Game Day Draft Day 2019! Picks: 7, 8, 9, 67, 82, 86, 88

Remove this Banner Ad

i looked at the highlights of most of the recruits of almost all the clubs, I noticed that our late picks and rookies have more sped,agility and evasiveness compared to all others. I know it doesn't mean anything unless you play good footy. But I have a feeling that these late picks done with a plan to compliment our new fast game style .we went with best available with top 3 picks and gone with speedy players later....??

I don’t think this is getting enough recognition for what a difference this is culturally from the previous regime.
I haven't thought of it like that yet. I wonder if getting all these talented NGA kids in this year was part of the thought process around changing coaches. The old school approach might not have worked as well.

I think Freo have indicated that the alignment will not be renewed - in lieu of the West Coast having a stand-alone team, I would say this is what may happen with Fremantle.
If that is the case I want to see the club re-establish it’s roots at Fremantle oval for home games.

Absolutely we are either Fremantle or we never ever have been.

i looked at the highlights of most of the recruits of almost all the clubs, I noticed that our late picks and rookies have more sped,agility and evasiveness compared to all others. I know it doesn't mean anything unless you play good footy. But I have a feeling that these late picks done with a plan to compliment our new fast game style .we went with best available with top 3 picks and gone with speedy players later....??
Like the club stated pre-draft.

Early picks - Best available
Later picks - list needs

I find Gold Coast infuriating at times.

They say Carlton offered nothing of value to us because we had a good range of picks this year and next. So no deal done on Jack Martin.

Then they toss away two compo picks given to them by AFL (pick 20(22) 2019, and pick 11 2020) for very little return. Don’t get me wrong I like Sharp and Flanders but they paid well overs for them. Then in hindsight those trades would have made more sense if they just accepted a little under for Jack Martin to receive Carlton’s future second pick. A future 2nd would be more than handy for them after gifting Geelong pick 11.

They say Carlton offered nothing of value to us because we had a good range of picks this year and next. So no deal done on Jack Martin.

Then they toss away two compo picks given to them by AFL (pick 20(22) 2019, and pick 11 2020) for very little return. Don’t get me wrong I like Sharp and Flanders but they paid well overs for them. Then in hindsight those trades would have made more sense if they just accepted a little under for Jack Martin to receive Carlton’s future second pick. A future 2nd would be more than handy for them after gifting Geelong pick 11.
I hate them, they are so irresponsible it makes me sick. I can't wait for them to fold, which will happen as they aren't even trying to not run the club into the ground

Worked to your advantage though when you got pick 2 for Lachie Weller. You can't pass those opportunities up although I agree, the AFL keeps making allowances notwithstanding crap decisions from the clubs admin.

100% agree with this. They turned Jack Martin, Pick 11 (2020) pick 15 and Pick 20 into pick 11 (Flanders) and pick 27 (Sharp).

100% agree with this. They turned Jack Martin, Pick 11 (2020) pick 15 and Pick 20 into pick 11 (Flanders) and pick 27 (Sharp).

What do they care about picks though? They know they can reach out to the AFL and get more at basically any stage. Picks mean sweet F-all to that club, if they see a player they want they will do anything to get him.

Yep - lets call Martin a 18-20 pick.

11+15+20+20 (4265)
11+27 (2032)

What infuriated me the most was the list manager making comments like it’s not about the number it’s about getting the player we want and now.

What a load of rubbish. That is after they write a heart felt hundred page presentation pulling at the AFL heart strings saying if you don’t come and rescue us we’ll fold etc.

And they dropped their strides like MJ at a Kebab shop to give Adelaide the full moon when Adelaide questioned the Potential move by the AFL in giving them a pick at the top of the draft affecting the trade they did with Carlton.

Last edited:

More filling or addressing a weakness i.e lack of pace

I haven't thought of it like that yet. I wonder if getting all these talented NGA kids in this year was part of the thought process around changing coaches. The old school approach might not have worked as well.
Don't think so. The NGA hasn't been there long, this is the first real 'graduation' of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Easy come, easy go.

I don’t think this is getting enough recognition for what a difference this is culturally from the previous regime.

Think this is a bit unfair. It's incredibly rare circumstances where we only had 1 pick on 1 day, I doubt it's happened before. All the other picks were the day before at the round 1 presentation, so the introductions could be done there. Most years we would have draftees all over Australia so it would become impracticable to meet them all and favouritism to meet only a few. If he does it next year fair enough.

All reports link Peel to going their own way.
Don’t think they’ll benefit from it. Freo helped them develop in colts. Now they’ll be playing catch up like East Perth.
Freo getting a new WAFL team won’t change too much. Top up with Ex WAFL/AFL list cloggers. Like Brady Grey to West Coast WAFL.

Maybe but Peel is a huge region to be busing in such a big chunk of their first grade team. Now they're established (and with an upgraded home ground) Peel Thunder should have as much chance as anyone of being sustainable.

Think this is a bit unfair. It's incredibly rare circumstances where we only had 1 pick on 1 day, I doubt it's happened before. All the other picks were the day before at the round 1 presentation, so the introductions could be done there. Most years we would have draftees all over Australia so it would become impracticable to meet them all and favouritism to meet only a few. If he does it next year fair enough.

He’s spending some time with Serong and Young’s parents today and tomorrow. So flew to Adelaide for few hours just to meet Ms Frederick and Michael then back to Melb and I’m sure he’ll be back to Perth on Sunday and will meet with Pina’s family.

Definitely a different.

Maybe but Peel is a huge region to be busing in such a big chunk of their first grade team. Now they're established (and with an upgraded home ground) Peel Thunder should have as much chance as anyone of being sustainable.

Except Mandurah and the Peel region is in the toilet economically.

Jack Martin was all about making a point on retention, picks are devalued currency for them, in a similar way they have been to Carltoon at times. Retention means more, as does poaching, hence the Weller willingness.

It's good for the national game that they succeed and wanting them to fail is fairly irrational for most outside of Vic-traditionalist-chauvinism-land.

For them now is king, so it isn't bad strategy they get kids they want and get the development into them sooner rather than later.

Freo has had a strong player welfare focus for a long time, which has included involving and reaching out to the parents. I remember a few families commenting on Freo having been fantastic in that regard. The Brayshaw's are someone who immediately come to mind.

Maybe Longmuir is taking a more involved approach up front. It makes sense for a new coach too, but maybe it's something he feels needs to be done that way longer term too. Hopefully it's an effective strategy.

I would hope that having the coach sitting on your couch telling you how personally he takes the role of making your son not only the best footballer he can be but also the best person he can would carry some weight when it comes time to extend a contract with the club.

I would hope that having the coach sitting on your couch telling you how personally he takes the role of making your son not only the best footballer he can be but also the best person he can would carry some weight when it comes time to extend a contract with the club.
Meh...only if them doing that is backed up by ongoing actions. Which, by the time all those years of water have gone under the bridge by the time contract's are up, would outweigh that first up gesture x1000.

It'd be reassuring now though and a nice indication of what you could expect of actions to come.

Meh...only if them doing that is backed up by ongoing actions. Which, by the time all those years of water have gone under the bridge by the time contract's are up, would outweigh that first up gesture x1000.

It'd be reassuring now though and a nice indication of what you could expect of actions to come.
It is contrived when laid out but if I were employed at the club as the player welfare officer I'd have a spreadsheet with booked in time for the coach to ring the players parents and let them know how it's all going.

Especially if there is family stuff going on, I'd be able to send him an email with key discussion points to prompt him about important family things or remind him of stories etc. Giving the impression of remembering it all.

And that's if he didn't already.

Perception is nine tenths of reality. The coach keeps in the loop of anything he needs to be extra supportive or back off on, the family are part of our freo family and the player knows he matters to us

Remove this Banner Ad

Back