Universal Love Our list is actually fcken lit, fam *chef kissy fingers*

Remove this Banner Ad

Okay. Where in this 'nucleus' are the centre square mids capable of matching it with the likes of Martin/Cotchin/Prestia or Kelly/Coniglio/Taranto? Where's the future KPF's to match Riewoldt/Lynch or Cameron/Himmelberg/Finlayson? Where's the KPD's to match Rance/Grimes or Davis/Haynes?

We've got a lot of talent but we don't have a 'nucleus'. In typical Port Adelaide fashion we've got the icing but we forgot to bake the cake.

This is my read on our list as well. I think we've done pretty well to build a very good 2nd tier, but we lack players with obvious, top end elite potential apart from Rozee, IMO (new draftees notwithstanding). We've also lacked the ability to turn elite potential into elite footballers during the Hinkley era apart from Wingard, who we forced out.

This is my read on our list as well. I think we've done pretty well to build a very good 2nd tier, but we lack players with obvious, top end elite potential apart from Rozee, IMO (new draftees notwithstanding). We've also lacked the ability to turn elite potential into elite footballers during the Hinkley era apart from Wingard, who we forced out.
Wines, Sam, Houston, Butters, Drew inside, Rozee, Burton, Duursma, DBJ. Others.

Mid is not the issue. Does the mid-talls front and back pay off is the issue.

Wines, Sam, Houston, Butters, Drew inside, Rozee, Burton, Duursma, DBJ. Others.

Mid is not the issue. Does the mid-talls front and back pay off is the issue.

I didn't mention positions, I think our problem is across the ground. We've got a lot of very good players and no elite players under 25 apart from Rozee, but that's potential at the moment. If we want to win flags, we need a bunch of these guys (and at least 2 of Ladhams, Hayes and Marshall) to step up and be perennial AA contenders.

I didn't mention positions, I think our problem is across the ground. We've got a lot of very good players and no elite players under 25 apart from Rozee, but that's potential at the moment. If we want to win flags, we need a bunch of these guys (and at least 2 of Ladhams, Hayes and Marshall) to step up and be perennial AA contenders.
How can we even know that we don’t have any elite players under our noses until our new recruits have a chance to show their wares and potential?

I see potential elite talent in the players I listed. Butters could be anything, he’s so fast of mind. Dan and DBJ are close if not there yet. Burton is a potential star and must come mid.

Rozee, Houston, Duursma, Wines and Powell-Pepper (if they get their acts together), Amon, Mead and Schofield. Possibly Burton pinch hitting. With a very strong ruck contingent forming. I think it can get us there.

How can we even know that we don’t have any elite players under our noses until our new recruits have a chance to show their wares and potential?

Sure, we may have just added 4 elite perennial All Australian types. I can't definitively say that we haven't.

I see potential elite talent in the players I listed. Butters could be anything, he’s so fast of mind. Dan and DBJ are close if not there yet. Burton is a potential star and must come mid.

Burton is great, as is Houston. But they'll both be 23 next year. If they're to be elite footballers, and not just very good footballers, they'll need to have breakout years pretty soon. Chad Wingard was a prodigy, but he was All Australian twice by the time he was Burton's age. If we're talking about them being elite midfielders... between them they've played about half a season in the midfield.

I feel like i'm slating them here, i'm really not. Burton and Houston are two of my favourite players. But I have a huge concern around our ability to turn talent into elite performance.

Outside of Boak and Gray who will contend again next year, who is our next All Australian?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let’s not get all misty eyed and slap on the rose coloured glasses peeps. Players have to develop in their own time. Ups, downs and all the plateau’s. I feel the love the O.P. Has provided and I do agree.

You mean like how people were super scared that GWS was going to be a force and win flag after flag?

Worry about the things you can control, and the rest of it will sort itself out.

Yeah as good as gold coasts list looks, and as much faith as I have in dewy, the reality is gold coast has turned gold to s**t so many times already, and they will be having salary cap pressures incredibly quickly given the contracts they are giving their young guys.

If you think the pressure put on luko by us and the tingles is bad, just think about the ten clubs that have probably already started on Anderson and Flanders

We actually need to start playing mote if the kids rather than the older players. If we can build a cohesive group of young players the we could realistically challenge for the flag in 4 to 5 years. We also need a coach at the helm that does not believe in gold passes and has a solid game plan.

We actually need to start playing mote if the kids rather than the older players. If we can build a cohesive group of young players the we could realistically challenge for the flag in 4 to 5 years. We also need a coach at the helm that does not believe in gold passes and has a solid game plan.

I don't understand this idea of challenging in 5 years time.

Boak and Gray in particular have maybe 2 good years left. We should be doing everything we can to maximise the years we have NOW, whilst at the same time building for life after them.

Imo, that is exactly how the list management team has positioned us.

The difference between our "rebuild" and other bottom feeders like Carlton and Gold Coast is that the majority of our young players actually deserve to.be playing AFL footy in our team. With the exception of Boak and Gray, no aging 28+ year old automatically warrants a spot in our best team.

In 2007 we were able to find lightning in a bottle with some players suddenly stepping up. Not only raising their level of performance to an average position, but these young players suddenly were playing integral roles on the team. At the same time.a few of our older vets like Chad Cornes found one last elite year and you had this cocktail brewing that led to a pretty good year bar the last game of the season.

The AFL is a relatively.even competition compared to most sporting leagues around the world. Every year we see a new team pop up as a legitimate threat who catch others off guard. In 08 it was Hawthorn. In 16 it was the Bulldogs. In 17 it was Richmond.

I'm not saying we are a premiership threat, But if Hinkley gets out of his own way and they are able to.find any sort of.consistency, this team as it has been built will be set up both in the short and long term.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back