Game Day 2019 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You said that as if it is a fact but the truth is, we have no idea. Mills has not been given the opportunity to show what he can bring to the midfield.
Correct. We don’t. And I don’t state it as fact. I wouldn’t have a clue.

But look at the arrogance of the post I was responding to. Horse has no excuse. WTF? Like Horse has to provide reasons to some anonymous muppet on a website as to why he doesn’t select a certain player in the position he thinks he should be selected?

I think McCartin should be CHB. I think Buddy should be on a flank and Sinclair FF with Reid at CHF. I don’t think Horse has to explain to me why that doesn’t happen.

There’s a reason he coaches at the top level on $800k and I coach kids in the burbs.

Crowds don't really effect the level of the comp.
Looking at some of the spuds Dylan was running around in the SANFL this year I'm calling their superiority a historical fact, not a current one.
I think NEAFL haters mostly just remember when it was us, and a few Canberra teams. It's stepped up quite a bit in the last few years.
The crowd numbers were simply a reference point for the funds that are generated and hence player payments.
Also the fact that there are far more talent watchers there.
The top NEAFL guy caught a rookie spot, while the top canberra expectant, caught zip.
Tells a story.
They too have the development squads of the crows and port, but the rest of the comp is superior to the NEAFL

Being old enough to watch John Rantall play was hoping we'd select Jay Rantall, but lots to :heart: about our new Bloods.
from Chris Doerre
Grade: A

Sydney
Sydney strayed away from the script by selecting Dylan Stephens at 5 but found a suitable list fit in the hard-running midfielder who is accustomed to playing against bigger bodies and should earn senior games in season 2020. The Swans patiently traded their picks up to improve their draft hand and in the second round moved up slightly to secure Will Gould and Chad Warner. While Elijah Taylor was their other second round selection. Gould is one of the draft bargains as one of this year's most ready to play, best and most penetrating kicks and most imposing physical presence with the way he bumps and tackles to hurt. Warner will help Sydney's midfield as an aggressive ball winning midfielder who wins a high proportion of ball in contested situations. Taylor as a forward is one of this year's most talented forwards with how quick and clean he is and how it feels like he will make something happen every time he gets his hands on the ball.
Same here. I grew up idolising players like Rantall and Teasdale. There was a romantic connotation associated with seeing a Rantall playing for us again but the club obviously saw the logic beyond the emotion. BTW have we actually clarified the connection to John Rantall?

That is very disturbing. The Academy is designed to give better coaching and development to NSW kids yet consistently there are only the few elite who achieve success over extended period. Requires a serious examination

Can someone explain how we can have 3 top ten picks from Academy yet get none in the 10-60 range? That seems very odd to me. Entrenched unintentional bias and misplaced perception of quality??? Wicks didn’t get a look in to Allies selection yet has fought hard to be with the Swans. Does that tell us something? Is it simply that Academy picks are seen as inherently risky? I don’t understand but something doesn’t add up.
I think the problem with the northern academies results comes down to the numbers of participants. When you are promoting AFL in a non-AFL state these are going to be the issues. Unless a youngster feels confident that he's going to break into AFL he's going to fall back on other codes such as NRL, NRA, soccer, etc. There's no second option in Victoria, SA or WA.

In a class of 30 there should be no more than 2 A's, 4 B's, 6 D's and the rest C's.
I think the word you're looking for is "standardisation". That's why Chinese kids study Mandarin in VCE.

Just interested really in what points we might have to match bids. Assuming we keep our first pick (say 8 for arguments sake) will we have the 2nd and 3rd round picks to cover for Gulden and Campbell?

I think it’s crucial for Academy players to be matched and taken.
Fair point

Horse’s pre-draft shopping list for Beatson and Dalrymple reads

Young defender, AFL ready with the strength of Grundy, leap of Leo, kick of Malceski, run of Shaw, desperation of Dunkley, smarts of Macca, balls of Rampe, marking of Ted, silk of Aliir and the sneakiness of Smith all for less points than pick 25.

“Will this do ?” the recruiters ask, their shoes making little popping sounds as they step through layers of bubble wrap to lift the carefully preserved Gould out of his wooden crate.

“Perfect” says Horse, admiring the naked shivering form before him. “He’s not a Victorian is he ? “No, he’s from Adelaide” replies Beatson

“Ahhh” sighs Horse to no-one in particular. “No go home factor then”

“Put him with the others”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Young defender, AFL ready with the strength of Grundy, leap of Leo, kick of Malceski, run of Shaw, desperation of Dunkley, smarts of Macca, balls of Rampe, marking of Ted, silk of Aliir and the sneakiness of Smith all for less points than pick 25.

“Will this do ?” the recruiters ask, their shoes making little popping sounds as they step through layers of bubble wrap to lift the carefully preserved Gould out of his wooden crate.

“Perfect” says Horse, admiring the naked shivering form before him. “He’s not a Victorian is he ? “No, he’s from Adelaide” replies Beatson

If he gets down to chiseled 95 kegs, will be a beast.

From the AFL web site "Essendon recruiting manager Adrian Dodoro is excited after identifying a need for tall forwards". Has the penny finally dropped ?

Dododoro has two new recruits who could potentially replace Daniher. There's Harrison Jones, a tall skinny forward who could one day kick as many goals as Joe. The other is Lachlan Johnson who, being injured and unable to play, can already kick as many goals as Joe.

Keep taking those drugs Dodo

Wtf are you people on?

When did I make a comment about divisiveness in this thread? That's what your stating.
No it isn't. I'm saying that you're on record that you don't like divisive players or players who do divisive things. Don't get worked up. Things will be okay. 👌

I feel like the Swans Big Footy board has a crush on Will Gould
Count me in!

I've really coveted him from early in the year and became intrigued why he was slipping down everyone's draft board as almost no other draftee has his resume. Country boy, captain of SA, a number of newspaper articles about him in the lead up to the draft talked him up as going to Crows or Port late teens early 20s. Unfortunately even with him slipping he was never going to fall to our second pick, then he does!

Don't think we'll be disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back