What are Carlton playing at?

Remove this Banner Ad

This article talks about what allegedly happened.

"The Blues were keen to get down to pick six and probably grab Hayden Young.
The Blues thought the handshake agreement was for pick nine and their future second round pick for pick six.
Adelaide thought differently. When the moment came to do a deal Crows list manager Justin Reid rang Stephen Silvagni and said the deal was for pick nine and Carlton’s future first, not their future second. Silvagni was, well, displeased.
Adelaide says they never had a firm deal on the terms of a trade, just an agreement that if they were to do deal with anyone over pick six it would be with Carlton. The Blues saw it differently.
The Crows figured they were too exposed with only a future second round pick as inducement because there was still a chance McAsey would not be there at nine. While they were sure the Dockers wouldn’t take him they were suspicious, then increasingly worried that Geelong - who were very keen on McAsey – would trade with Fremantle to get into pick eight and take him before them.

So the deal was off. Carlton quickly moved on to Plan B. But for Plan B they needed to buy themselves more time so they bid on Liam Henry and then on Tom Green. They were sure both bids would be matched – certainly the Green bid would be because GWS had previously figured a bid for Green could come very early in the draft – but they also expected the Dockers to match Henry."

I actually have exclusive footage of draft night that covers this.

I like the idea another poster(forget who) came up with that you should only get to bid on ONE player from another academy with your pick. That way Carlton’s shenanigans couldn’t happen again. Bidding to buy time makes a mockery of the process. I honestly don’t know why we didn’t bid on Green to save some deficit points either!

I like the idea another poster(forget who) came up with that you should only get to bid on ONE player from another academy with your pick. That way Carlton’s shenanigans couldn’t happen again. Bidding to buy time makes a mockery of the process. I honestly don’t know why we didn’t bid on Green to save some deficit points either!
It's possible we didn't rate Green as highly as we rated either of our selections. We wouldn't bid if we rated others higher in case it wasn't matched. We didn't know how he's rated at GWS. Carlton knew we rated Henry top 10 as we traded to get in front of them.

The Blues thought the handshake agreement was for pick nine and their future second round pick for pick six.
Adelaide thought differently. When the moment came to do a deal Crows list manager Justin Reid rang Stephen Silvagni and said the deal was for pick nine and Carlton’s future first, not their future second. Silvagni was, well, displeased.
Adelaide says they never had a firm deal on the terms of a trade, just an agreement that if they were to do deal with anyone over pick six it would be with Carlton. The Blues saw it differently.

The blues have rocks in their head. Why would Adelaide trade down 3 picks for a future 2nd? They would literally lose points on that deal.

Pretty certain if situations were reversed this board would be full of popped collar memes for Bell defending him. Carlton rated Henry and simply asked the question which is how the system is supposed to work.
I don't understand why they wouldn't of rated Green higher than Henry. Smacks of sour grapes after we took Young

The Crows figured they were too exposed with only a future second round pick as inducement because there was still a chance McAsey would not be there at nine. While they were sure the Dockers wouldn’t take him they were suspicious, then increasingly worried that Geelong - who were very keen on McAsey – would trade with Fremantle to get into pick eight and take him before them.

So the deal was off. Carlton quickly moved on to Plan B. But for Plan B they needed to buy themselves more time so they bid on Liam Henry and then on Tom Green. They were sure both bids would be matched – certainly the Green bid would be because GWS had previously figured a bid for Green could come very early in the draft – but they also expected the Dockers to match Henry."

That article is fascinating. I wonder what the trade with Geelong was going to be. So basically Adelaide renegging on a handshake agreement got us Hayden Young

That article is fascinating. I wonder what the trade with Geelong was going to be. So basically Adelaide renegging on a handshake agreement got us Hayden Young

no Carlton being *******s and holding Gibbs a year too long, which cost the Crows a flag, ultimately blew up in their face. I’m sure Crows remember the ******* around with Gibbs. And perhaps returned the favour.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back