List Mgmt. 2019 Draft Prospects

AJARWA

All Australian
Mar 2, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
McLean's footy IQ is one of his stronger points, and I think his contested game is pretty underrated. I just feel he could end up exploring further opportunity due to the squeeze of spots. No one will touch the big 3 (Bont, Macrae, Dunkley) but we then have Libba, Wallis, Lipinski, Smith and McLean all competing for maybe 3 spots. Add West to that mix, and it wouldn't surprise me if someone is lost to explore more opportunity.
Agree. Libba, Wallis, McLean could all be gone this time next year. Williams is another who will struggle to get games, if he doesn't lock down the spare wing, and could be tradable for a low pick.

The club should have plenty enough picks/points to draft the academy listed players. Don't see it being a problem. Some supporters may just have to accept losing decent depth next trade period, which is not uncommon at successful clubs (more recently tigers, hawks).

AJARWA

All Australian
Mar 2, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I agree, but it seems to be heading that way. My bet would be they've got the first 8 picks nailed. GWS might go Young still though.
I'm still not sure why they picked him. Not even sure it's best available. Reckon the WA clubs would be kicking their lips.

Pickett I kind of understand. But also seems speculative.

Triple Baileys

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
McLean's footy IQ is one of his stronger points, and I think his contested game is pretty underrated. I just feel he could end up exploring further opportunity due to the squeeze of spots. No one will touch the big 3 (Bont, Macrae, Dunkley) but we then have Libba, Wallis, Lipinski, Smith and McLean all competing for maybe 3 spots. Add West to that mix, and it wouldn't surprise me if someone is lost to explore more opportunity.

Every year, every team gets injuries. 4 or 5 injuries and we're playing Roarke. There will be heaps of opportunities for all of them to grab.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Every year, every team gets injuries. 4 or 5 injuries and we're playing Roarke. There will be heaps of opportunities for all of them to grab.
That's fine and all, but if McLean is having to rely on others being injured for him to get a game, instead of securing his spot in our best 22, then it wouldn't surprise me to see him look elsewhere

That's fine and all, but if McLean is having to rely on others being injured for him to get a game, instead of securing his spot in our best 22, then it wouldn't surprise me to see him look elsewhere
Or better still, rather than cracking the sh*ts, he realises he's no longer a walk up start and decides to do everything he can to lift his game.

The arrival of talented players at the club and vying for scarce spots in the seniors can never be a bad thing.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Club Zero

Ben Cavarra: 173 cm 72 kg (Small Forward)
Buku Khamis: 189 cm 82 kg (Defender)
Callum Porter: 182 cm 76 kg (Midfielder)
Jordon Sweet: 203 cm 106 kg (Ruck God and all round nice guy)
Laitham Vandermeer: 180 cm 77 kg (Flanker)

Cody Weightman: 177 cm 73 kg (Small Forward, Love Island Fan)
Louis Butler: 183 cm 74 kg (Defender)
Riley Garcia: 175 cm 68 kg (Midfielder)

Who will be the first to play a senior game in the future ?

The fans they are excited,
They know they're in for a treat,
All aboard the train to greatness,
With the ruck god Jordon Sweet,
I hate to derail the train,
And leave you feeling devo,
But when it comes to monster rucks,
They are not rated by Bevo.

Oct 12, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Club Zero

Weightman and Cavarra

Club Zero

'Stan' Butler
1575155356220.png

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Club Zero

Gonna go out on a limb here and say Vandermeer.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Or better still, rather than cracking the sh*ts, he realises he's no longer a walk up start and decides to do everything he can to lift his game.

The arrival of talented players at the club and vying for scarce spots in the seniors can never be a bad thing.
If someone's ceiling as a player is reached, and there is too much quality ahead, they may look to other teams that don't have the level of depth we have. He struggles for a spot in our side, yet he'd be a walk up start at Gold Coast, Sydney, Saints and Carlton, among others. And that's without a single ounce of improvement.

I'd much rather see him do his best to force us to select him each week, but if he starts to reach his ceiling as a player and still struggles for a consistent spot, looking elsewhere is a logical option. Sam Lloyd basically did that, and ended up rejuvenating his career with us despite arguably no improvement on his previous form

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Club Zero

Vandemeer is the stand out of that list

If someone's ceiling as a player is reached, and there is too much quality ahead, they may look to other teams that don't have the level of depth we have. He struggles for a spot in our side, yet he'd be a walk up start at Gold Coast, Sydney, Saints and Carlton, among others. And that's without a single ounce of improvement.

I'd much rather see him do his best to force us to select him each week, but if he starts to reach his ceiling as a player and still struggles for a consistent spot, looking elsewhere is a logical option. Sam Lloyd basically did that, and ended up rejuvenating his career with us despite arguably no improvement on his previous form
IMO in 2019 McLean was playing below his previous best form. Let's see what happens when he plays up to the sort of form he's shown he's capable of.

After he's done that, let's consider his ceiling. I reckon he can improve further. He turns 24 in January so he should be entering his prime years.

If he's not able to do any of that, or if he's not prepared to and wants to leave, then I'm OK with him leaving. He finished 2019 as marginal best 22 despite some players being injured. He'd still be good trade currency at this age.

perro_loco

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2016
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boca Juniors
I'd play Mclean over Wally, and suspect Libba's in decline (poor knees) - so that already puts him on the ground. Then if you throw in an inevitable injury and we actually need him. I'd be disappointed to lose him. But do understand he could be an unqualified lock at other clubs so could look around
Mclean, Libba and Wallis. Beware, Mr Garcia is coming for your spot in the team!

Back