they had waited around 12 hours then they would see the guy they wanted at pick 50 odd, we ended getting as a rookie and we pick up another couple of players as well.

We don't know if he would be available, that's the nature of the draft. But we didn't know for sure he wouldnt be, and the fact remains he was so why bother with the hypothetical.

We are not talking about some unique event in isolation so I can't hail the grand plan.

If we go back 5 years, I count 3 players recruited as inside mids, the earliest of which was Clarke at 67. Two rookies.

You then got a few, let's call them general mids, in Parish, Mutch and even McGrath (though he was largely a half back). None a first touch distributor.

We trade in unfit forwards to play as mids. short people to play as beasts and then use 2 first round picks on Shiel.

Still average midfield. 1 genuine A grade midfielder in 20 years (Jobe).

Overlook midfielder who breaks endurance records first for a half back and then for a ruckman, despite already signing up a 20 year old to 4 years, take a kid who might as well be Jake Long (seriously Johnson doesn't even have a position), a small forward and THEN the inside mid.

He's clearly taken a risk based on what he values as being more important for the list.

The draft worked but I can't say it's given me the confidence in Dodoro that has been drained over 18 months.

We seem to be playing a different game to the rest of the competition.

Did he though or just a pivot after being unable to move up during the draft? Could have easily had him mid year if he was in the plans.
That depends on if people want to admit their early melts were ridiculous or not. If they're happy to concede they went way to early then yes he had a plan, if they can't concede they melted too early then he pivoted.

So many? How many do we have on the list? How many did he take last night?
People I consider small forwards:
Walla
Fantasia
Mosquito
Snelling (can play this role)

That enough.

People I consider pure, big-bodie ball-winning inside mids:
Heppell
Clarke
possibly Shiel if I’m generous

I wish we approached our midfield the way we approached other positions

Status