AFL Club
Carlton
21 martin.jpg

iAsbestos

All Australian
Nov 22, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
I still can't really believe he is a blue. This is a HUGE acquisition. Best 22 player immediately for us. Creates depth right off the bat. So much competition for midfield/half forward spots.

Tier 1. Cripps, Murphy, Curnow
Tier 2. SPS, Walsh, Martin, Setterfield
Tier 3. Fisher, Cuningham, Dow, Stocker, Kennedy, Gibbons, O'Brien, Newnes
Tier 4. Philp, Honey, Kemp (injured), Ramsay Lang, Polson

It's going to be tough to fit them all in. Can't wait to see how some of those Tier 3 boys come on.

Midfield depth at last <3

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Hats off to SOS who is cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford. Refuses to pay overs for players. Getting some decent depth now.
There would have been a few nufties from this board that would have mouthed off after trade period over and lamented not giving up pick 9 for Martin.
Yep, the nufties that got no clue and dumb enough to pay way overs for players. You keep your head like SOS did and refuse to be stupid and you get players like Kemp, Martin and others and still have all our first, second and third round picks next draft period in our pockets.

Last edited:

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
THANKS!!!!

At least he took it in good spirits! Still tried to weasel his way out of taking responsibility!

Yeah - this is the problem with the media now, there's such an oversaturation that they clamber over eachother to post the most extreme opinions chasing top billing on whichever news platform they're affiliated with, and the only accountability is this sort of feedback from fans on social media which, really, just drives more traffic their way anyway. They can just wave it away and nobody gives a s**t in 48 hours anyway.

Would love to see a major channel or publication take a stand and employ genuine experts to make informed comments, but I'm just not convinced the wider football fanbase has the attention span to take notice of that sort of content. Much more entertaining for the plebs to just tag their opposition-supporting mates in the comments of chicken-little hack-job "articles" for a laugh.

RedFury

Premiership Player
Jul 12, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
We managed to get Jack Martin for free.

We managed to get Sam Philp for free.

I, for one, welcome GC's appalling trade/draft period.

They've just about given away all their other freebies (other than pick 2) through poor decisions over the last 6 weeks.

It just goes to show, until you get the people at the top right (pres, ceo, footy boss, list manager, coach) you can throw draft concessions at a club all you like and it won't get very far.

Sure they've amassed some great talent over the past 2 years but they're still making horrible decisions and there's no guarantees those players will want to stay if that continues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
That’s how I originally pictured him, but after watching those highlights I didn’t realise how opportunistic he was around goals. He could easily fill our small forward void this year with Eddie, then rotate off a high half forward with Paps in 2021 ;)

Gives us so many options and can really only get better.

In his interview on the Carlton website he was asked where he expected to play and he straight up just said 'Forward'.

I like the idea of him as a high half forward and playing a role similar to Liam Ryan/Willie Rioli/Dan Rioli etc.

GoBlues!

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 1, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
First King says Carlton not securing Jack Martin the first time around, was way worse than North’s failed efforts with Dusty, Gaff and DeGoey. Why? Is it because Jack is such a quality player, and we failed to cough up the required picks to pull it off?

Then his follow up weasel response ends with, hope he lives up to the hype. What hype, do you mean the hype you and the media drummed up and feasted on at SoS expense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back