2019 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Lets assume for a minute it is not incompetence and little bit of bad luck

The way I see it is as follows

I think Dodoro screwed them hard and we exploited an opportunity to really shove the knife in.

Getting a bid at 37 on Coleman was way earlier than they anticipated. This means they had to use all their picks except the one they had reserved for the west Australian ,Prior, this may be to help appease Robertson who is another W.A boy who is considered a big flight risk. They may of expected a bid 10 draft picks later, so they used all their points for Coleman and exposed their other academy players to being poached. They assumed that these guys at worst could be just added as rookies. If they had reserved a couple of picks in the 50s they would have had enough points to keep both boys

In any case we must have ranked Martin , their captain and MVP, and Cumberland who was good enough to play 5 games in their premiership winning NEAFL side very highly . If these two boys make it, and there is no need to doubt our recruiting team, and they suit our game plan perfectly, we will be the most despised AFL club in the league by far.

What a time to be alive.

Agree totally blaisee with you
We did rank Martin, and Cumberland highly and it was just bad luck that the lions had both this year up for drafting
The academies are there for 1)player development, 2)all clubs, not just their home states have access to them via the bidding system
We sometimes forget that it's about list management, year after year, we pick certain players that will hopefully IMPROVE our list going forward
I can understand supporters disappointment in not drafting/rating media spruiked phantom draft players, but that isn't what the business is about
The comments that have been given by Matt Clarke our recruiting manager is "we picked players according to OUR ranking order and are paid to bring in those players for the RICHMOND FOOTBALL CLUB"
Not for the media hype or what so called newspaper experts call best players available, so don't get too down we didn't get Robertson, Bianco etc
Each club has different needs/wants for the FUTURE, as that's what the draft is mainly about
Heck they could be all busts, but they all could be important pieces of our future as well
go tigers

We did rank Martin, and Cumberland highly and it was just bad luck that the lions had both this year up for drafting
The academies are there for 1)player development, 2)all clubs, not just their home states have access to them via the bidding system
We sometimes forget that it's about list management, year after year, we pick certain players that will hopefully IMPROVE our list going forward
I can understand supporters disappointment in not drafting/rating media spruiked phantom draft players, but that isn't what the business is about
The comments that have been given by Matt Clarke our recruiting manager is "we picked players according to OUR ranking order and are paid to bring in those players for the RICHMOND FOOTBALL CLUB"
Not for the media hype or what so called newspaper experts call best players available, so don't get too down we didn't get Robertson, Bianco etc
Each club has different needs/wants for the FUTURE, as that's what the draft is mainly about
Heck they could be all busts, but they all could be important pieces of our future as well
go tigers
Voice of reason.

go tigers
Well then! No place for Matt Clarke on Big Footy...

I don’t like our strategy of just bidding on anyone’s academy if that’s what they were doing.
It’s odd because I haven’t thought this in years, but it doesn’t feel like we have done enough homework heading to this draft. Since about 2014-2015 to last year, it really felt like we were well researched and prepared but I don’t get that vibe this year.
Don't forget though that we bid on Eric Hipwood in 2015 before the Lions matched us. We ended up with Daniel Rioli in his stead, so there's a successful precedent there for us.

can someone ecplain the trade with Collingwood to me?
Did we move spots and then just exchange 2nd rounder for 2020?
Or did they give us something else?
If it's the former, then we could potentially have moved DOWN both drafts?
I think that's been clarified by a few posters now to be an Aints pick, and I thought it was stated during the coverage. Or maybe it was just in a text I got from a mate at the time.

Asked to rate Richmond's draft, Mick Ablett reads out the names of the players we drafted and mentions Biggie is Sudanese.
He just looked flummoxed, didn't he. Gave us nothing.

many thought it might be a good idea to draft Cripps over Lennon

they club as good but they get it wrong sometimes

looks like a underwhelming effort, hopefully proven wrong.
I remember the melts on this page when we took Jack Riewoldt before James Sellar too, as many had Sellar rated in the Top 6 that draft. What happens is that these names get included in a bunch of phantom drafts - usually legitimately, as they're great young footballers - and the hype becomes reality. I like that we are drafting players who will be superior when they are 24 years of age, rather than just Rising Star nominees in their first year of AFL.

Love the speed of all the players we have picked up here.

There is definitely a certain type we are after.

Looking forward to seeing the develop and grow!
yes, you can see speed is a requirement. in the highlights there is a fair bit, of one of our recruits taking a bounce and running away from the chaser.

Don't forget though that we bid on Eric Hipwood in 2015 before the Lions matched us. We ended up with Daniel Rioli in his stead, so there's a successful precedent there for us.

I think that's been clarified by a few posters now to be an Aints pick, and I thought it was stated during the coverage. Or maybe it was just in a text I got from a mate at the time.

I remember the melts on this page when we took Jack Riewoldt before James Sellar too, as many had Sellar rated in the Top 6 that draft. What happens is that these names get included in a bunch of phantom drafts - usually legitimately, as they're great young footballers - and the hype becomes reality. I like that we are drafting players who will be superior when they are 24 years of age, rather than just Rising Star nominees in their first year of AFL.
Even the great Weaver was absolutely livid about taking jR8

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe Weaver got a job in recruiting with an AFL club. He was the original and the best amateur draft expert
He did.
I respected his opinion a lot but even the best get it wrong sometimes.

HUGO RALPHSMITH

Hugo Ralphsmith's NAB AFL Draft Combine was a clear reminder to recruiters of his athletic attributes.
But his coach at Haileybury College in Melbourne's school system, Essendon champion Matthew Lloyd, didn’t need his memory refreshed in regard to Ralphsmith's qualities.
"He [polarises] people and they're unsure about him, but I look at his athleticism, his speed and his ability to go to full forward and take marks on the lead," Lloyd said recently.
"He runs like Isaac Smith and he'll run for you all day long…he's a guy who could be anything at AFL level."
Clubs know the 17-year-old wingman/forward can do some special things.
He can outrun nearly anyone (Ralphsmith finished fifth in the Combine's 2km time trial, running 6:12 minutes) and can also leap high and take spectacular grabs (he was equal fifth in the running vertical jump test).

Mathew Lloyd

Even the great Weaver was absolutely livid about taking jR8
He also rated Masten as better than Cotchin.

Bishop lost his s**t when we took Shai Bolton as well. He was rated a first rounder and we took him at pick 29 and he still wasn't happy!
Who did Bishop want? How anyone could be upset at getting one of the most exciting talents of the 2016 draft at 29 is beyond me. Bishop hated Powell-Pepper, I remember that.

A lot of these 'draft experts' footy knowledge comes entirely from watching it. They don't know what to look for and only see the obvious. Knightmare is 14 years old ffs and everyone treats him like a guru because he generates reams of content. The bloke's good at self-promotion, that's about it. Would have played about as much footy as Whateley.

To be fair I think they stuffed the order as they were going alphabetically and then suddenly had us ahead of Port and you could see Morris sort of stop and apologise to him for putting him on the spot.

There's a reason why EVERY single club (in every sport on the planet) has drafting blunders, it's because there are so many variables and it isn't an exact science! You do your due diligence as best as you can but you cannot account for everything, human development (especially in sport) is not linear and never will be.

This is why it's pretty funny to see the meltdowns on Draft Night when people's objections are based on highlight videos and phantom drafts.

Everyone needs to relax and enjoy the ride. I for one look forward to watching these kids development in the VFL with RCD, CCJ and co. Good times.

and he was a bit up himself
However, he did tip me Rockliff in 2007, when he was eligible as a 17-year-old but didn't get drafted until the pre-season draft a year later. He tipped me Cal Ward the same year as someone we should target with the pick we ended up trading for McMahon. That was when Ward was barely on the radar. And guess where he went? With the pick we traded for McMahon!

Weaver made his blues but he was streets ahead of any of the amateurs (I include Knightmare as an amateur) these days. Snoop Dog is one of the better ones.

He also rated Masten as better than Cotchin.

Who did Bishop want? How anyone could be upset at getting one of the most exciting talents of the 2016 draft at 29 is beyond me. Bishop hated Powell-Pepper, I remember that.

A lot of these 'draft experts' footy knowledge comes entirely from watching it. They don't know what to look for and only see the obvious. Knightmare is 14 years old ffs and everyone treats him like a guru because he generates reams of content. The bloke's good at self-promotion, that's about it. Would have played about as much footy as Whateley.

Ah yes Knightmare (Chris Doerre), the so called expert who goes on and on about who HE would have picked and his famous power rankings
I wonder what the club lists would look like if everyone picked Doerre's fabled picks = s**t
The guy is a self opinionated bore fest

However, he did tip me Rockliff in 2007, when he was eligible as a 17-year-old but didn't get drafted until the pre-season draft a year later. He tipped me Cal Ward the same year as someone we should target with the pick we ended up trading for McMahon. That was when Ward was barely on the radar. And guess where he went? With the pick we traded for McMahon!

Weaver made his blues but he was streets ahead of any of the amateurs (I include Knightmare as an amateur) these days. Snoop Dog is one of the better ones.

masten over cotchin was a heinous error

Remove this Banner Ad

Back