List Mgmt. 2019 Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep we need more mature bodies on top of bruce and keath ready to play, rather than bringing in more young kids. We have enough kids developing in the magoos.
We made the top 8, we should be making moves to challenge the tigers for the premership.

Hard disagree. Take mature talent if it's there but don't take it for the sake of taking it. That's how you end up like Geelong is now. Good but never great with no replacements for their oldies in a few years. If we can keep finding young talent we'll have a generation after our current core finishes up. Part of the post-2016 problem was that we didn't have replacements ready and we needed to hit the draft to find them.

Yep we need more mature bodies on top of bruce and keath ready to play, rather than bringing in more young kids. We have enough kids developing in the magoos.
We made the top 8, we should be making moves to challenge the tigers for the premership.
Another pre season for
Bont
MacCrae
Dunkley
McLean etc

Add back Limbs, Wallis etc

Mature bodies come overtime with development just as much as trading them in. All of our young premiership players are at least in their 5th pre season. What we did need was mature bodied Pop's as these take longer to develop and for the first time in a long time we did trade one in each end

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'd expect a few of our second tier midfielders to be looking elsewhere next year - especially guys like McLean. Should be looking to turn that into more experienced bodies and not wasting the opportunity by drafting more youth. Still a year away though, plenty can happen in 2020 and I think we're every chance to win it all this year with the additions of Keath and Bruce, which makes me confident that every single game next year is winnable
I really hope we don't lose McLean... he and B smith were part of that fwd group that averaged 115 points for the last 5 games.
With the addition of bruce i don't want to mess with that fwd structure. How long has it been since the dogs have had a potent fwd line.

I get that we have younger guys as defensive depth, but that's not the point I am making.

Clearly with all of our first choice midsize defenders from last year's final being 26-31, they will start to leave our list in the next few years. Probably Suckers this year, Wood in 2021 and Duryea in 2-3 years.

Some of the 2019 depth guys like La Young and Williams will fill some of that void, some depth like Lynch, R.Smith,vKhamis won't.

Either way, the seeming big depth pool of 2019 will recede in the coming years without replenishment.

Next year, we probably take 3 forward/mids in Jamarra, MacPherson and Raak.

From this point of view, considering how the list may look in 2-3 years, it surprises me that people were melting that 1 of our 5 recruits would be a guy who has predominantly played as a mid defender.
Your time line is probably correct but looking at your comment above in another way, teams like Geelong and Hawthorn don't appear to worry about carrying several players in this age group. They are successful consistently with older types and when the need arises they just replace them by trading. They usually operate in the here and now rather than thinking 2 or 3 years in the future. But, I take your main point that drafting young replacements to develop in the wings is good policy.

Your time line is probably correct but looking at your comment above in another way, teams like Geelong and Hawthorn don't appear to worry about carrying several players in this age group. They are successful consistently with older types and when the need arises they just replace them by trading. They usually operate in the here and now rather than thinking 2 or 3 years in the future. But, I take your main point that drafting young replacements to develop in the wings is good policy.
Don't disagree. I'm not saying it's a bad thing or a problem that the majority of our first choice small/medium defenders are late 20s/early 30s. An experienced, established core down back is a positive

Just saying that if you look at this segment of our list compared to, say, our inside mids, it shouldn't be a surprise that we are padding our pool of potential replacements for the coming few years.

We nailed the trade period, but i still think we could of added some more physical
We killed it in the trade period... super stoked with powers efforts.
But skill side aside, we drafted 3 young kids with an average height of 178 cm and an average weight of 72 kgs.
Now caleb is firmly entrenched in the squad, how many more slight kids can we play without some serious match up problems start to form across the ground.

Richmond has a couple of small dudes but they have a lot of big mature bodies.
This is who we have to go though to get the cup.
We already match up well against Richmond

I really hope we don't lose McLean... he and B smith were part of that fwd group that averaged 115 points for the last 5 games.
With the addition of bruce i don't want to mess with that fwd structure. How long has it been since the dogs have had a potent fwd line.
McLean's footy IQ is one of his stronger points, and I think his contested game is pretty underrated. I just feel he could end up exploring further opportunity due to the squeeze of spots. No one will touch the big 3 (Bont, Macrae, Dunkley) but we then have Libba, Wallis, Lipinski, Smith and McLean all competing for maybe 3 spots. Add West to that mix, and it wouldn't surprise me if someone is lost to explore more opportunity.

McLean's footy IQ is one of his stronger points, and I think his contested game is pretty underrated. I just feel he could end up exploring further opportunity due to the squeeze of spots. No one will touch the big 3 (Bont, Macrae, Dunkley) but we then have Libba, Wallis, Lipinski, Smith and McLean all competing for maybe 3 spots. Add West to that mix, and it wouldn't surprise me if someone is lost to explore more opportunity.
I'd play Mclean over Wally, and suspect Libba's in decline (poor knees) - so that already puts him on the ground. Then if you throw in an inevitable injury and we actually need him. I'd be disappointed to lose him. But do understand he could be an unqualified lock at other clubs so could look around

I think it comes from the fact at the start of the year the doggies were the 5th youngest team and we got mauled by the plastics in the elimination final where they were physically bigger and more experienced than us.
There were some good quality mature agers at the end of the draft and we come away with 3 small young kids.
Perhaps we thought that mature bodies are best traded for and not just left to a hope and a prayer that late draft picks will be best 22 immediately.

Last edited:
Naah, he's expendable. He's only 180cm and 79kg. We need bigger bodies. ;)

Perhaps we thought that mature bodies are best traded for and not just left to a hope and a prayer that laste draft picks will be best 22 immediately.
I thought we haven't done too bad drafting with 3rd rounders/ late picks in the last couple of years.
B Williams
Caleb
B Dale
Le Young
Hayes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only one jumping at shadows is you, where you're consistently calling out people's posts for things they didn't even say in the first place. It's infuriating to not be able to post without a smart-arse exaggeration or misinterpretation coming back the other way.

Hallelujah, feel my pain mate

One of the many that just make cr@p up others have said and run with it.

if9HY5z6Oe-ypy8sMWXNLLg-GdIT7pk6n2qlxskBGkca9jraZP5fIUgh7Y95_xVEw4v-tQpj_kyVgfdErjLpVJLW7BW_lAOmHHe8yrY=w268-h200

2020 is the year i hope ed richards makes a back flank his own.
I also hope vandermeer cracks the senior side on a wing.
I really think Richards will make it. He comes across as a very modest, shy type, so it's easy to see him not demanding the footy and forcing his involvement in his first few years as a new kid at the club. He's so strong already people seem to forget how young he is. Hopefully the confidence hits him this year!

We are in the sweet spot for natural development, and with adding Mature KPP talent in Bruce and Keath gives structure.
Which brings the get out of jail long bomb into play that is not almost guaranteed to get picked off.
Also gives our shiny new recruit opportunity to show his worth crumbing to our Tall timber up front. A lot to look forward to next year exciting possibilities 😁

National Draft (X-men origins, where from flowest the talent):

Sandringham Dragons: 8 x Players drafted. (Inc- Louis Butler)

Oakleigh Chargers: 6 x Players drafted.

Dandenong Stingrays: 5 x Players drafted. (Inc- Cody Weightman)
Gippsland Power: 5 x Players drafted.
Woodville West Torrens: 5 x Players drafted.
East Fremantle: 5 x Players drafted.

Calder Cannons: 4 x Players Drafted.

Bendigo Pioneers: 3 x Players drafted.
Claremont: 3 x Players drafted.
Lions Academy (AKA Richmond Academy): 3 x Players drafted.

West Perth: 2 x Players drafted.
Perth: 2 x Players Drafted.
Norwood: 2 x Players drafted.

GWV Rebels: 1 x Player drafted.
Murray Bushrangers: 1 x Player drafted.
Geelong Falcons: 1 x Player drafted.
Northern Knights: 1 x Player drafted.
Glenelg: 1 x Player drafted.
West Adelaide: 1 x Player drafted.
Adelaide SANFL: 1 x Player drafted.
Swan Districts: 1 x Player drafted. (Was- Riley Garcia)
Subiaco: 1 x Player drafted.
Giants Academy: 1 x Player drafted.
Werribee VFL: 1 x Player drafted.
Scotch OC: 1 x Player drafted.

So there the 65 fortunate souls "National Drafted" in the year of 2019, the year of the "Tiger".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back