Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide academy players next year:
L.Edwards
J.Borlase
K.Baldwin
T.Newchurch (could be 2021)
K.Dean

Anyone know much about these guys

I’m almost certain Baldwin might be in your academy but not eligible to be drafted as an nga player.

the same way Milera was in ours but not eligible.

Also, just for info sake for all those not informed Borlase is the son of a 220something games 4x premiership port captain who doesn’t qualify as a port father son because afl completely ****ed us over on father son rules, but is eligible as a nga for Adelaide because his dad was overseas for work when he was born and the suburb he now resides is allocated as a crows recruiting zone despite crows never traditionally having a zone or recruiting area...

if he does ever pull on a crows guernsey Afl house has to be burnt to the ******* ground.
Imagine Chris Grants son being nga for hawthorn
Or koutas kid being nga for Richmond. you can’t imagine because it would never happen.

Apparently Jye Clark, younger brother of Jordan is available next year. Already 18 though

Jye's a 2001 born player so technically his draft year is this year but given he is born later in the year, I think he'll get the second chance next year as an overager.

Same scenario as Jarvis Pina.

Last edited:
I’m almost certain Baldwin might be in your academy but not eligible to be drafted as an nga player.

Also, just for info sake for all those not informed Borlase is the son of a 220something games 4x premiership port captain who doesn’t qualify as a port father son because afl completely f’ed us over on father son rules, but is eligible as a nga for Adelaide because his dad was overseas for work when he was born and the suburb he now resides is allocated as a crows recruiting zone despite crows never traditionally having a zone or recruiting area...

if he does ever pull on a crows guernsey Afl house has to be burnt to the ******* ground.
Or koutas kid being nga for Richmond. you can’t imagine because it would never happen.
Ross Gibbs likes this!

Also, just for info sake for all those not informed Borlase is the son of a 220something games 4x premiership port captain who doesn’t qualify as a port father son because afl completely f’ed us over on father son rules, but is eligible as a nga for Adelaide because his dad was overseas for work when he was born and the suburb he now resides is allocated as a crows recruiting zone despite crows never traditionally having a zone or recruiting area...

You're totally right. How the Crows have access to Darryl Borlase's son says what a joke these academy's are.

The F/S thing is a bit of a joke as well (enter Byrce Gibbs), and throw in the Riverenia region for GWS and we have a system which was ideated for the right reasons, but (in true AFL fashion) poorly executed.

On this topic, now that Port is 'one club', my expectation would be that they would say they only want the traditional Port zones for their academy, while the Crows (from 9 other SANFL clubs) would take the rest

Jye's a 2001 born player so technically his draft year is this year but given he is born later in the year, I think he'll get the second chance next year as an overager.

Same scenario as Jarvis Pina.
Yeah Monocle says the same, What I don't get, is there are younger players then him in this years draft. Could he be getting hidden or held back a bit? I think the kid is going to be a star

Yeah Monocle says the same, What I don't get, is there are younger players then him in this years draft. Could he be getting hidden or held back a bit? I think the kid is going to be a star

I'm somewhat surprised with his lack of opportunities as well given he had a consistent high performance at colts.

If there had been a lot of interest from recruiters, then he would have definitely been playing State 18's. Perhaps he doesn't have the AFL qualities like his brother because to get those sort of stats and not be selected is a worry. Somewhat like Tyron Hindmarsh from WP who had an excellent year stats wise but over looked for states as well.

Hopefully it drives them even harder next year.

Gibbs should have been a Crows FS, but Port/Rucci ruined that, and the same ruling prevents Borlase.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we don't really ark about this we have become to soft for my liking.

players that have impressed me in the little to average amount of vision i have seen of them (anywhere from 1-12 games) these are the players i have seen play good footy and are ones to watch for next season, theres still some talent i have not seen a lot of and so my mind will probably change as next season plays out, but i like these prospects and what they did this season.

Errol Gulden - Syd A - he is small at 173cm but can win a lot of poss and can kick a goal, in his 3 nab league games he kicked 4 goals, and averaged 27.3 and he was one of the best for The Allies at the u18 champs this year playing as a small forw with Rosas and Ace forming a 3-man smalls brigade that was impressive, he is quality

Oliver Davis - Tasmania - another inside mid, similar to Gulden but 180cm and a little less productive and not really a goal kicker, in his 13 games kicked 1 goal + averaged 22 disposals in the nab league, has a better defensive game averaging a high 7.8 tackles per game, got a game for the Allies, but it was in a thrashing and got dropped, i thought he looked good but when your team fails and you're an underager you get the chop.

Sam Collins - Tasmania - played as an interceptor defender with rebound qualities, started the season on fire, but seemed to drop off later in the season a little, still a high quality medium intercept defender and can even move into midfield with his 185cm frame, played in the Allies thrashing and got dropped also, averaged 17.3 disp a game from 13 games playing half back and at times wing, plays taller than he is and also filled in at CHB at times when the team needed him to because of his quality aerial ability

Tanner Bruhn - Geelong - injured for most of the season, but played the last few games and looked really good out there, his first game back was a sensational game, played 2 games, kicked 3 goals, averaged only 17 disposals, but looks a top end talent and hopefully is fit and firing for 2020, 182cm

Elijah Hollands - Murray - early in the year he was a marking machine for Murray, he would mark everything in his area, the only thing holding him back was his accuracy in front of goal, then he played in the champs for VC and i thought he was really good in the first 2 games for VC then dropped off a little in the last 2, he then was on fire in the Futures Game being one of the best players on the field imo, 188cm

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan - GWV/Oakleigh - the WB NGA moves like buddy(athletic lanky and tall with long reach), has sticky hands and can kick a nice goal from inside 50, he doesnt have Buddys left foot though and im not sure if he has good range or just average range with his boot, has already kicked a few bags this year and is looking on pace to go early in 2020, he was looking good for GWV, but probably got offered a private school scholarship and tied to Oakleigh the Juggernaut of Vic Metro Teams. 194cm

Charlie Lazzaro - Geelong - this is a personal favourite of mine, he was great for Geelong when he was fit and played for them, inside/outside mid who showed some real talent and got no fanfare, no VC invite and didnt get an invite to the Futures Game either, in his 8 games he kicked 1 goal and averaged 20 disposals, he is one to keep an eye out for, i have high hopes he can produce more eye catching footy next season, 177cm

Jack Ginnivan - Bendigo - this kid had a great end to 2019, looking like a class act as a small forw with x-factor, in 12 games kicked 19 goals most coming late in the season, averaged 16.1 disposals as a forw at 180cm is a good height, good mark and smart player

Eddie Ford - Western - i thought he was unlucky not to get into the VM squad, he was dominant in the VM Trial Game that i saw and didnt get into the squad, he was a bit raw, but he marked everything and plays very strongly for a guy 186cm tall, averaged 14.1 disposals as a utility in 16 games for 7 goals, also played well in the Futures game and looks a likely type

Will Phillips - Oakleigh - he could be firming as the early number 1 pick, had a good season with Oakleigh, looked good in his 1 game for VM in the champs in the last game i believe, then had a great finals series, finishing in being one of the best in the grand final win, then being one of the best if not BOG in the Futures game, following in the steps of Rowell, at 179cm he is a decent height for an inside mid with class, in 10 games averaged 22.1 and kicked 3 goals, with good clearance numbers

Josh Clarke - Eastern - the rebounding hbf with good athletic qualities was a constant source of run and carry causing counter-attacks for Eastern in their top of the table, grand final losing season, another youngster i thought deserved a shot in the VM champs team this year, but didnt get the call up, 181cm, averaged 16.1 disposals and a tonne of rebound50 and inside50 numbers

Finlay Macrae - Oakleigh - 184cm midfielder, looks to have good athletic qualities similar to his brother, usually clean user of the footy and a part of the dominant and skillful Oakleigh premiership winning team, in his 7 games kicked 3 goals and averaged 16.9 disposals, so looking for bigger impact for next season from the skillful youngster

Connor Downie - Eastern - 183cm, winger with good endurance, lacks a little speed, but has a booming kick on him which he usually uses well, goal kicking winger as well, which increases his value a bit, in his 14 games kicked 9 goals with 16.4 disposals a game, played a game for VM but got dropped after VM got beaten by VC, Hawthorn NGA for 2020

Archie Perkins - Sandringham - 185cm, quality half forw who played some good footy, missed the later part of the season and the futures game through injury, but i saw enough of his talent for Sandy to look out for him next season, played 6 games, kicking 10 goals and averaging 14.2 disposals a game, good talent.

Corey Durdin - SA - 173cm, very quick small forw/mid, was impressive in bursts for SA at the champs, didnt accumulate big numbers, but was a dangerous player for SA, i had to mention him, because he can tear a team apart in moments and if he does that in his draft year, he will impress plenty of people

Riley Thilthorpe - SA - 199cm ruckman, with a well built frame, saw him play impressive footy in the Futures Game this year, was injured for the champs and so have had little vision to judge him, but he seems a good ruck prospect

Luke Edwards - SA - 187cm, was one of the best players for SA in this years champs, was a quality medium hbf rebounding defender, won most 1 v 1's and used the ball well on the rebound out of defence, was very unlucky not to get All-Australian in the u18 champs this year also, played well in the Futures game also, just a talent and likely to go first round next year, Adelaides F/S

Nathan O'Driscoll - WA - 182cm, big bodied strong inside mid, a similar build to Tom Green/Clayton Oliver maybe a tad shorter, really caught my eye in the game that won WA the champs, looked strong and agile and the WCE recruiters were drooling over him that were sitting behind me, also was strong and good in the futures game, another i would rate pretty highly personally

Denver Grainger-Barras - WA - 192cm, a tall defender that intercept marks for fun, strong in the air, taking contested marks and positions himself perfectly for inside 50 entries from opponents, has a Jeremy McGovern style of game, was very impressive in WA's victory over VC in this years champs, at one stage he looked like he was unpassable and was an aerial wall as an underager was an impressive feat.

Logan McDonald - WA - 192cm, a leading forward at this years u18 champs, didnt have a huge impact and couldve done a lot better if he could kick a goal from 40m+ which i thought was his only weakness from an otherwise impressive performance against some good tall defenders from this years draft pool

P.S.: i also liked the look of Callow(Tas), Crozier(Bris A), Carrol(WA), Campbell(Syd A), Henry(Geel), Berry(Gipps), Davies(GCS A), but its hard to accurately judge them atm, as i need to see them in their draft year play in their number 1 natural positions and as leaders of their teams to get a solid read, also need to see more of the interstaters, mostly SA and WA because ive seen most of the Allies kids in the nab league for a couple months and in Tasmanias case all season.

i have not seen Baldwin(SA) and Trew(WA) just going off of the hype from their states atm, also need to see more interstate talent to have a clearer picture of whether they are top tier or not, at this stage i have seen most a little and i need to see more.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back