News Jack Dyer loses 1932 B&F .

Remove this Banner Ad

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Emmett Dunne can't find evidence of an award that year. Dyer's son 'very dissapointed'.

Rhett Bartlett has been saying this for years. I guess it's only now that it's been made official, following a club investigation.

Not sure why Dyer's relatives would be dirty, it doesn't diminish his standing or influence.

Perhaps there's been a bit of a spat between the Dyer & Bartlett families as a result.

1932 was the year Dyer suffered a serious knee injury that left him unable to turn at speed. He didn't play after Round 11, casting doubt on whether he would've won a hypothetical b&f, although he did finish equal 5th in the Brownlow with 12 votes.

It's best to also publish Richmond's statement released tonight.
The changes affect multiple pre WWII recipients

I think the family have a point if he's had that award for 80 years. Plus there was the captain wearing number 17 which Cotchin stopped.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why was the investigation called for? I’m not sure I understand what good it was trying to achieve?

In 2000, Trevor Ruddell (MCC Asst.Librarian), Roland Weeks (Museum Curator), and myself began reviewing the club's minute books and we noticed discrepancies with the Life Membership list (which have been subsequently changed), and then noticed discrepancies with Best and Fairest list.

These players hadn't had the awards for 80 years. They were 'awarded' their Best and Fairest retrospectively in late 1980s
Who was responsible for handing out the retrospective awards in the late 80's?

A bit pedantic I reckon.

If the club decided in the 80s that these blokes deserved to win the best and fairest for those years they should have just left it, and maybe just put an asterisk next those years saying it was awarded retrospectively.
It was clear in the research that the respective awarding was incorrect.

I think the family have a point if he's had that award for 80 years. Plus there was the captain wearing number 17 which Cotchin stopped.

But the award was never made, to the satisfaction of club historians. It's similar to the mythical "Champion of the Colony" award from the early years, for which Vic Thorp was credited as a two-time winner. Turned out it was a retrospective title created by journalists years down the track.

Preserving historical fact is the right thing to do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back