Past #1: Jack Mahony - drafted w #34 in '17 ND - delisted end '23 - 40 NM games/17 NM goals - thx Mahns

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I've watched this bloke play a few times this year. We're getting a clever small forward who excels at reading the play and the ball, who can kick a goal and who has fantastic footy smarts. The comparisons to Jack Higgins are real and are fair.

Anyone that says he's just another Kayne Turner because he doesn't have elite pace are wrong. Mahony is a very smart player who far exceeds our other small forwards in this aspect; he's a great kick, a great decision maker and he was a captain at junior and school level. What's not to love?

Instead of drafting an athlete that needs to learn how to play football, we've drafted a footballer. He'll be playing by 2021 at the latest. Look for him to even potentially debut next year if injuries strike; he's already stronger and more ready for the AFL game than Curtis Taylor is. Couldn't be happier about this pick.

Welcome Jack. You'll be a fantastic Shinboner and will be one of our small forwards for our next Premiership tilt.

Great write up thanks. Peeps better get used to us no longer drafting *knuckleheads or players with suspect skills, we've cornered the market in both areas and won't do it again.

*Cannot follow instruction or read the game

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Great write up thanks. Peeps better get used to us no longer drafting *knuckleheads or players with suspect skills, we've cornered the market in both areas and won't do it again.

*Cannot follow instruction or read the game
That's a good point. Everyone this year, Bonar included, has either average skills for their position or its a standout part of their game.

Red lining maybe. Certainly doesn't look slow from the highlights..

He seems to have intent and aggression, these factors tend to be more important than pure speed in most circumstances. Atley has speed but he is reactive and hesitant, it is why he doesn't chase down people like he could. Zurhaar isn't fast either but he also has intent and aggression, he reminds me a lot of Archer who played with aggression. You can go a long way without being the ultimate athlete, but if you don't have intent and aggression it can severely limit your career.

I hope playing on the forward line with Zurhaar he takes it to another level.

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
That's a good point. Everyone this year, Bonar included, has either average skills for their position or its a standout part of their game.

Just a couple of things for the masses, one of the 'knocks' on Brad was that he wouldn't speak with the young players or actually anyone outside of his circle. So to see Shaw attend a youngsters house is another slap.

And North know that our small or mid sized forwards do not get involved enough in the game. So it's no surprise we've drafted a youngster like this. I just think we're going to surprise a lot of pundits over the next few years.

74693411_113058393300696_6288365208157883933_n.jpg

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
He's going to be a powerful little unit in time.

Give him another 5 months of weights this pre-season and he's probably already physically right to go in all honesty.

I think he's definitely the most likely to debut out of the new recruits in 2020.

Turner vs Mahony is certainly going to be an interesting pre-season battle given Kayne's lack of offensive output and Jack's very high goal assist and score involvement numbers.

Last edited:
Back