Game Day 2019 AFL Rookie and PSD Draft thread.

Tony Barber

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Esava doesnt have the tank for that role blitz does.
If stanley not there blitz will be no1 ruck with sav or jenkins relief rucking..trust me.
Apologies. But I'm not trusting you.

Firstly you're basing all your calls on a worse case scenario.
Secondly esava did ruck in large chunks this year. Larger chunks than Nic Nat.
Thirdly you're ignoring he has another full preseason ahead of him to build that tank.

If we need to break glass in case of emergency then esava will ruck and you'll be wrong ........ Trust me. :)

Not one was a kid. All rucks bought imn were medicore or past it or second rucks.
Tom Read was 18 - how much younger do they need to be before you consider them a kid?

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
Stitch that lot altogether and we still don't have a decent no1 tap ruckman.We will rue it again come finals next year,nothing changes if nothing changes.

We can't procure a ready-made one out of thin air, lol. We tried getting Goldy, and that was all that was available (who was actually in that upper-echelon of ruckmen). There's nothing we can do if there's no-one else to get.

Sticksman

Club Legend
Feb 7, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Hawkins played against collingwood. Flag was lost there. Richmond had the fresh legs in secnd half cos we played the week before.

No. We lost the PF against the eventual premiers. We suffered a big setback against Pies but still beat WC pretty comfortably. Fresh legs definately a factor but not the whole story by any stretch.

Sticksman

Club Legend
Feb 7, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
We can't procure a ready-made one out of thin air, lol. We tried getting Goldy, and that was all that was available (who was actually in that upper-echelon of ruckmen). There's nothing we can do if there's no-one else to get.

That comment is so bleeding obvious it seems crazy that it needed to be pointed out. I totally agree with you.

Tom Read was 18 - how much younger do they need to be before you consider them a kid?
But that fact does not suit the rant ...

Go Catters

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
With the plethora of picks that we have next year, if there's a decent ruck early on in the draft, then I think we'll grab him if it's another failing this year. I think 2020 is our last genuine shot, and I think Wells and Co. know that. Ablett and Taylor are both certainties to retire, so we've gone all out in getting Jenkins, trying for Goldy, getting Steven etc.

Any long-term ruck we picked up this year, wouldn't have helped us compete this year, so I'd say after Goldy fell through, they left that as a problem for next year when we'll have available list spots and a decent turnover of players who are out of contract.

It is annoying - the predicament we find ourselves in, but there's not much we can do with what we've been dealt. Fort, Stanley, Jenkins, Blics, Sav, Schlensog, aren't the best options, but they're what we have. If Stanley fails again, and Sav builds his tank this pre-season, and splits duties with Jenkins, then it could be a pretty dynamic combination if it works between the latter two.

I think people are under-estimating just how big an acquisition Jenkins is, as it allows us to deploy Sav in the ruck, and throw Kreuger up forward as a third tall. If it falls apart, then undoubtedly we'll address it once our 'window' starts closing in season's end 2020. It could open again in 2022, with some astute moves, who knows. But the ruck situation doesn't really matter for the 'now' in 2020.
There is fair amount of logic in your post ... and mostly what we have done is fine. The only question for me is the last rookie pick .. and if we would have been better spending on a younger tall ... having him on our list and seeing if we think he can develop.Putting as aside ruck..even the role of KPD... I liked the Hilder and one report had us linked to Finlay.. would it be better long term to have one of those developing in the KPD role than having Henderon as a rookie?
Its about development to me not best 22..cause its almost impossible to think that we would find a last pick rookie who would come in and do more than those on our list. Im not sure if we have 1 "ruck" role player on our list who is what you would call a primary ruck who has grown up playing the role. Fort probably... and he is not a finished product thats for sure. Perhaps the pick we have aquired might be used to trade for a player that could come in and do the role ... 12 months will answer a lot of ??? P11 would shake lose a player like Darcy imo.

So yes we have 4 early picks next year maybe we draft and early pick ruck... but Im not convince on the window mindset..Everything the clubs resonates is they do not believe in windows. If our mids start to dry up with the aging of danger and JS ..then they will be hoping that the young gusy take the step up..and if they dont then at years end they will go hard at Danger like replacement who will should a fair whack of the load as the others ease into down slope mode. IF no one steps up and we have the cap room ..id expect us to look at FA mature mid.

Except for the small fact that he wanted Goldstein...
Maybe that's the problem - it was Scott & Selwood who made the approach, including a trip to Melbourne to visit Goldstein

After the unsuccessful trip to SA to talk to Boak, maybe we should have learnt - don't send the coach & captain to talk to the players we really want

We really need to work out a better pitching crew for talking to prospective talent when trying to poach from other clubs...

Shadow89

Cancelled
Feb 20, 2018
There is fair amount of logic in your post ... and mostly what we have done is fine. The only question for me is the last rookie pick .. and if we would have been better spending on a younger tall ... having him on our list and seeing if we think he can develop.Putting as aside ruck..even the role of KPD... I liked the Hilder and one report had us linked to Finlay.. would it be better long term to have one of those developing in the KPD role than having Henderon as a rookie?
Its about development to me not best 22..cause its almost impossible to think that we would find a last pick rookie who would come in and do more than those on our list. Im not sure if we have 1 "ruck" role player on our list who is what you would call a primary ruck who has grown up playing the role. Fort probably... and he is not a finished product thats for sure. Perhaps the pick we have aquired might be used to trade for a player that could come in and do the role ... 12 months will answer a lot of ??? P11 would shake lose a player like Darcy imo.

So yes we have 4 early picks next year maybe we draft and early pick ruck... but Im not convince on the window mindset..Everything the clubs resonates is they do not believe in windows. If our mids start to dry up with the aging of danger and JS ..then they will be hoping that the young gusy take the step up..and if they dont then at years end they will go hard at Danger like replacement who will should a fair whack of the load as the others ease into down slope mode. IF no one steps up and we have the cap room ..id expect us to look at FA mature mid.

I know we don't believe in 'windows' per se, but I think it's just more that Hawk, Sel, Ablett, Taylor (all our 2007-2011 Premiership Heroes), are all in the twilight of their career. Danger and Duncan are getting on too, as is Blics, Stanley, Steven, Jenkins, Tuohy and a few others. We've drafted pretty well the last 4 years, but I think there's an all-in approach that we've taken by grabbing Jenkins and Steven. I don't think we'll bottom out completely, but I can see a 2015 scenario where we drop back to that mid-range 8-14 level, and then grab some free agents/draft some guns and push back up again.

I like the idea of grabbing a Darcy type in 12 months, but who knows how this year will go. I agree with the Henderson vs ruck thing, but I think that was just because Hendo is sticking around in the Geelong scene, so why not give him a job while he's there if we've got the spot, sorta thing. I would have liked us to grab Archie Smith tbh, but I suspect he wanted to stay at Brisbane, and we're too nice to do a St Kilda and just pluck someone.

It will be definitely be interesting, either way, to revisit this conversation in 12 months though.

True but scott has significant influence and he got what he wants regardless of who makes the final call.

But we dont know that. For example us offering a 4 year deal to Goldstein then not taking a ruck now means we didnt rate any other available mature ruck than him but that may have been how Wells rates the talent not Scott. Wells may have decided his difficulty drafting quality rucks (see west simpson vardy read lucey and a few others) means its better value for us to just trade rucks now..we dont know that scott is the one driving the bus there.

Shadow89

Cancelled
Feb 20, 2018
Maybe that's the problem - it was Scott & Selwood who made the approach, including a trip to Melbourne to visit Goldstein

After the unsuccessful trip to SA to talk to Boak, maybe we should have learnt - don't send the coach & captain to talk to the players we really want

We really need to work out a better pitching crew for talking to prospective talent when trying to poach from other clubs...

Goldy was never gonna leave. He said as much in his interview. He also said that Selwood showing up personally, nearly convinced him, given the prospect of tapping down to Danger and him. Ultimately though, he said he wanted to be a 1 club player, so we were just leverage to get an extra year out of North. I have no qualms with it. It is what it is, and I'm happy with who we sent.

Boak was different though...we pissed off a lot of people by doing that. He also wasn't out of contract either, so there was a big difference.

To be fair Goldstein said Geelong presented amazing and with a better offer on paper the issue was that he felt emotionally invested to be a 1club player. I doubt us sending anyone else would have swayed it.

Apologies. But I'm not trusting you.

Firstly you're basing all your calls on a worse case scenario.
Secondly esava did ruck in large chunks this year. Larger chunks than Nic Nat.
Thirdly you're ignoring he has another full preseason ahead of him to build that tank.

If we need to break glass in case of emergency then esava will ruck and you'll be wrong ........ Trust me. :)

Esava rucked parts of games in a secondary role and he played first ruck (which needs way more endurance) for very few...he himself admitted he needs a bigger tank. Unless he improves that a lot over one summer he cant play first ruck in which case it will have to be Blitz if Stanley is injured.

Sadly you are right.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong

More and More ..what we did going to SA is a modern approach ..but the sensitivities of the current norm as it was just could not stomach the honest approach. Mrs Wilson still cracks the sad over it. I have no problem with either failure ..loyalty of the players involved is admirable.. even if it cost both a chance to participate in finals with us. Come years end, 12 months I doubt we fail next time..

May 25, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
SDK, with his midfield attributes (was a full-time mid when he was 177 cm at age 16), looks like he could definitely be that 'development ruck' type. Not to mention, Esava is another young player who could also end up as a full time ruckman. I think we just have to accept that with the hand we've been dealt, and the fact that we're always in the 'premiership window', that there hasn't really been any scope to pick up a long term ruckman. Nor have we had the picks to do so. It is what it is. I think a Sav/Jenkins combination this year would be really dynamic, if Sav can build his tank. He's 199CM now (as opposed to what he's listed at 197 - Hawk even said he's a CM/half an inch taller, and you can see that in photos, video interviews with them), so that combined with his athleticism are good attributes for a long-term ruckman.

but there have been opportunities

May 25, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
There are guys from earlier eras considered legends of the game and there are current players called superstars who would NOT have put themselves through what Menz did just to play footy. What rewards he failed to achieve being devastated by injuries he made up for with his strength of character. I wish him well.

hear hear. there was quite a bit of character assassination around here re menzel when he was on his way out the door. It was most unbecoming and reflected poorly on those who engaged in it.

Goldstein for four years? at this stage of his career? sounds like another stop-gap solution to me.

He was the best ruck out there. He stayed at NM on a 3yr deal.

Stitch that lot altogether and we still don't have a decent no1 tap ruckman.We will rue it again come finals next year,nothing changes if nothing changes.
Unless we select a ready made disgruntled ruckman, and there are oodles of those available!!, nothing will change, and so it should be that way. We will have to learn to make best use of the players we have available.It does not fluster me at all. We can win enough games to get to finals and that is our problem. Until we "succeed" in finishing bottom 2 or 3, we will never get the choice picks.
My only question is, were we ever a chance to have selected Marshall?

Back