2019 Draft thread

Mar 20, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Amazing how people see things differently.

I was sure Dodo was worried we wouldn’t match.

On a slight tangent.

I visited the Richmond board to see what they thought about picking up two of our academy boys.

fmd not going back in there again.

I can't help wondering if dodo took Lachlan at the end out of spite for being snookered by us. :think:

Surprised that Nick Robbo didnt get picked up. Glad for Keays and Walker getting a spot, I knew Walker would find somewhere, hes a good honestly backline player. Keays could get games at Adelaide as well, although he could be a Mayes to Port situation.

Comeback Lions

Premium Platinum
Jul 2, 2017
Sydney
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Sydney Uni Flames
I can't help wondering if dodo took Lachlan at the end out of spite for being snookered by us. :think:
Lachlan in their NGA academy or whatever it’s called. They would have put a lot of work into him and decided before draft night. Spite is fanciful, even Essendon are too professional for that.

Mar 20, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Surprised that Nick Robbo didnt get picked up. Glad for Keays and Walker getting a spot, I knew Walker would find somewhere, hes a good honestly backline player. Keays could get games at Adelaide as well, although he could be a Mayes to Port situation.

Speaks volumes about our list that our delisted and academy guys are in demand at other clubs, simply because we couldn't keep them all.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Lachlan in their NGA academy or whatever it’s called. They would have put a lot of work into him and decided before draft night. Spite is fanciful, even Essendon are too professional for that.
But they didn’t put work into him; it’s been admitted as much, hence why the NGA is a farce.

Mar 20, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

And far too professional to set up an illicit drug program because they believed other teams were already doing it.... wait a minute! ;)

Dodoro might be a lot of things, but you don’t stay in the game as long as he has without being professional. Next to no chance he would let emotion cloud his choice.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Some people reading way too much into a phone call.

Lachie is arguably the biggest name at the club and Dev said he is also one of his favourite players, so the media team obviously teed that up for him.

Harris is the obvious next captain but, for me, if anyone was going to pip him it’d be JBerry.
If Zorks gives the captaincy away in a year or two Neale is a no brainer in my view . Jarrod would be 5 or 6 years behind him. I'd have Lachie over Harris every day of the week ,not knowing what goes internally though I guess.

irish

Premiership Player
Sep 20, 2002
hobart
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NHFC demons & SH/SB sharks
So many if young Johnson had have made it thru to the rookie draft for us , who would have missed out ?

Mar 20, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Dodoro might be a lot of things, but you don’t stay in the game as long as he has without being professional. Next to no chance he would let emotion cloud his choice.

Agree to disagree. How about we nominated LJ as a rookie pick to force Dodo to put him on their main list? Or maybe I should watch less conspiracy shows....

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Amazing how we’ve gone from Ash McGrath to now having 6 indigenous footballers on our list. We were missing out on so much by not recruiting indigenous footballers.
Being the club Sir Douglas Nicholls played for it is about time we should be the logical participant in the Dreamtime game. If not the actual MCG game, perhaps an interstate version v say WC or Freeo?

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So many if young Johnson had have made it thru to the rookie draft for us , who would have missed out ?
Apparently on the news tonight that coz Johnston is injured for this entire season...he will not be taking up a spot on their list although still on it. I dont really understand it but they said it was a master stroke by dedor.

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Some people reading way too much into a phone call.

Lachie is arguably the biggest name at the club and Dev said he is also one of his favourite players, so the media team obviously teed that up for him.

Harris is the obvious next captain but, for me, if anyone was going to pip him it’d be JBerry.

The phone call is just a publicity excercise. The media team would have asked if he was available a couple of days before (along with a couple of other big names) and he would have agreed.

The phone call is just a publicity excercise. The media team would have asked if he was available a couple of days before (along with a couple of other big names) and he would have agreed.
Yep. Corniest event of the recruiting calendar. I can't even watch them any more - cringeworthy...

rangatangtang

Cancelled
Jul 20, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don't reckon it's corny, it's good access if you ask me. If it was insincere then yeah for sure but it's not. Of all the things leaders in organisations are expected to do calling the new guy to say welcome is nothing and all and sundry can see what a great attitude he has

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Apparently on the news tonight that coz Johnston is injured for this entire season...he will not be taking up a spot on their list although still on it. I dont really understand it but they said it was a master stroke by dedor.
The Age Footy podcast talked about Dodoro and Lachie Johnson.

Apparently Dodoro has an issue with the NGA set up, but they wouldn’t expand on it further. He was also pissed that their first pick was being pushed back due to academy bids.

The Age guys said we weren’t happy about Essendon picking Johnson up, and Dodoro while professional, likes to stick the knife in at any opportunity.

Lachie goes straight on to the long term injury list, won’t play this year and doesn’t take up a list spot.

Had we drafted Lachie in the rookie draft, we would of done the same thing, none of our other players would have missed out on being redraft.

charles202

Club Legend
Sep 16, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Felt like we were constantly a pick late through the entire draft, sometimes that happens and the draft doesn’t fall for you- probably should say most times.

However Robertson looks like a genuine beast, Smith at worst will add to an already strong culture and Coleman is a player we knew well and weren’t going to slip by. All I can think of with Prior is the first time he gets called holding the ball and all the bad puns from the commentary box.

Add in the extra first round pick next year albeit no second and we will just keep feeding talent into the squad.

Side note with all the Smiths we now have in the squad can we change our mascot to the gobbledock??

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Felt like we were constantly a pick late through the entire draft, sometimes that happens and the draft doesn’t fall for you- probably should say most times.

However Robertson looks like a genuine beast, Smith at worst will add to an already strong culture and Coleman is a player we knew well and weren’t going to slip by. All I can think of with Prior is the first time he gets called holding the ball and all the bad puns from the commentary box.

Add in the extra first round pick next year albeit no second and we will just keep feeding talent into the squad.
Every one always feels like that, unless you have pick 1. Your always looking at the kids rated ahead of your picks, and hoping one slips through.

Smith is a NRobbo replacement. Hope his decision making is faster.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Briz interesting that you think that Smith is Robbos replacement, must admit I figured more Gardner- feels like all that tape will soon be switched from strapping to duct tape to keep him together. I love the way he goes about it but I fear for Darcy’s longevity.
Yeah, me to. Was a big reason why I really wanted Will Gould on the team. Darcy insurance.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Briz interesting that you think that Smith is Robbos replacement, must admit I figured more Gardner- feels like all that tape will soon be switched from strapping to duct tape to keep him together. I love the way he goes about it but I fear for Darcy’s longevity.
I know it doesn't look flash but seen plenty of guys over the years who were apparently washed up through injury go on to play better later in their careers. These guys are still very young and you can throw most of these things off over time. Darce has hardly had an injury wracked career ,he plays most games , I don't think he has anything chronic, just a matter of strengthening work with his shoulder and a bit of luck.

Back