Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Welcome to the Den, Deven Robertson (Josie Fielding)
The Brisbane Lions have selected Deven Robertson from Perth with Pick No. 22 at the 2019 NAB AFL Draft.

Robertson, a big-bodied midfielder Captained the winning West Australian team at the Under-18 National Championships. During the competition he averaged 30 disposals per game and was awarded the Larke Medal.

The 18-year-old is respected by his peers for his leadership and hard at the footy contest. The Lions National Recruiting Manager Steve Conole said the Club are thrilled to welcome Robertson into the fold. “Deven had an outstanding draft year where he Captained the winning West Australian team at the Under-18 National Championships,” Conole said. “He’s a competitive young man, with outstanding leadership qualities. “We are excited to see what he will produce at the Lions.”

Welcome to the Den, Deven!

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Lions pounce to take draft slider with first pick of night two (Lee Gaskin)
DRAFT slider Deven Robertson can finally breathe easy after getting picked by Brisbane with the first selection of the second round of the NAB AFL Draft at Marvel Stadium on Thursday night.

Selected with the 22nd pick overall, the Western Australia captain was stunningly overlooked on Wednesday night when he was the only player invited to the first round who wasn't taken. Robertson won the Larke Medal as the best player at this year's under-18 national championships and earned comparisons to courageous Geelong skipper Joel Selwood.

The only knock on Robertson is his kicking efficiency, however his inside clearance work and ability to find the ball are in the top echelon of this year's draftees.
1574930272137.png

Oct 8, 2018
Hobart
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Tassie Devils, Tasmania JackJumpers
Brisbane Lions draftee Deven Robertson eyes Luke Hodge’s number

He felt “embarrassed” as he sat through the opening night of the AFL draft, but new Lion Deven Robertson had plenty of people reaching out. And now he might take on a famous number.

New Brisbane Lions’ hard nut Deven Robertson looks set to be handed Luke Hodge’s No.2 playing guernsey next week.
The Lions traditionally allow their top draft pick to have first choice of the vacant playing numbers after landing at the club.

And Robertson, who was considered one of the toughest and most prolific midfielders in the draft pool, has expressed an interest in taking on Hodge’s No.2 Lions’ jumper.

cont.

some tidbits for people behind the paywall:
Robertson already counted Lachie Neale among his favourite players and will work the star onballer to refine his craft over summer.
“We did have the option to head home [after night 1] and watch it with the family, but I didn’t want to run away from what had happened,” Robertson said.

“I wanted to go home a drafted man.”
“Obviously being overlooked by so many clubs I do feel like I have an opportunity to maybe prove them wrong a little bit,” he said.

“But I definitely don’t hold any grudges against those clubs. I know it’s a business and if they had players rated higher than me then that’s what it is.

“I’m definitely not angry … but I do feel like I’ve got a bit of a point to prove, absolutely.”
“I’m on top of the world now. I can’t wipe the smile off my face and I couldn’t be happier to get to Brisbane.”

He also apparently has a pretty good vinyl record collection. Fagan has a new favourite.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DURING all of the first-round drama, Deven Robertson remained on the draft shelf.

The Larke medallist and gun West Australian midfielder had been considered for the Blues' Philp spot, and at Richmond's choice, while Geelong had also discussed him on the night.

He was the only player to attend the opening night of the draft and not leave an AFL player, but moves were afoot the next day as clubs vied to get up the order and grab him.

Nearly half of the competition was interested in Port's pick 22 that opened the second round, but Brisbane was keenest to move up a spot from pick No.23 to swoop on the midfielder. In fact, had they not offloaded their first-round pick in a pre-draft deal with Port, the Lions would likely have snapped up Robertson then.

They didn't let their second chance go missing. Brisbane offered a future second-round pick to take Port's pick, and even though Port wasn't going to select Robertson there, the Lions had to make sure their offer beat others', including Adelaide, who were trying to inch up the board.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back