Nostradamus Lives Stephen SOS Silvagni sacked from Carlton. Tom Browne upgraded to CCC- Junk Bond rating

Remove this Banner Ad

Your being a bit naive thinking Sos had nothing to do with it. Last time i checked Betts was a player not a list manager.
fair enough..
Martin did his part to get to Carlton though.

all bullshit aside..I do think you guys are on the right track now.
just been hearing it for way too long not to have a bit of fun.:thumbsu:

Check out this thread for example...

Ratio of 1:4 Opposition supporters : Carlton supporters.

Oppo supporters - SOS is a nuffy. NFI.

Carlton supporters - youse are just jealous.

Meanwhile, Carlton have averaged 4 wins per season under SOS's reign, and continue with the rotating door policy where you're lucky to be on their list a year after being drafted/traded.
Nobody said ‘youse’.

4 wins per season during a time the club has openly stated they are rebuilding. 7 wins this year including 6 of the last 9 which ain’t too shabby at all. Plenty of close losses too that could’ve gone our way.

The rotating door policy? SOS’ turnover of recruits is standard, his % is lower than Hines. You are that lost you literally resort to making things up.

What percentage of players that SOS has selected, be it via trading or the draft, are no longer at the club?

Therein lies your answer...

50%.

Collingwood since 2016 = 46%.

Sack Hine.

Nobody said ‘youse’.

4 wins per season during a time the club has openly stated they are rebuilding. 7 wins this year including 6 of the last 9 which ain’t too shabby at all. Plenty of close losses too that could’ve gone our way.

The rotating door policy? SOS’ turnover of recruits is standard, his % is lower than Hines. You are that lost you literally resort to making things up.
OK, so I know it's the Carlton way for a Carlton official/player/supporter to make a comment, and the disciples take it and run with it as fact, but it is time to quash this ridiculous statement as the trash that it is...

The great SOS commenced a List Manager at Carlton in 2015, with his trading/drafting history as follows:

Still on list:
2015 - Plowman, Weitering, McKay, C. Curnow, Cuningham, J. Silvagni
2016 - Marchbank, SPP, Fisher, Macreadie, Polson, Williamson
2017 - Kennedy, Lang, Dow, O'Brien, De Koning
2018 - McGovern, Newman, Setterfield, Owies, Walsh, Stocker, O'Dwyer, B. Silvagni, Goddard, Cottrell, Gibbons

No longer on list:
2015 - Kerridge, Lamb, Phillips, Sumner, Gorringe, Wright, Glass-McCasker, Galluci, Korchek
2016 - Palmer, Pickett, Smedts, Kerr, Lebois, A. Silvagni
2017 - Lobbe, Mullett, Schumaker, Garlett, McDaid, O'Shea, Shaw
2018 - Fasolo, Bugg, DeLuca

At Collingwood, since the same draft in 2015:

Still on list:
2015 - Howe, Treloar, Sier, Phillips, Wills
2016 - WHE, Mayne, C. Brown, J. Daicos, Lynch
2017 - Madgen, Stephenson, Murphy, T. Brown, Appleby, Mihocek
2018 - Beams, Roughead, Quaynor, Kelly, Bosenavulagi, Keane, Tohill, Noble

No longer on list:
2015 - Aish, Crocker, J. Smith, Golds, Wyatt
2016 - Dunn, Wells, McLarty, Kirby, McCarthy, Schade, Mackie
2017 - Murray
2018 - NA

So for Carlton, 28 of 53 players drafted/traded in the previous four seasons remain on the list. Amazingly, only 5 of 12 from to 2017 draft/trade period remain! 28 from 53 is a strike rate of 52.8%.

Meanwhile, at Collingwood, 24 from 37 players drafted/traded in the previous four seasons remain on the list. That is 64.8%.

We could dive a bit deeper for some more detailed analysis and learn that only one of the 25 delisted Carlton players that had been recruited by SOS has been picked up by another club.

Meanwhile, of the 13 players at Collingwood:
- Aish and Crocker have since found new homes;
- Smith had some time at West Coast;
- Dunn and Wells were both best 22 but succumbed to injury;
- Kirby retired due to heart issues;
- Murray ASADA.

Thank you.

Last edited:

OK, so I know it's the Carlton way for a Carlton official/player/supporter to make a comment, and the disciples take it and run with it as fact, but it is time to quash this ridiculous statement as the trash that it is...

The great SOS commenced a List Manager at Carlton in 2015, with his trading/drafting history as follows:

Still on list:
2018 - McGovern, Newman, Setterfield, Owies, Walsh, Stocker, O'Dwyer, B. Silvagni, Goddard, Cottrell, Gibbons

No longer on list:
2015 - Kerridge, Lamb, Phillips, Sumner, Gorringe, Wright, Glass-McCasker, Galluci, Korchek
2018 - Fasolo, Kreuger, McAdam, Bugg, DeLuca

Still on list:

No longer on list:
2017 - Murray
2018 - NA

So for Carlton, 28 of 55 players drafted/traded in the previous four seasons remain on the list. Amazingly, only 5 of 12 from to 2017 draft/trade period remain, with another 5 players recruited by Carlton during the 2018 draft/trade period no longer at the club! 28 from 55 is a strike rate of 50.9%.

Meanwhile, at Collingwood, 24 from 37 players drafted/traded in the previous four seasons remain on the list. That is 64.8%.

We could dive a bit deeper for some more detailed analysis and learn that not one of the 27 delisted Carlton players that had been recruited by SOS has been picked up by another club.

- Murray ASADA.

Thank you.

Yeah I too remember when Kreuger and McAdam played for Carlton and Phillips is not on another AFL list at this point in time.

Also if you look purely at players retained (which you should considering Carlton had to bring in 20+ extra guys because the list was so awful in 2014), more of SOS's selections have been retained.

Yeah I too remember when Kreuger and McAdam played for Carlton and Phillips is not on another AFL list at this point in time.

Also if you look purely at players retained (which you should considering Carlton had to bring in 20+ extra guys because the list was so awful in 2014), more of SOS's selections have been retained.
I stand corrected with Phillips - 1 from 27 exits from Carlton have found their way onto another AFL list.

I don't get your point about Kreuger and McAdam - they were both prelisted last year.

Your point about number of players retained is laughable.

I stand corrected with Phillips - 1 from 27 exits from Carlton have found their way onto another AFL list.

I don't get your point about Kreuger and McAdam - they were both prelisted last year.

Your point about number of players retained is laughable.

Not sure how you remotely view it as laughable.

Carlton considering all the turnover over the last 5 years had to bring in far more players each year than other clubs (as shown by the 55 vs 37 numbers). If 65% of the players picked up over this time were to still be retained by the club it means ~ 36 players from SOSs time would still be on the list. Essentially you are suggesting that Carlton should have retained the equivalent amount of players, that Collingwood totally acquired in that period of time.

Rather than trying to use some stupid % retained thing, have a look at the 28 and 27 players and just see how many of them are now best 22. Because I counted atleast 15+ for Carlton and 10 if that for Collingwood.

How many high draft picks has this bloke had access to over the years? Any nuffy could successfully overhaul a list when they’re gifted top ten picks every season. The top end of the draft basically picks itself. You earn your money as a recruiter when you pluck good players from the later rounds/rookie picks. Richmond recruited four premiership players from the 2015 rookie draft alone. How many players in Carlton’s best 22 were drafted outside of the first round? That’s the difference right there.

It’s amazing to think that this guy has had his arse wiped by the system for so long, yet still can’t get Carlton out of the bottom four. The sad thing is, they’re still being carried by their older blokes. Murphy, Kreuzer, E. Curnow, Jones, Simpson and even Daisy Thomas were regularly in their best players last season. Now Betts joins as their best small forward. Crikey.

I don’t see any reason for Carlton fans to be optimistic. A lot of them think if you keep stockpiling your list with top ten draft picks you will eventually become successful. It doesn’t work that way. Carlton should’ve learned from Melbourne’s rebuilding strategy. Tanking, bottoming out for sustained periods, establishing a losing culture, recruiting individuals over selfless role players, etc. is not a recipe for success.

When in strife, weak clubs like Carlton and Melbourne look to the outside for assistance, whereas strong clubs like Richmond and Collingwood look within. It’s no coincidence Melbourne and Carlton are bottom four teams, whereas Richmond and Collingwood are top four teams. The latter two clubs know there’s more to building a list than scrounging together first round draft picks and thinking job well done.

But anyway, Carlton fans seem to be stoked with the work this guy has done, so good on them. But as it stands, they’re probably the most deluded supporter base on this website. I’m guessing they’ll all retreat back to their boards with their tails between their legs when the real stuff starts. There’s nothing more amusing than an off-season chest puff from the old Carlton faithful. It’s now getting to “They know we’re coming” levels of sickening arrogance. We’re all waiting.

How many high draft picks has this bloke had access to over the years? Any nuffy could successfully overhaul a list when they’re gifted top ten picks every season. The top end of the draft basically picks itself. You earn your money as a recruiter when you pluck good players from the later rounds/rookie picks. Richmond recruited four premiership players from the 2015 rookie draft alone. How many players in Carlton’s best 22 were drafted outside of the first round? That’s the difference right there.

It’s amazing to think that this guy has had his arse wiped by the system for so long, yet still can’t get Carlton out of the bottom four. The sad thing is, they’re still being carried by their older blokes. Murphy, Kreuzer, E. Curnow, Jones, Simpson and even Daisy Thomas were regularly in their best players last season. Now Betts joins as their best small forward. Crikey.

I don’t see any reason for Carlton fans to be optimistic. A lot of them think if you keep stockpiling your list with top ten draft picks you will eventually become successful. It doesn’t work that way. Carlton should’ve learned from Melbourne’s rebuilding strategy. Tanking, bottoming out for sustained periods, establishing a losing culture, recruiting individuals over selfless role players, etc. is not a recipe for success.

When in strife, weak clubs like Carlton and Melbourne look to the outside for assistance, whereas strong clubs like Richmond and Collingwood look within. It’s no coincidence Melbourne and Carlton are bottom four teams, whereas Richmond and Collingwood are top four teams. The latter two clubs know there’s more to building a list than scrounging together first round draft picks and thinking job well done.

But anyway, Carlton fans seem to be stoked with the work this guy has done, so good on them. But as it stands, they’re probably the most deluded supporter base on this website. I’m guessing they’ll all retreat back to their boards with their tails between their legs when the real stuff starts. There’s nothing more amusing than an off-season chest puff from the old Carlton faithful. It’s now getting to “They know we’re coming” levels of sickening arrogance. We’re all waiting.

I too remember all the finals Richmond won in the first 5 years of Rance, Martin, Cotchin, Riewoldt's careers. It is very obvious that all the Carlton guys drafted since 2015 should be completely written off now as 22 year olds and younger, because they are never going to achieve anything.

Ha, school holidays have started already.

I too remember all the finals Richmond won in the first 5 years of Rance, Martin, Cotchin, Riewoldt's careers. It is very obvious that all the Carlton guys drafted since 2015 should be completely written off now as 22 year olds and younger, because they are never going to achieve anything.
Are you seriously comparing the young players on your list to the likes of Martin, Cotchin, Riewoldt and Rance? Do you honestly think they hold that potential? Who is your future duel premiership captain/Brownlow medalist? Who is your future 3 x Coleman medalist? Who is your future Brownlow medalist/dual Norm Smith medalist? Who is your future AA captain/key defender who will be regarded as arguably the greatest defender of the modern era? As much as you want to be, you’re not Richmond, so don’t you dare mention our superstars with your nobodies in the same breath again.

Martin also played two finals in his first five seasons. Cripps is heading into his 7th season next year and you’re nowhere near it. And five years you say? You need ANOTHER five years before you start playing finals? Cripps will be 25 before the season starts. He’ll be banged up and thirty by the time your kids find their feet at AFL level (if they ever do). He can’t carry your midfield into his thirties. It’s funny, because once Cripps peaked, Murphy became over the hill, who was in your previous “They know we’re coming” rebuild. You guys have been rebuilding for that long, your previous number one draft picks are nearing the end of their careers!

And the same thing is likely to happen again. That’s exactly why you can’t just linger on the bottom for a decade stockpiling high draft picks. You need to get your age profile correct on your list so you can eventually mount a challenge. You have failed miserably in that regard and your fans just don’t get it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still on list:

No longer on list:
2018 - Fasolo, Kreuger, McAdam, Bugg, DeLuca

Still on list:

No longer on list:
2017 - Murray
2018 - NA

So for Carlton, 28 of 55 players drafted/traded in the previous four seasons remain on the list. Amazingly, only 5 of 12 from to 2017 draft/trade period remain, with another 5 players recruited by Carlton during the 2018 draft/trade period no longer at the club! 28 from 55 is a strike rate of 50.9%.

We could dive a bit deeper for some more detailed analysis and learn that only one of the 27 delisted Carlton players that had been recruited by SOS has been picked up by another club.

- Murray ASADA.

Thank you.

For starters - Macadam and Kreuger were never on the list - they were prelisted/allocated to us due to a mature age compo pick that the AFL gave us, which we immediately on-traded elsewhere. They were never officially on our list nor set foot in the footy club. That brings Carlton's % up to 52.8%. I won't mention the fact you used them as examples of 'turnover' but failed to mention that they have ended up at other clubs. Let's just leave that entire part of your post out because it's ******* embarrassing.

This leaves Carlton at 52.8% (28/53 players) and Collingwood at your 64.8% (24/37 players)

: I believe Keeffe was re-drafted after his drug ban then delisted in 2017 - any reason why you didn't mention him?
2017: You failed to mention Oxley - who was re-drafted, then delisted at the end of the year.

Firstly I'll apologise for stuffing up my initial post as I wasn't taking into account a few on the updated Collingwood rookie list. However taking into account the above, this leaves.

Carlton: 52.8% (28/53 players) vs Collingwood: 61.5% (24/39 players).

Our list turnover is higher by a whopping 8.7% - and we have been publicly stating we are rebuilding and turning the list over. The 'revolving door' you speak of is the same, or very similar to the revolving door of a lot of AFL clubs. More players don't make it than make it, more picks are wasted than used efficiently.

As for talking up the players Collingwood have delisted (yet you mentioned Aish? Lol). I can do that too.

Bugg - retired for career progression (some fraud instagram influence business).
Pickett - about to get picked up by WCE.
Wright - was our leading goalkicker and retired to take up role with Adelaide
McDaid - retired to go back to Ireland.

Are you seriously comparing the young players on your list to the likes of Martin, Cotchin, Riewoldt and Rance? Do you honestly think they hold that potential? Who is your future duel premiership captain/Brownlow medalist? Who is your future 3 x Coleman medalist? Who is your future Brownlow medalist/dual Norm Smith medalist? Who is your future AA captain/key defender who will be regarded as arguably the greatest defender of the modern era? As much as you want to be, you’re not Richmond, so don’t you dare mention our superstars with your nobodies in the same breath again.

Martin also played two finals in his first five seasons. Cripps is heading into his 7th season next year and you’re nowhere near it. And five years you say? You need ANOTHER five years before you start playing finals? Cripps will be 25 before the season starts. He’ll be banged up and thirty by the time your kids find their feet at AFL level (if they ever do). He can’t carry your midfield into his thirties. It’s funny, because once Cripps peaked, Murphy became over the hill, who was in your previous “They know we’re coming” rebuild. You guys have been rebuilding for that long, your previous number one draft picks are nearing the end of their careers!

And the same thing is likely to happen again. That’s exactly why you can’t just linger on the bottom for a decade stockpiling high draft picks. You need to get your age profile correct on your list so you can eventually mount a challenge. You have failed miserably in that regard and your fans just don’t get it.

Yeah I remember at the end of 2016 when Richmond finished 13th, everyone just knew they were going to win their first final in 16 years and also go on to win 2 of the next 3 flags.

The point is that anyone who even remotely tries to reach a conclusion on what SOS has done at this stage when every single player he's drafted is still under 22 it's quite frankly deluded.

For starters - Macadam and Kreuger were never on the list - they were prelisted/allocated to us due to a mature age compo pick that the AFL gave us, which we immediately on-traded elsewhere. They were never officially on our list nor set foot in the footy club. That brings Carlton's % up to 52.8%. I won't mention the fact you used them as examples of 'turnover' but failed to mention that they have ended up at other clubs. Let's just leave that entire part of your post out because it's ******* embarrassing.

This leaves Carlton at 52.8% (28/53 players) and Collingwood at your 64.8% (24/37 players)

: I believe Keeffe was re-drafted after his drug ban then delisted in 2017 - any reason why you didn't mention him?
2017: You failed to mention Oxley - who was re-drafted, then delisted at the end of the year.

Firstly I'll apologise for stuffing up my initial post as I wasn't taking into account a few on the updated Collingwood rookie list. However taking into account the above, this leaves.

Carlton: 52.8% (28/53 players) vs Collingwood: 61.5% (24/39 players).

Our list turnover is higher by a whopping 8.7% - and we have been publicly stating we are rebuilding and turning the list over. The 'revolving door' you speak of is the same, or very similar to the revolving door of a lot of AFL clubs. More players don't make it than make it, more picks are wasted than used efficiently.

As for talking up the players Collingwood have delisted (yet you mentioned Aish? Lol). I can do that too.

Bugg - retired for career progression (some fraud instagram influence business).
Pickett - about to get picked up by WCE.
Wright - was our leading goalkicker and retired to take up role with Adelaide
McDaid - retired to go back to Ireland.
Do you agree that everyone gets it wrong sometimes?

Why are you trying to embarrass someone when you got your figures so horribly wrong, don't you think you're the one that embarrassed them self?

Do you agree that everyone gets it wrong sometimes?

Why are you trying to embarrass someone when you got your figures so horribly wrong, don't you think you're the one that embarrassed them self?
After I posted it I encouraged him to re-check it for me, which he did. I said I was wrong and apologised for it.. Not sure there's too much to be embarrassed about? It's Bigfooty dude.

I'm pretty sure this bloke didn't follow Richmond before 2017 lol.

Yeah I remember at the end of 2016 when Richmond finished 13th, everyone just knew they were going to win their first final in 16 years and also go on to win 2 of the next 3 flags.

The point is that anyone who even remotely tries to reach a conclusion on what SOS has done at this stage when every single player he's drafted is still under 22 it's quite frankly deluded.
Richmond played finals three seasons prior to that and everyone with a clue knew we had the talent. We just didn’t have the game plan. We didn’t become a good list overnight. Hardwick (in)famously praised our list in 2016 and was widely criticised for it. We had the foundation there to eventually launch an assault on the finals as we had been showing good signs for years. We regularly beat Hawthorn throughout their golden years, we won nine in a row to make finals in 2014 and at our best, we were very good. In 2016 we went backwards largely due to Hardwick trying to implement a Hawthorn style game plan that we couldn’t pull off, so we started playing to our strengths. We switched things up and the rest is history.

Carlton have showed literally nothing of recent times. Your highlight this year was beating Fremantle FFS. Your coach is apparently a genius, as is your list manager and a few wins against some ordinary teams and you’re all of a sudden bound to have a Brisbane like surge up the ladder.

And of course anything can happen with any list. We can only judge on the past and present. As it stands, SOS has had more misses than hits and that’s why he’ll be out of a job soon. Gone. Done. Finito.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back