Delisted #46: Mitchell Hibberd - Not offered a contract for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, essentially. That's why you have to be certain they won't be back. And in a case like Johnson that's smart
Is there a reason Brisbane weren't onto this plan to move a player to the inactive list? Maybe didn't have the list spots. If this is the case I wonder did our nominating their player earier to eat up picks have anything to do with the Johnson plan.

Please explain this to my stupid brain... what you've said sounds like we shouldn't have bothered with Johnson at all ??
Essentially we wanted Johnson. If we didn't pick him there we wouldn't have gotten him. But since he won't play next year we can pick up another player.
Is there a reason Brisbane weren't onto this plan to move a player to the inactive list? Maybe didn't have the list spots. If this is the case I wonder did our nominating their player earier to eat up picks have anything to do with the Johnson plan.
I think they were planning something similar but went the safe option on the rookie list.

Essentially we wanted Johnson. If we didn't pick him there we wouldn't have gotten him. But since he won't play next year we can pick up another player.

I think they were planning something similar but went the safe option on the rookie list.
...but by your rationale we picked him because we were certain he wouldn't be back, right? So why bother at all? ...or is it that by 2021 we could keep both Johnston and the SPP picked player?

...but by your rationale we picked him because we were certain he wouldn't be back, right? So why bother at all? ...or is it that by 2021 we could keep both Johnston and the SPP picked player?
No, we picked him to be that lock down defender and if we didn't pick him there we wouldn't get him.

And yes, we can do that too

You should apply when Dodo retires. You're all over it.
right now working have a day job putting the cat amongst the pigeons, when DODO retires lol, when dodo retires cue for bombers to win their next flag, recruiting has killed us for the last 20 years under his watch. poor selections year after year, no one wants to trade with him contrast that with Stephen Wells from Geelong or Graham Wright from Hawforn, how many flags between them in that time ????

So when we mistakenly drafted Morgan as a 2nd round pick. There were plenty here who would've rathered Hibberd and/or Bonner for the same HBF role.

Then Nth stole the spud Morgan off us. Delisted Hibberd.
And now, it turns out Hibberd was the HBF unicorn that we can turn in to a mid all along.

Don't worry too much about the exact mechanism.

Johnson is out all next year due to injury so we put him on the inactive list which enables us to select another player in the same way in which Carlton took Gibbons as Docherty's replacement.

We took Johnson because we like him.

Please explain this to my stupid brain... what you've said sounds like we shouldn't have bothered with Johnson at all ??
No, essentially we get a free swing at him. So remember everyone picked in the ND gets a two year contract.

We fill his spot with someone who can contribute in 2020 on a 1 year rookie deal, and give him a year in a professional environment to rehab before his second year in 2021 to have a crack at playing.

From a strategic standpoint, it was very clever. Whether Johnson makes it or not is a completely different concern.

No, essentially we get a free swing at him. So remember everyone picked in the ND gets a two year contract.

We fill his spot with someone who can contribute in 2020 on a 1 year rookie deal, and give him a year in a professional environment to rehab before his second year in 2021 to have a crack at playing.

From a strategic standpoint, it was very clever. Whether Johnson makes it or not is a completely different concern.
Okay, this is similar to the rationale I had before I read ethdog's post about picking him because we're certain he won't be back. I'm on an even keel again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

right now working have a day job putting the cat amongst the pigeons, when DODO retires lol, when dodo retires cue for bombers to win their next flag, recruiting has killed us for the last 20 years under his watch. poor selections year after year, no one wants to trade with him contrast that with Stephen Wells from Geelong or Graham Wright from Hawforn, how many flags between them in that time ????
I was pretty crook last night but I'm okay now. We've filled our needs, even if they weren't prioritised the way I'd hoped. And yes, I also still hope we're looking at other list managers.

It's interesting that you would go back to our drafting 20 years ago though. Dodoro learned about list building from Sheedy, and is documented as saying Sheeds taught him to build the spine first and then build around that. Our first two picks last night, according to the 20 years ago strategy, were talls. Go figure.

Can someone tell me why now and not 6 months ago?

If we thought he was good enough why not grab earlier and get look at AFL level.

Seems a weird strategy but I'm happy to be corrected.

We obviously felt Snelling was a greater need at the time and was mentioned we felt we needed someone to cover Dev Smith and we also knew what Fantasia was battling throughout the year injury wise

I was pretty crook last night but I'm okay now. We've filled our needs, even if they weren't prioritised the way I'd hoped. And yes, I also still hope we're looking at other list managers.

It's interesting that you would go back to our drafting 20 years ago though. Dodoro learned about list building from Sheedy, and is documented as saying Sheeds taught him to build the spine first and then build around that. Our first two picks last night, according to the 20 years ago strategy, were talls. Go figure.
Dodo living in the past its all about recruiting big body mids first aka fyfe, danger, Cripps, selwood, ablett etc the last 15 years but someone forgot to tell dodo lol

Dodo living in the past its all about recruiting big body mids first aka fyfe, danger, Cripps, selwood, ablett etc the last 15 years but someone forgot to tell dodo lol

The ironic thing is Gary Ablett started his career as a small forward, where he stayed for years before moving into the midfield. Literally the same type of player that everyone hates Dodoro drafting.

Another thing that occurs to me is that out of your list - Fyfe, Danger and Cripps haven't won any flags. Selwood won his whilst he was a youngster that was a good player but wasn't really a key leader of the team (well maybe 2011). Cripps is supposedly the best thing since sliced bread even though I don't think his team has ever won 10 games in a season since he's been a regular.

The ironic thing is Gary Ablett started his career as a small forward, where he stayed for years before moving into the midfield. Literally the same type of player that everyone hates Dodoro drafting.

Another thing that occurs to me is that out of your list - Fyfe, Danger and Cripps haven't won any flags. Selwood won his whilst he was a youngster that was a good player but wasn't really a key leader of the team (well maybe 2011). Cripps is supposedly the best thing since sliced bread even though I don't think his team has ever won 10 games in a season since he's been a regular.

In that case, let's substitute Dusty, Yeo, Bont and JPK into the discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back